Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shah!n

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2022
Mine is already updated.
1699564765720.png

Reactions: whsbuss

VacTacks11

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Can’t say “foolproof” but this has never failed. Look for the comment by leventozler. I was able to update both my Lightning and USB-C AirPods today doing this.

If you don't have a MacBook, I always had luck listening to music for 30 seconds, then put the AirPods back into the case. Close the case for 10 seconds, then bring it right up to the phone and open it. You should see the pop-up that shows the battery.

Plug the AirPods in to charge and leave the case open while they're near the iPhone. Leave your iPhone alone for a while. That always worked for me.

One thing I ALWAYS do after a firmware update is I open the case, go into Bluetooth settings, then Forget Device. I close the case, walk away, open the case and hold down the back button until the light flashes white.

Close the case, then re-add to my phone. Probably don't have to do that, but I've never had an issue updating the firmware on my AirPods or my Max.

Good luck.

TestedLion

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
Pleasantly surprised to notice that about 10 minutes after rebooting my iPhone after the iOS 17.2 update, my Airpods Pro 2 case made a little "ding" sound and, sure enough, it had updated to the latest firmware. That's a first me, especially how quickly it happened.

I had meetings after that switching between my MBP and iPhone - and was pleasantly surprised to see the hand-off between each actually work, and work quickly.

Hopefully Teams works better with the Airpods - because it's been a hot mess for a while. Worst symptoms are (and randomly) "robot" voice, very delayed audio/microphone after joining a meeting (sometimes 15 to 20 seconds), or just sounding very muffled... all things which didn't occur with the first generation of Airpods.

the Airpods were only charging like normal, nothing else special happening.

Last edited:

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
So has anyone successfully been able to update to 6B32 yet?
Yes. Normal process. Open the case. Place next to the iPhone. Close the pop-up. Go to Settings. See the AirPods Pro 2 at the top of settings. Click and scroll to see the version. Close Settings. Close the case. Leave it next to the iPhone for ~20 minutes. Open the AirPods Pro 2 case again and go through to Settings again and see that has updated to 6B32.

Polinsky

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2023
View attachment 2309981
- "notes"? This isn't a note, let alone "notes" - it is one bullet point that does not mean anything, and
- terrible update method
Terrible update method?? Do you mean that I just used them and they were updated without any intervention on my part. Couldn't have been easier. This is why I now disbelieve most assertions made in forums. It''s just complaining because that's what everyone seems to do here, especially when it comes to Apple.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Yes. Normal process. Open the case. Place next to the iPhone. Close the pop-up. Go to Settings. See the AirPods Pro 2 at the top of settings. Click and scroll to see the version. Close Settings. Close the case. Leave it next to the iPhone for ~20 minutes. Open the AirPods Pro 2 case again and go through to Settings again and see that has updated to 6B32.
Cheers, it's updated. My mistake? I hadn't closed the case again.

AdamZA_

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2023

Signed up for an account just to say this worked perfectly first try. Thank you. I left it on a MagSafe charger at the time and left it for around 15 mins.

Reactions: jdb8167

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
As much as I love mine and as much as they are clearly improved over the first generation, the adaptive audio especially could still use some tuning. It’s a tough trick to get right and I don’t think they’re there yet.
I’ve disabled it. Every time I connected a different level was set. Annoying to get back to my favorite 58% level

Edit: sorry I meant personalize audio

gamerdude

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2015
wow that worked.

Reactions: jdb8167

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I’ve disabled it. Every time I connected a different level was set. Annoying to get back to my favorite 58% level

Edit: sorry I meant personalize audio

Yeah that one may also be why it sounds weird to me sometimes. Suddenly I’ll notice I’m hearing a lot more out of one ear.

Reactions: whsbuss

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
I think Apple is still fine tuning the Adaptive Audio, Conversation Awareness and Personalized Volume features. Weird that they couldn’t handle it yet. Also, it is nice that they frequently release updates and a nicer thing is these updates are seamless.
Agreed. But even nicer would be if they told us the purpose of the update just as frequently.

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
Got the update, haven’t noticed a difference yet. They do need to step up against counterfeiters though, it’s getting ridiculous out there, even with authorized retailers taking fake returns and reselling them.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I think Apple is still fine tuning the Adaptive Audio, Conversation Awareness and Personalized Volume features. Weird that they couldn’t handle it yet. Also, it is nice that they frequently release updates and a nicer thing is these updates are seamless.
There’s a lot of edge cases that likely crop up after wider release. My friend has an electric fly swatter and sometimes the SNAP of it working gets amplified :) They don’t do it close to me too often, but every now and again it’s quite teh surprise!

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Wonder if they are ever going to fix the overly loud “read notifications” on the APP2? This update does not fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.