Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nah, that buzzword is appropriate.

Basically there is one fact: Apple has downgraded its guidance. Everything else written are opinions, conjectures, conclusions based on opinions.

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
Popped into my local Apple Store on lunch today, luckily one of their staff let me try on case on my phone. Boy that case makes the Max big and heavy, not great for those who wear skinny jeans that's for sure.

Still going to order one though :D

Reactions: I7guy and Zaned303

yb1996

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2019
That's only $10 more than the Mophie ones that are coming out, and these have wireless charging. Why is $129 so absurd?

Allow me to tell you why it's absurd. Take this case for example: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Rec...ocphy=9003944&hvtargid=pla-570559387895&psc=1

You get 150% more battery than the Apple battery case for a fifth of the price. Who needs wireless charging on a battery case? The whole reason of having a battery case is to have juice in your phone for the whole day. Wireless charging is luxury for people who don't want to put thick cases on their phones, so they would rather place their phone on a wirless charging pad, when not using the phone. With a battery case, the case itself is charging your phone...no need to wireless charge all the time.

But if you REALLY, REALLY want wireless charging in your battery case, then you buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/Max-Compatible-Alpatronix-BXXt-Rechargeable/dp/B07H84Y3Q6.
It's still a 1/3 of the price of the Apple battery case.....

Hence, Apple's pricing is absolutely absurd.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Allow me to tell you why it's absurd. Take this case for example: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Rec...ocphy=9003944&hvtargid=pla-570559387895&psc=1

You get 150% more battery than the Apple battery case for a fifth of the price. Who needs wireless charging on a battery case? The whole reason of having a battery case is to have juice in your phone for the whole day. Wireless charging is luxury for people who don't want to put thick cases on their phones, so they would rather place their phone on a wirless charging pad, when not using the phone. With a battery case, the case itself is charging your phone...no need to wireless charge all the time.

But if you REALLY, REALLY want wireless charging in your battery case, then you buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/Max-Compatible-Alpatronix-BXXt-Rechargeable/dp/B07H84Y3Q6.

Sorry I really disagree here. Yes I think the price is a tad high ($100 would be nice) but that link you sent is a completely crap case. The whole reason for buying Apple's is more for the interface to the phone... no need to worry about flipping a switch (hence keeping the phone battery more pristine), having the charge status right on the phone, wireless is a plus, that case doesn't support external peripherals (no CarPlay, etc). I don't think it's for everyone, but those of us who want an install and forget this is awesome. No need to ever take it off, unlike the others where you need to to use the port for basically anything except charging.

Reactions: Zaned303 and iGeneo

Zaned303

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Centennial CO
BTW I never figured why Google Glass did flop.
What should Apple do to improve on that - and what to make it mainstream...?

Did you get to use a pair? We had them at work to try and create a voip app and they made you dizzy after a few minutes with the interface having to try and read the mini screen. I wanted it to thrive but I can see why it didn’t it was to before it’s time unfortunately

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010

I believe you fail to see the benefit of the "Extended (Smart)" battery VS a battery bolted on to the back of the phone. Turn that battery on and you trigger backups, photo uploads and so on....

There is much more to the Apple product than a simple battery

Reactions: Zaned303

Zaned303

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Centennial CO
I believe you fail to see the benefit of the "Extended (Smart)" battery VS a battery bolted on to the back of the phone. Turn that battery on and you trigger backups, photo uploads and so on....

There is much more to the Apple product than a simple battery

Some people like spending a thousand on a phone and using cheapo cases and cables then they are shocked when something bad happens and apple blocks repairs once they find out about cheapo options being used. I get the Apple Case is expensive and not for everyone as is the Mophie case but I certainly wouldn’t take time out of my day to preach The cheapo gospel on a forum filled with people buying the nice case lol I can’t wait to get my Humpty 2.0 for my Max tomorrow

Reactions: iGeneo

steeba

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
NorCal
just got my Xs case now. came a day earlier than the tracking said.
it feels really nice. I like that there is no chin on the bottom like how the 6s/7 case had.

...ditto ! (ordered 01/15/19, arrived 01/16/19) anywho, typical 1st class :apple: shipping/boxing unwrapped, read installation instructions :confused::rolleyes: and naturally, fits like a glove...we're done here ! ;)

(btw, full size pics...first 3 shot w/XS MAX, last 2 w/Nexus 6P !)

acxyrn.jpg

9h2w0o.jpg

py45z.jpg

2qd505d.jpg

fbm05h.jpg

EDIT: oops, gotta have the bottom speaker grille(s)/lightning port shot, rite ?!! ;)

6q8m4i.jpg

Last edited:

