Apple Releases Safari 12 for macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 17, 2018.

1. iVoid macrumors 65816

Safari 12 doesn't support the Java 8/10 plugin any more. Just says 'unsupported plugin'. Safari 10 & 11 required you to approve each website using Java, but at least it worked.

Pretty much means there are no Java plugin capable browsers (Personally, I don't care, but my company still has Java sites that they haven't updated with HTML5 sites).

2. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Ghostery does that too. Canvas fingerprinting was scary when it was new, several years ago, nowadays countering it has become much possible.

*sips coffee*

3. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I use AdGuard (standalone app, paid) - probably why I'm not having any problems. I don't use any browser extensions that block ads. I know on my iPhone it does a VPN to remove ads.

4. K&E macrumors newbie

K&E

Has anyone else experiencing longer loading times, like webpages loading as you scroll down? Before the update Macrumors site seemed to load for me all at once so if I scrolled down everything was already there. Now when I visit any site when I scroll down to continue reading it appears to be a blank page and I have to wait a few seconds for it to load.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Same issues here.

6. MacBird macrumors 6502a

There are a couple of free Adblockers in the App Store. I searched 'Adblock' and there is Adblock 1.9.1 which has a whitelist option.

7. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Had the same issue. Extension got disabled right after installing the new Safari and needed to be manually re-enabled (with all the warnings etc.). Is there any ad-blocker extensions that doesn't supposedly 'slow down' my web browsing? AdGuard was already using Safari's native Content Blocking API...

8. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Updated just fine on my ancient 2012 mbp classic..

9. technole macrumors regular

technole

No, they always update Safari for one release back at-least. Safari 11 was on Sierra.

10. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

This happened to me too. Apparently AdBlock has an app in the app store now that functions the same. I guess they got bullied by apple as supposedly apple is trying to rid of 3rd party safari extensions.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2018 ---
    Happened to me. Got the message that AdBlock was slowing down my browsing even though it wasn't this bad before the update. I just downloaded Adblock from the app store and KaBlock or w.e. its called. Works fine now

11. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

I disabled nothing and installed seamlessly.

12. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Nice troubleshooting

13. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Try restarting your Mac and quickly open App Store and updating. Worked for me.

14. ATC macrumors 65816

I really don't like the direction Apple is taking with this. First, it disabled my ABP which was working great for me and won't allow me to install, forcing to go through the MAS which has a dismal selection of adblockers. And Safari 12 in general is definitely slower than 11 was, in a very noticeable way. I wish I hadn't updated.

15. DeadeyeM macrumors regular

I don't understand why you guys having issue. I have updated to 12 then yes i did get message saying extension is disabled but then i just went and enabled it. I get why apple is doing this. Dev's just need to stop slacking and update the apps

16. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Uninstalled uBlock Origin after updating to Safari 12; but it appears Apple doesn't prevent you from (re-)installing it - they just warn you it will "slow down Safari". Ignore that and you're golden, it would seem.

I'll be curious to see if the are more forceful about this as time progresses.

17. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

I wonder if it's finally fully compatible with Facebook since it hasn't been for almost 1 YEAR!

Facebook doesn't seem to care. Apple apparently not much either.

18. irrbloss macrumors newbie

irrbloss

I don't want those ugly favicons in my pinned tabs. Anyone know how to get back those monochrome autogenerated(?) favicons used in the previous version? Even if I disable favicons in tabs, they're still visible in my pinned tabs.

19. nitramwin, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018

nitramwin macrumors member

Is uBlock Origin planning an app-store release?

20. irrbloss macrumors newbie

irrbloss

Start the Activity Monitor-app and kill the process named Spotlight. Then you'll be able to install it.

21. nadirturkman, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018

nadirturkman macrumors newbie

Same here. I hope they haven't removed the old option of having the simpler icons. These ones are a real eyesore.

22. nitramwin macrumors member

It makes sense but I didn't realize that the Safari Extension 'uBlock Origin' was able to see my usernames and passwords...

Attached Files:

23. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

I have messaged the Side Tree Software, and asked them if they can update their extensions for Safari 12.

I think they are still active, although the site looks like it's from 2008, rather than 2018.

24. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Since no one else answered, I can now answer my own question.

Still not fully Facebook feature compatible with other browsers. HELLO APPLE!

I mean 2 other browsers can do stuff Safari cannot do. When are they going to get it?

25. tomizza macrumors newbie

fantastic, this gave me back Save Tabs to Pinboard and DirectLinks (by Canisbos Computing, which makes those obfuscated indirect links on Google and Facebook direct again)