Apple Releases Safari 12 for macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today released Safari 12 for macOS Sierra and High Sierra, introducing the same Safari improvements that are coming to macOS Mojave in the Safari 12 software bundled with that update.

Safari 12 is recommended for all macOS High Sierra users and can be downloaded from the Software Update function in the Mac App Store.

Safari 12 brings support for creating and storing strong, unique passwords, flagging reused passwords in Safari Preferences, preventing social media buttons and embedded content from tracking you across websites, and suppressing ad retargeting by limiting the amount of information available about your Mac.

Apple's full release notes for the update are below:
    The update also includes several fixes for security vulnerabilities, outlined in an Apple support document on the security content of Safari 12.

macOS Mojave with Safari 12 built in will be released to the public on Monday, September 24.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 12 for macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra

2. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

interesting I thought this was gonna be for 10.14 Mojave

3. Elmo1938 macrumors member

Elmo1938

tried to update. gotyhis message

“Safari” cannot be updated because its extensions are in use by “Spotlight”. Click OK and quit the application.

I did quit Safari but it seems to want more! iu.jpeg

4. StellarVixen, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018

StellarVixen macrumors 6502

StellarVixen

Favicons are disabled by default. Go to the Preferences --> Tabs and check Show Website Icons in tabs.

uBlock Origin and Ghostery got disabled, and I got the dialogue window that they are now in the App Store, like all other extensions. However, this is not true. There is high chance you are not gonna find the extension you need on the App Store.

Going to Safari Extensions also takes you to the App Store, so you cannot enable your old extensions from there. To make your old extensions work, what you need to do is go to the Preferences --> Extensions, and enable your extensions from there.

I got the first taste of this in Safari Tech Preview, so I knew this was coming.

5. snitch30 macrumors newbie

snitch30

I tried to update to it, but this is the error I'm getting,
    “Safari” cannot be updated because its extensions are in use by “Spotlight”. Click OK and quit the application.

I clicked OK and also quit the application and still couldn't update it. Tried removing all safari extensions, relaunched finder, relaunched app store and still the errors stays the same.

6. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Would love the ability to automatically clear cookies when closing specific sites. Chrome offers this and it's great for sites that allow you to view only a couple articles a month without paying. By removing the cookies you reset the limit but it's a bit of a pain to go in and do it manually each time. Instead Chrome can clear the, when you leave the site so next time you return is like the first time with a fresh limit.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2018 ---
    It will be but since the browser is independent of the OS version and will be available for those staying on the older OS versions, why not ship it now. Safari updates are always released independently of the main OS releases.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Just updated with no problems. Nice and quick.

8. Civic Minded macrumors member

Civic Minded

Mine was behaving the same way. I had to restart my computer and then went straight to the App Store after that. That made it work finally.

9. Spendlove macrumors 6502

Spendlove

Yep. Ghostery and UBlock Origin were all disabled in the update but easy enough to add them back in the preferences. Ghostery sent a message a long time ago saying it would be updated to "Safari Lite" whatever that means.

https://www.ghostery.com/blog/ghostery-news/ghostery-lite-exclusively-for-safari-users/

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That does not work for me. My old, non-compliant extensions are gone from that pane and when I redownload and try to install them, I get this. Clicking OK just closes the popup.

Am I missing something?

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 12.22.02 PM.png

11. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

While I agree that’s convenient in some cases, opening said website in a private window does the same thing.

12. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I'm guessing this would make me lose (access to) my Sessions data? May have to delay the upgrade until later.

Improves security by only supporting legacy Safari Extensions that have been reviewed by Apple

13. StellarVixen macrumors 6502

StellarVixen

Well, that's a bummer. If you have the develop menu enabled, try "Allow unsigned extensions".

14. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Same here. It disabled uBlock and Blur, claiming they would slow Safari down. I re-enabled them and Safari is running about as well as it always did so far.

15. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Safari feels...............................happier.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I checked that and still get the same thing. The extension is Custom Search at this link. Are you able to install it?

http://sidetree.com/extensions.html

17. StellarVixen macrumors 6502

StellarVixen

Well, then you have to get your hands dirty. :)

Download the extension, change the file extension from .safariextz to zip. Extract files.

Click "Show Extension Builder" in Develop menu. On the lower left corner there is a plus button. Click it. Then choose the "Add Extension".

When you get asked to, open the folder where the extracted files of your extension are. Then click "Run" in the upper right corner of Extension Builder.

Done. Now your extension shall be working like a charm.

18. achappy macrumors member

achappy

Good to see this was ported to High Sierra. Since I have a mid 2011 iMac I can't upgrade to Mojave and really the only thing I wanted was Favicons. I've been using them on the iPad in iOS12 and love them.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm on it... thanks so much for the help. :)

20. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Sounds like it wants Spotlight to be quit. You can do that in Activity Monitor. Not sure if it will start up again right away.

... and ironically, posting this using Safari 12 and the Reply behaviour is acting very strange here at MacRumors. Not sure if that's a browser issue or if the website needs to be updated to be compliant? The quoted text takes a long time to appear.

21. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Can Apple decide on how its updates come???

So we don't get macOS Mohave today but we get Safari 12? And why are these separate?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2018 ---
    A version of uBlock is on the App Store, not sure about the developer, as it's based on open source code.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Safari 12 does not like ad-blockers, unless they are coming directly from the App Store.

23. fokmik macrumors 68030

"Adds the ability to view website icons in tabs"
    what tabs? i dont get any icons on my tabs

EDIT: sry, it wasn't ON by default

24. StellarVixen macrumors 6502

StellarVixen

It's not the uBlock Origin.