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas

I have the Alpatronix for my Max. It's a piece of crap.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My iPhone X works great with the battery case for the XS. I even recorded my voice and played it back and got no distortion. Camera hole is slightly larger but black on black doesn’t show at all so overall it looks like a keeper.
Awesome, thanks. Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Reactions: ghost187

punterab80

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2018
Not the same design. Smaller hump -- remember when everybody complained?-- and LOWER milliamps. But higher voltage, so just the same expansion of usability, up to two days, realistically, with an Xs Max. Oh, and it can be used with Qi chargers.
And no boxy chin like the last models!!
[doublepost=1547785798][/doublepost]
If I buy anything in Canada for CA $180, it only costs me $132.33 USD currently. Therefore, aside from the weaker Canadian dollar, you're only paying approx. $3.33 USD more than we do in the US -- and that's presumably due either to taxes, or fluctuating exchange rate. That's not bad.
I kinda get what you’re saying , but spending $180 for you feels the same way as me parting with $180 dollars. We just have to accept paying a sticker price that’s 30 some percent more than what you pay. My iPhone XS Max (64gb) just cost me over $1500 ! So I am very envious when I see the US price. But that’s just the reality of exchange rates.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Clever design with replaceable batteries at multiple capacities might offer the user a choice of thickness.
The battery case they just announced is pretty much the closest you come to replaceable batteries in that regard.
You're right - - the Smart Battery Case is Apple's replaceable battery.

The majority of Apple's customers who don't need a replaceable/extended life battery will continue to cheer on Jony Ive's march towards a slim sealed unit that resembles nothing more than a single sheet of glass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abazigal

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
Been using my battery case for about 20 hours now. overall it is great and the no chin design is much better than the iphone 7 version.

I do notice that battery % jumps around a bit. about +/- 3% during charging or during use. I'm thinking maybe the battery needs to get a few charge cycles in. all of these were delivered empty so who knows how long they were kept at 0% in storage.

Reactions: steeba and Zaned303

Zaned303

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Centennial CO
For some reason I keep listening to Humpty Dance whenever I stare at my new case “Stop what you’re doing cause I’m about to ruin the lyrics and sound that your used to”
Welcome Humpty 2.0 Case

Reactions: steeba

steeba

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
NorCal
...on day 2 w/mine...noticed NO + / - erratic charging variations...seats well on my Surge Disk 10W wireless and tho, even arriving near empty, full charge capacity was reached in about an hour...have removed it from MAX for now and will chk on how long its storage% duration will last after a day or two...so far, A-OK ! :apple: (pic via NEXUS 6P)

2edmhz4.jpg

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Awesome, thanks. Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
Some follow-up. Received my case today.

I can confirm it works perfectly on my original iPhone X on iOS 12.1.2.

I did have to reboot the phone when I first put it on the phone for it to be recognized. Works normally after that. No error messages.

Case came with only 1% charge, FYI.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
...on day 2 w/mine...noticed NO + / - erratic charging variations...seats well on my Surge Disk 10W wireless and tho, even arriving near empty, full charge capacity was reached in about an hour...have removed it from MAX for now and will chk on how long its storage% duration will last after a day or two...so far, A-OK ! :apple: (pic via NEXUS 6P)

2edmhz4.jpg

Pretty clever to design the hump such that it can’t be seen from certain angles.

Reactions: steeba

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
So is it basically the silicone case with a battery pack on it?
Yes ...but only if you choose to ignore its smart features such as its seamless iPhone software integration, automatic prioritization of the use of the battery case's battery over your iPhone's battery, fast wireless charging without removing the case, it doesn't require a second charging adapter and cord, and your iPhone will continue to manage the power as if it is running on its own battery - whereas on an external battery pack your iPhone behaves in its more power hungry state as if it is plugged in to a wall outlet.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Mine showed up yesterday. Sure enough the battery was at 0%. I think they do this because devices that have Li-Io batteries are supposed to be turned off when shipping. Since the battery case can’t be turned off they ship it without any charge. I do like the case and intend to use it more during the summer when my work schedule typically gets busier and time between usage and charging my phone gets stretched out.

Lazarus2099

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2015
Why does every comment stupidly concern the least interesting questions about this product? There’s a lot more to it than its price and its appearance, and I haven’t seen a single good question on this forum yet.

How about the power management? Is it like the previous “smart” battery cases that relentlessly forced power into a fully charged phone? Or does it actually turn itself on and off appropriately in an efficient manner?

Zaned303

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Centennial CO
Why does every comment stupidly concern the least interesting questions about this product? There’s a lot more to it than its price and its appearance, and I haven’t seen a single good question on this forum yet.

How about the power management? Is it like the previous “smart” battery cases that relentlessly forced power into a fully charged phone? Or does it actually turn itself on and off appropriately in an efficient manner?

It appears it’s charging the iPhone constantly however I’m basing that off the iPhones battery icon having the symbol for charging. I’ve been looking into apps for battery and power management to try and see the Cases behavior. Any suggestions are always welcome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.