Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
The following comments are based on standard configs. I'm aware you can change things around with BTO but that's not the point.

Good:
2.5 GHz. It's not 3GHz but it's still 2x500MHz better than what was available before.

Better superdrive but this was expected.

Bad:
Attrocious video cards. $3500CDN for a 64mb FX5200Ultra?? Is that a joke? Apple has a lot of cahones to be charging a premium for such a ****e component.

Crippled low end model. Yes, I know it's the low end model, but 256mb ram?? Good god. And old school PCI cards? Totally unnecessary.

Oh well. Are the prices the same?

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003
hvfsl said:
Well I wont be getting one, they use last generations graphics cards.

Not to mention that but you also lose one of your PCI-X slots if you get one of the 9800 256MB monsters... :(

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Nice that the 1.8 and 2.0 are down in price but we're still getting screwed for $200-$400 more than the US prices (yes that take into account sales tax).

How long until the 2.5GHz machines ACTUALLY ship? The store says JULY...

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
What happened to the 9800 XT? Didn't the X800 just come out, why aren't they using that???

jocknerd

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2002
Virginia
New dual 1.8's?

Why does Apple continue to do this ****? The 1.8's were great. Now they are in the same board that the 1.6 was in. Only 4GB's of memory. Wouldn't you save money, Apple, if you only made 1 motherboard? I'll never understand Apples need to cripple their bottom end systems. I guess these will sell about as well as the 1.6's did last year.

I was ready to purchase the 1.8. Not now. Good job Apple.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
In the G5 tech specs it says they're using 90nm processors. I wonder if that is for the whole range or just the 2.5GHz. I wonder if they need the liquid cooling or if it just makes the engineering a bit easier/allows them to run a bit cooler. You'd think they sure wouldn't need it on the 1.8 and 2.0 if they are 90nm.

PRØBE

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
Imac graphic card wimp

jocknerd said:
So one new Mac to show for a whole year? Not complaining. 2.5ghz is fast. But come on Apple, there have been changes in the graphics world. FX5200? Get real. That card belongs in a $400 PC.

I'm glad to see the PowerMacs come only in a dual processor format now. That definitely makes way for a G5 iMac. But considering the crappy graphics card in the PM, I guess we shouldn't expect to be able to play games in the iMac with the card they'll probably put in that.

Good point. I was hoping for a 128mb card in the new imac but that looks unlikely now. What are Mac gamers supposed to buy?

jocknerd

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2002
Virginia
Buck72 said:
OMG I am so glad I got an RMA to send back my dual 1.8 yesterday. Almost got screwed out of 500 bucks.

You better rethink that. The 1.8's are now crippled compared to before.

machinehead

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2002
NY
jxyama said:
should i light the fire and suggest that 3.0 is still possible at wwdc - just for announcement with later shipping?

Absolutely ... we need a little excitement around here for a change ... :p

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
maybe

I am going to ask my dad about geting me the dual 1.8 instead of getting me an emac...its a thousand dollar difference but i cant stand the emac's crt nor will I wait 5 months for g5 imac to ship.

denisg

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2004
Newton, MA
By the end of the year that 2.5 model will be the "crappy" entry-level model......while this isn't moving as fast as everyone wanted, the PM lineup going forward is going to be pretty damn impressive.......

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
You people drive me insane.

.5 Ghz in a year is an amazign effort.

If you don't think so, you really need to do some research.

True, Apple is all glamour, but that's mostly Steve.

Behind it all, they are a technology company who must abide to the laws of nature. It's not magic.

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
denisg said:
By the end of the year that 2.5 model will be the "crappy" entry-level model......while this isn't moving as fast as everyone wanted, the PM lineup going forward is going to be pretty damn impressive.......

What the hell? lol

No it won't.

jocknerd

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2002
Virginia
Jedda said:
You people drive me insane.

.5 Ghz in a year is an amazign effort.

If you don't think so, you really need to do some research.

True, Apple is all glamour, but that's mostly Steve.

Behind it all, they are a technology company who must abide to the laws of nature. It's not magic.

I, for one, am not complaining about the ghz. I'm complaining about the crappy video cards and the crippled motherboard for 1.8's.

denisg

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2004
Newton, MA
broken_keyboard said:
I wonder why the 2.5 needs liquid coolers on the CPU modules? Are they still 130nm?

Probably the 2.5s are the first batch of the new chips and that's why the big jump from the other models. Hopefully, these are the slowest of the new batch and this model goes right to the entry level position at the next upgrade (2.5, 2.8, 3.0).

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
macridah said:
are these babies using the 90nm chips?

pretty good news, not great news.

it does :eek: ... had to read the G5 tech overview. BTW, liquid cooling only on the dual 2.5's. The inside still looks the same as before, maybe only the dual 2.5's are have the different interior like the one showed in the service manual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.