Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ridge Racer

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2007
Cheaper in UK

Amazingly, this new iPod shuffle is actually CHEAPER in the UK, than the US for once.

£59 in UK (less 15% VAT/Sales Tax) = £51.31

£51.31 in US Dollars = $70.87

The US price is $79 excluding Sales Tax

That's over $8 cheaper even before adding Sales Tax

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Way to not even bother reading the entire article before starting to whine about how Apple screwed you.

I wasn't whining about how Apple screwed me and I know that you can still get the older models, but what happens when those are sold out? What happens when they are discontinued? I am not the only one - as others have posted - that has a child who has given up allowances and earned extra money just for this purchase.

No sarcasm intended, but perhaps I did miss something, but where does it say that third party earbuds will work?

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
That must be the first time in ages we've had a proper Apple super secret announcement. No leaks until the store went down and Mr X posting on here. Hope we get a few more like this in future.

tivoli2

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
My own little world...
Way to be dismissive.

What about those of us with young children have been saving their allowance for months to get an iPod but the Apple earbuds are too large and uncomfortable for their 8 year olds? Now they have to get an adapter in order to use earbuds that fit or save for a few more months to get a nano that they do not need the capacity of.

I know it is not an essential purchase, but an 8 year old daughter saving $50 for this purchase was an accomplishment. Now she has to wait even longer, turning this into a possible negative lesson for her.

The last version is still available (but who knows for how long) so get it quick. I'm getting another to keep for when my current one gives up the ghost as I too use different earbuds for the exercise thing. I'm 100% not interested in this revision.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_shuffle_2gen?mco=MTYzNDU2Mg

poxonyou

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
seems to be some confusion as to why apple took all control from the device and put it on headphones...
and i think its clear apple is marketing this to people who: exercise, are busy on the go and cant play around with the actual device (leave it in their pocket or purse). this is not geared for someone at home reading a book with the actual device in their hand..

God. I love Apple apologists.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Uninspiring personally speaking, but it's good to see it's business as normal at Apple despite the downturn.

oTaRu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2008
I am surprise that they do not have the backward "button" when they have forward "button"

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Apple's so cute with their proprietary accessories. Just when you think they can't make any other part proprietary they go and squeeze out the 3rd party headphone market.

LOL, this.

Nobody I know uses the original Apple headphones. Across the board, the opinion is that they sound like crap, hurt, and fall out.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I thought this was a joke until i saw the apple page. Even now, i'm not too sure.

This isn't a music player, it's a fashion accessory. The 2nd Gen shuffle was at least useable.

Crockster763

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
seems to be some confusion as to why apple took all control from the device and put it on headphones...

i know the shuffle isnt just used for working out, BUT,

running, biking, anything involving moving....it is nearly impossible to easily change songs, change volumes etc. on the device. Yes, its possible, but its not easy. Having the functions on the cord will make it alot easier to just raise your hand and feel for the right place to change song...etc..

and i think its clear apple is marketing this to people who: exercise, are busy on the go and cant play around with the actual device (leave it in their pocket or purse). this is not geared for someone at home reading a book with the actual device in their hand..

I think you are right... but from my experience.. the people doing 'hardcore' exercise tend to have custom headphones (ones that loop around the ears etc. as not to fall out)...

I love my 1GB iPod Shuffle, because to be honest... you would have to do some serious exercise to get through all the songs...

As such, it seems like Apple is marketing to two groups, 1. people who want more control over what they are listening too and 2. hardcore exercisers...
The problem is that neither group are satiated by this product. Just an opinion.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'll bet there is a new version of iTunes about to launch and it uses the built-in speech synthesis on the host PC to generate audio tags that get synced across to the Shuffle. I don't think the Shuffle itself is doing text to speech.

iTunes already has this feature since the iPod nano has "talking menus", which is essentially the same as this new VoiceOver feature. They've just given the feature a name now that the shuffle supports it standard as part of its navigation.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Taking the buttons off isn't a bad design choice. I like it. You can shove the shuffle in your backback, pocket, etc. and control from a more convenient place.

The bonehead move was not making the controller a separate dongle. In fact, I think it would have been a better move for Apple to just include a dongle and no headphones, kinda like the Mac mini w/ no kb or mouse. Everyone has a set of headphone lying around by now.

RDF jamming......

