Apple Releases Safari 12 for macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 17, 2018.

1. RossoNunzio macrumors member

RossoNunzio

can you see the update of Safari in software update? I have the same mac yours with 10.3.6 just put but I do not see update for safari and I wanted to avoid installing pkg not taken directly from the Apple site.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... it came up as an update in the App Store app for me.

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 11.03.03 AM.png

3. RossoNunzio macrumors member

RossoNunzio

Thanks ... I solved with a logout from macAppStore which is one of the worst macos apps on the High Sierra.

4. Peter_M macrumors member

Yes, I can confirm that it now works again. :)

5. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Thank you for posting this.
    Just installed and works fine!

6. MacSince1985 macrumors 6502

Safari now suffers from the same color management as Chrome. Colors are over-saturated on wide gamut displays. Time to switch to Firefox if I don't want to go blind.

7. ItWasNotMe macrumors 6502

Broke the BBC.co.uk website for me, my main site for news and sport. All the following work perfectly in previous Safari and current Chrome:
    • Randomly forgets my login when starting Safari, so often I now need to log-in again
    • Randomly forgets my login when opening a new tab from an already logged-in page
    • Generally loses entries when I post on the bulletin boards
    • A few times gave message about undefined variable (or similar), immediately revisiting the same page its then fine
    • Loses about 25% of embedded jpg images, either works perfectly or loses most of those on a page
    This applied to previous version of Safari as well, Chrome always works fine
    • 50/50 whether it beach-balls if I try to play embedded video clips
    So, just changed my default browsing habits...

8. nevilleward macrumors newbie

[*]Improves security by discontinuing support for most NPAPI plug-ins

This is what I am having trouble with - one of the systems I use regularly is in Silverlight. But, Silverlight no longer even shows up in "Plug-Ins". I downloaded and re-installed a few times before I realized Apple had broke it on me.

Any suggestions? From my understanding, Silverlight is not actively supported anymore by Microsoft.

9. Peter_M macrumors member

Look on the bright side though, BBC's journalism is pretty biased and weak (with a few exceptions ofc). Better to read something else anyway. ;)

I've always found various issues here and there with Safari, if you want something that "always" work, go with Firefox or Chrome. Safari is still my go-to web browser, mostly out of habit I guess.

10. ItWasNotMe macrumors 6502

So much for standards though that Chrome and Safari don't even lay out the same page in the same manner. For example Live cricket, Safari shows refreshing scores alongside refreshing text, whereas Chrome shows one or the other. So were it reliable I'd prefer Safari but it breaks so often I increasingly use Chrome..

Now off topic:

Agree with the journalism comment though, BBC trying to reinvent itself as social media rather than serious commentary. Also has dual (or triple or more) standards on quoting web-links; covers its pages in Twitter links you can't opt out of and then may or may not moderate out your comment if you include a link, even when its a link to one of the Twitter items that its put on its page.

11. jordii, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018

jordii macrumors regular

I reverted to Safari 11 for this reason.

SafariRestore looks like it might do the trick. Would you mind reporting back if you do try it?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2018 ---

I downgraded to Safari 11 because of this, but it looks like SessionRestore might be the solution. Please report back if you try it!

12. fmalloy macrumors 6502

Security is so tight now that Apple will no longer even let me view my own security IP camera because the web page viewer relies on an H.264 plug-in that is now suddenly unsupported. Gee, thanks for looking after me!

I guess Apple is being the ultimate helicopter parent - telling you what you can and can't view.

Pretty soon Safari will be locked down so tight that you won't be able to access any web site except store.apple.com.

But it's for YOUR protection.

13. DrBrush macrumors newbie

Breaks Zotero, which is an online reference management system. Zotero say that they will (cannot?) comply with the requirements Apple puts into Safari and therefore recommend that everyone that uses Zotero moves away from Safari to FireFox or Chrome.

Well done Apple.

14. bestlaw macrumors newbie

I think the name is changed to "Session Restore".
    You can download it from https://safari-extensions.apple.com
    I tried this extension for two days.
    I would say "Sessions" is more user friendly. The interface is more clear and easy to use.
    Function of "Session Restore" is similar to "Sessions".
    For example, in Settings you can check "Autosave session every x minutes" and "Open Sessions page on startup.
    However, if you want to edit (drag/remove) the hyperlinks in each session that you saved, you need to right click your mouse to click "SessionRestore Edit" first.
    "Session Restore" can at least fulfil my needs so I won't revert to Safari 11. It's too time consuming.
    I think you can install these 2 extensions and compare to see if you can accept "Session Restore" or not.

15. fmalloy macrumors 6502

The hubris of Apple is unbelievable. To completely eliminate plug-ins and extensions, and just expect/demand everyone to comply is disgusting. Truly the 900lb gorilla.

I wish someone would come along and completely change the WiFi standard, Bluetooth standard, and LTE protocols and just tell Apple to "deal with it".

16. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

I’m highly surprised, Apple doesn’t provide a proper adblocker in Safari. Or as an add on option.

17. Peter_M macrumors member

Hmm, it seems all the free adblockers don't block various ads anymore in Safari. Was this done on purpose by Apple? So now I need to buy an Adblocker, that might not even work properly - judging by the free ones.
    This was the final straw for me, I'm now using Firefox instead.

18. vishkash macrumors newbie

dear friend,
    please help me to solve this problem
    I am using MacBook Pro [early 2011]
    Internal
    Sata internal physical disk 500.11gb
    -Machintosh 249.7gb

*the problem is that i made partition for windows 10 (249gb) and i ERASED IT.
    -now if i tried to create partiton i cant able to do/
    =can u pls give some idea??????

19. Pearl Wisdom macrumors member

You should ask this as a new question rather than burying it within an unrelated discussion. Sounds like you need a back up for one or more of your partitions, and that you might need to do some things with Disk Utility.

20. vishkash, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018

vishkash macrumors newbie

dear member,
    if u have some steps showing HOW to do just send me so that it will be useful for me to sort out??

21. Sally G macrumors newbie

Friefox is doing the same thing; I just upgraded after having not used/upgraded for multiple versions, and about half the plug-ins/extensions were disabled “legacy”, deemed unsafe or developers could not deal with the extensive changes required. Not loving all of this; glad I am old.

22. jordii macrumors regular

Since this needs to be repeated every time Safari is launched, I wonder if there's any way to make an applescript do this. If so, I could use a launcher app (e.g. Alfred) to trigger the script whenever Safari needs to be launched (to be more precise, one scripted action would launch Safari, and another one would restart the extension...and this script would launch via keyboard shortcut whenever I want to start Safari).