Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced a new firmware update for the AirPods Pro 2, including both the Lightning model and the new USB-C model. The new firmware is version 6B32, up from the 6A305 firmware introduced in October.

airpods-pro-2-pink.jpg

Apple does not provide details on what features might be included in the refreshed firmware, so it is unclear what's new in the update, but prior software releases have been refining functionality introduced in iOS 17.

iOS 17 added several new features for the AirPods Pro 2, such as Adaptive Audio. Adaptive Audio, which combines ANC and Transparency, is meant to deliver an ideal audio experience that blocks out loud or distracting noises.

Adaptive Audio includes Conversation Awareness and Personalized Volume. Conversation Awareness detects when someone speaks to you, lowering the volume of what's playing and cutting down on background noise so you can hear. Personalized Volume takes into account your listening preferences and the noise in the environment to adjust sound levels.

Other new features include an option to mute and unmute the microphone by pressing on the AirPods Pro stem, faster automatic switching between devices, and support for activating Siri without including the "Hey" wake word.

Apple does not offer instructions on how to upgrade AirPods software, but firmware is generally installed over-the-air while the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ are connected to an iOS device. Putting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ in the case, connecting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to a power source, and then pairing the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to an iOS device or Mac should force the update.

You can check your ‌‌‌AirPods‌‌ or ‌‌‌‌‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ firmware by following these steps:
  • Connect your ‌‌‌‌‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌‌‌‌‌ to your iOS device.
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap General.
  • Tap About.
  • Tap ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌.
  • Look at the number next to "Firmware Version."
If we learn more about what's new in the firmware release, we'll update this article.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Firmware for AirPods Pro 2

Reactions: sydneysider88

srknpower

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
I think Apple is still fine tuning the Adaptive Audio, Conversation Awareness and Personalized Volume features. Weird that they couldn’t handle it yet. Also, it is nice that they frequently release updates and a nicer thing is these updates are seamless.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I wish they could fix how damn hot the AirPods get when wireless charging. They get so warm I don't want to charge wirelessly because I'm afraid the heat is hurting the batteries.
Which charger are you using? I am using Apple's own chargers (e.g., Apple Watch, MagSafe Duo, and MagSafe Charger), and it never gets more than mildly warm. And even that happens only once in awhile.

Hopefully, this will finally fix the audio dropout issue.

gazter

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Possibly fix how loud the lowest volume setting is? I can't put them on low enough to go to sleep to. The APP2 (USBC) seem to have a much louder lowest setting than APP1.

• Wow
Reactions: iLuddite

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Well the other option is that they not fix any bugs. I'm sure you don't want that. :)
LOL. It wasn't a complaint. It's a curiosity over whether the firmware has been much more buggier than "normal" or perhaps improvements are being made, etc.; i.e., what is going on.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Again? I guess I’ll listen to something for about 20 minutes, then put them back in their case, place it next to my phone at night and it’ll update overnight.

Reactions: ignatius345

JPMichaels

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2023
Again? I guess I’ll listen to something for about 20 minutes, then put them back in their case, place it next to my phone at night and it’ll update overnight.
This update method is beyond horrible. Only a bean counter like Tim Cook could come with something that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. My Airpod Pros are stuck at 6A300 and would not update to the last update either.

EPIC FAIL APPLE!

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Wow, ok. Why such frequent firmware updates for APP? I think this might be the third or so update since I got these buds.

As much as I love mine and as much as they are clearly improved over the first generation, the adaptive audio especially could still use some tuning. It’s a tough trick to get right and I don’t think they’re there yet.

Reactions: whsbuss and srbNYC

JPMichaels

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2023
Does anyone have a full proof plan to force an update. I think a month is long enough to wait.
They both connected to power and each other.

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
Before I even realized mine had updated in my pocket. Maybe it'll fix some of the issues I was having with MacOS Sonoma where the volume would constantly reset.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This update method is beyond horrible. Only a bean counter like Tim Cook could come with something that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. My Airpod Pros are stuck at 6A300 and would not update to the last update either.

EPIC FAIL APPLE!
Yes, I’m sure Tim was in the room when they made the decision on how they should be updated.

Reactions: Robert.Walter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.