Apple Releases Revised macOS Catalina Supplemental Update

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new supplemental update for macOS Catalina, nearly one week after releasing the first supplemental update and two weeks after the launch of macOS Catalina.

The update can be downloaded through the Software Update section of the System Preferences app, but it may be limited to those who didn't download the first supplemental update as it appears to be a minor incremental change that offers the same release notes as the first version.

The ?macOS Catalina? Supplemental Update includes installation and reliability improvements, and is recommended for all users.

This update:
- Improves installation reliability of ?macOS Catalina? on Macs with low disk space
- Fixes an issue that prevented Setup Assistant from completing during some installations
- Resolves an issue that prevents accepting iCloud Terms and Conditions when multiple ?iCloud? accounts are logged in
- Improves the reliability of saving Game Center data when playing Apple Arcade games offline
Apple is also working on a macOS Catalina 10.15.1 update, which is available to developers at the current time.

Article Link: Apple Releases Revised macOS Catalina Supplemental Update

Reactions: Xenc

Eorlas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
This is worse than iOS updates

i dont really understand all the griping about updates this season between iOS and catalina. they're not the most solid of releases, but i'd prefer apple to be on more frequent updating schedules.

they tend to just release the occasional major .x update, but otherwise nothing important happens except for once a year. so especially in the case of iOS, the software gets incredibly stale with the lack of progress, which mostly only takes place with jailbreak tweaks.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
its not out for me, but I downloaded the last one, strange would be diff build number no

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
i dont really understand all the griping about updates this season between iOS and catalina. they're not the most solid of releases, but i'd prefer apple to be on more frequent updating schedules.

Your interpretation: Apple is fixing bugs rapidly
Other people's interpretation: Apple has an unacceptable number of bugs that need rapid fixes

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
how do u get it as I have last weeks one, its one build number ahead, its not showing for me

chris4565

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
how do u get it as I have last weeks one, its one build number ahead, its not showing for me
Yup, also not showing up for me. Apparently it's not available for users who already installed the first supplemental update.

CLS727

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2018
My iCloud login is stuck in some kind of loop.

Keep asking for my iCloud password then my Mac password over and over again. Not holding it.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Yup, also not showing up for me. Apparently it's not available for users who already installed the first supplemental update.
strange, apple has never done that before even tho its minor its still something

nathan_reilly

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016

they tend to just release the occasional major .x update, but otherwise nothing important happens except for once a year. so especially in the case of iOS, the software gets incredibly stale with the lack of progress, which mostly only takes place with jailbreak tweaks.

I actually don't get this at all. I've used macs for years and never found them "stale". Usually when UI changes come around I adjust just fine to them...but I don't crave them by any means. They don't change the work I do on my computer vastly, or how I feel about it...

I much rather Apple focus on stability and security than aesthetics, but on the whole I don't feel like I'm yearning for new shiny features every year.

*edit: I guess the gist of it is: less update frequency, more update stability. That's my preference.

sugargliderdude

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2019
I actually don't get this at all. I've used macs for years and never found them "stale". Usually when UI changes come around I adjust just fine to them...but I don't crave them by any means. They don't change the work I do on my computer vastly, or how I feel about it...

I much rather Apple focus on stability and security than aesthetics, but on the whole I don't feel like I'm yearning for new shiny features every year.

i would be very happy with IOS releasing one year, then macOS releasing the following year, not sure we need yearly releases...

nt5672

macrumors 68020
Jun 30, 2007
So do I have this correct, this is a supplemental update to the supplemental update?

Or is this a supplemental update to the supplemental update to the the supplemental update?

Something is rotten at the core of Apple if releases are so bad that Apple has to push put immediate updates immediately after a previous emergency update.

Mighuel

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
Finland
My iCloud login is stuck in some kind of loop.

Keep asking for my iCloud password then my Mac password over and over again. Not holding it.
I got the same problem. Solved it by logging out, reboot and logging back in. It’s quite widespread problem and Apple should do something about it soon. Probably 10.15.1 will fix it for everybody.

sugargliderdude

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2019
So do I have this correct, this is a supplemental update to the supplemental update?

Or is this a supplemental update to the supplemental update to the the supplemental update?

Something is rotten at the core of Apple if releases are so bad that Apple has to push put immediate updates immediately after a previous emergency update.

it seems to be an updated supplement, if you previously downloaded the previous one, this one won't be available.

nathan_reilly

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
orrrr like a tick tock schedule. But really ideally not. Just let the software engineers conceptualize, design and refine features until they are ready for us to enjoy! And then send them on over! I wish apple didn't feel compelled to re hash everything each october

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.