I had a superb Panasonic personal stereo years and years ago. Had a one-button remote control which you could use any headphones with AND controls on the body that you could lock. Apple are so un-innovate here and still can't get the functionality right that the Japs have been doing for decades, it's embarrassing.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
you are probably not in the market for a shuffle in that case.

Interesting that this is now the third interface for ipods - no more clickwheel!

Ummm...no. A friend of mine wanted to get a shuffle for running. He just replaced the earbuds on his Nano since they keep falling out when he runs. Guess He'll just stick with his gen 1 nano now. Sure, the older model is available but on in 1GB version and he wanted the two.

manowarwi

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Boo!

I usually keep my mouth shut when people complain about new Apple products, but this one clearly is a poor design. Being locked into using certain headphones is a deal-breaker for many people. I have a cheap 3rd party 4gb mp3 player ($15 refurb, now 2 years old) and I have one set of headphones for the gym, a different set for running, and I have speakers inside my motorcycle helmet. Needing special headphones basically makes this a non-option for me when my current player dies. What would have been cool is if they still had the buttons on the thin side of the player (and a lock button so you don't accidentally bump buttons) and still offer the special headphones as an additional way to control it, not the only way.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
God. I love Apple apologists.

no just being honest.....i run a lot (like actual running not walking fast)...so i physically can not find the buttons on the shuffle when it is up on my shirt neck-line..it will throw my whole stride off. I know i'm not alone.

and i dont have a problem with the stock headphones i have now... so not everyone hates them..and arn't these new headphones with the shuffle..the new improved headphone apple was selling?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
IWhy does a BMW cost 5x more then a Ford when it gets you from point A to point B just as well. RIP-OFF!!?!!!11!!

Clearly you've never driven a BMW. A Ford might get you to Point B, but a BMW will get you to Point B with a huge grin and give you the desire to just keeping going to point Infinity.

By your logic why by a Mac or fine bottle of wine or go to a nice restaurant when an eMachine, rot gut, and McDonalds have, respectively similar functionality? Just because McDonalds sells .99 hamburgers doesn't mean a good $40 filet is overpriced.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
I don't know for the rest of you, but the design is gorgeous. If I would be in the market for a shuffle I would be all over it. You can't go more minimalist then that. Too bad about the headphone required for controlling the rest of the shuffle. Still, it look like it still can be used to be charged over the last generation shuffle dock.

It does mean something from Apple out of the iPod. Rumors and upcoming timelines CAN'T be trusted anymore for updates on their product. We've never seen the update for the desktops coming, only a day before. Almost no rumour of this coming, we've have heard it for the event in January, but we didn't see it.

Look like Apple is now on track with their update. I'm going to bet the current Macs will receive updates more often, as soon new processors are out, instead of a few months after the other PC company.

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone watching the guided tour?... the voiceover sounded very computerized. They should have gotten Tom from the Kindle to do the voice over. The "Ting Tings"....:rolleyes:

Oh, any why is it that if you sync with the Mac you get a male voiceover and with PC you get a female voiceover... I don't get this...

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Amazingly, this new iPod shuffle is actually CHEAPER in the UK, than the US for once.

£59 in UK (less 15% VAT/Sales Tax) = £51.31

£51.31 in US Dollars = $70.87

The US price is $79 excluding Sales Tax

That's over $8 cheaper even before adding Sales Tax

Maths fail - you removed the VAT before doing the conversion so although it's $8 less before adding Sales Tax, it's also $8 less before adding VAT.

We're still getting a good deal though. At current rates it's only $2 more in the UK, even if the state has 0% Sales Tax, which I believe is very few of them.

mortlar

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
Wake up complainers

Wake up and smell the coffee you complainers. It's an ipod SHUFFLE - it's not the top of the line beast meant for connecting and controlling and customizing etc.

If you don't like the shuffle and want other earbuds/headphones, do one or more of the following:

1: Buy the old one. It's still just as good as it was yesterday.
2: Buy a nano (it's actually really small, and even has a screen)
3: Buy something from another manufacturer og an other ipod
4: Just shut up and accept the realities.

Apple has ADDED another item to their list of ipods. If you don't want it, it doesn't affect you AT ALL. I know they will be discontinuing the old shuffle in the future, but now you know, and you can buy one during the next weeks/months if you prefer that one. It's not like the mac pro where the old one was ripped away without warning.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I like the new design, I hate the controls on the head phones because I hate the earbuds. Its just a matter of time before apple, or someone makes a small adapter that gives you all the controls and allows you to plug in any head phones into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.