Apple Tells Suppliers to Cut iPhone XR and XS Production by 10% for Next Three Months

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Or apple could collapse under new leadership.

2. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

Out-of-date varies for each individuals. I still have the 5 which is put aside as a backup. I currently use a 6 and for what I use it for, I won't see any difference starting with the X and new models. The only complaint I have is with the carrier where the coverage varies with locations. If I wished for improvements, it would be for better coverage all across the U.S. Even though carriers are planning to roll out 5G this year, I would not upgrade even if the XR or XS were to have 5G modems in them. I am going to continue to use my 6 until it no longer works.

3. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I say guidance of $84B is a resounding success. My wife’s side of the family used to be android and is now all iPhone. I just bought the max. Churn is a part of the game. Just ask car manufacturers.

4. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Now you’re speculating. We don’t have units anymore, so you don’t know about the most recent quarter.

HOWEVER, if China made up over 100% of the revenue shortfall (which was stated) and developed markets like the US, Canada and Germany set records, you can infer the unit sales in developed markets are similar to last quarter.

Furthermore, Apple sold more units each of the last 2 years AND raised ASPs more than $100 per phone.

2016: 211M iPhones
    2017: 216M iPhones
    2018: 217M iPhones

Source: 10K

Show me the data that units are “much lower.” I’ll wait. I just proved you are wrong about iPhone. The price increases in 2018 still produced the MOST units sold in the last 3 years.

As for the most recent quarter, we don’t have the unit sales. We do have statements, which I explained very clearly.

5. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

I’m not going to argue with a fanboy but they wouldn’t have stopped reporting unit sales of sales were strong. People are keeping their phones for longer and that’s a universal problem for Apple, not just in China.

6. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Haha, now you are backing off because I just showed you the last 3 year data and you realize how wrong you were.

You simply don’t understand the company or Wallstreet if you can’t understand the great reasons to stop reporting units. Again, you’re speculating units based on other decisions. You don’t know.

Flatly, you were wrong and I showed you why with facts. Come back with facts, or just accept them.

7. Bacillus, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

As I explained extensively, but apparently is impossile for you to read, under the current circumstances (that Cook is fully responsible for) there is little to nothing advise left on to what to do next.
    - More expensive Phones - won’t work, will not sell
    - More iPhones - requiring a lower prices - contradictory to profitability
    - New products - nothing compelling enough in the pipeline (AppleWatch/HomePod are not enough)
    - Services - not growing enough. Success rate of Music/media is miserable, percentwise

Impossible to turn around. Because he persued the wrong direction during his whole tenure (mass provisioning with premium prices) and is now sitting in a catch22/end of 1-way street.
    Therefore, I asked you as a Cook fan. But you don’t come any further than “they should change” which is contradictory to your lifetime Cook apprehension/appreciation.
    What my resumé would do to help, either you or him I don’t know. please explain

8. Heat_Fan89 macrumors 6502

That's exactly what could happen because you don't know what the new CEO's approach is regarding the company's business model. I have never understood people calling for the head of a CEO that's not losing or bleeding money and i've been in the tech business since the early 80's and watched several high profile computer manufactures implode and one of them I happened to work for.

Sure there are some concerns regarding some of the latest news regarding sales after all the smartphone sector is a matured business so perpetual/exponential growth shouldn't be expected every quarter. Just as some of the numbers are somewhat disappointing according to Apple's past, they could just as easily turn that around with a new phone such as their expected 5G phones. Now if Apple's business goes in reverse and stays that way then you would have to look at the person running things and consider a change of leadership. It's far too early to even consider that.

9. Bacillus, Jan 10, 2019

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

5G iphones by Apple will be 1 year lagging - as of its “intelligent” dispute strategy with Quarrelcom
    Now that Cook (and Schiller, Ive, ...) have ballmerized the company, spoiling its supremacy, laggin in innovation and addicting it to money, and we’re being offered the epic example of Microsoft that got saved by firing Ballmer just in time.
    So I tend to disagree. Just about time for a change.

10. celo48 macrumors 6502a

Just because you are Apple and you have a loyal customer like me who purchased anything but Apple from PCs to laptops, iPads to iPhones since 2006, does not mean you will not HIT A WALL if you try to charge $1500 for an iPhone!

11. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Apple should hold off and let android flush out the issues with 5g and let intel ensure their chips are worthy. So yeah, let them lag.

12. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Gee. Lament the hell out of the droids

13. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

No point in deploying a 5G phone in 2019 when the 5G infrastructure won't even be near ready for even 25% of Americans until 2020...

14. Bacillus, Jan 10, 2019

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

For those who want to restrict innovation to a 3rd camera: Apple is on track !
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Or, now that frogs go genius, take the 3rd ATT route: change 4G in the menubar to 5G. Done!

15. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I forwarded this to Apple, complete with the ad-hom. Hopefully they will read your analysis, see the light and change their direction. additionally I requested they get back to you via MR.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    For those who believe innovation is more memory; Samsung’s got your back. /s

16. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Thx. If there’s anyone that will offer those without ears the Gift to Listen, it must be you.

17. Pamela5 macrumors member

Pamela5

I switched from android to iPhone three years ago due to problems with the companies and what they stood for and it looks like Apple has gone down the same route since Steve Jobs died. There’s a good chance I’ll be switching back as soon as I’m eligible, if both sides are evil I might as go with the side that allows me to do more with my phone and not make me wait years for the latest technology after its already out as opposed to just getting quicker updates and supposedly having better security but nothing much else. Not a fanboy post just how I see it.

18. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Yes. It’s obvious the company doesn’t know what it’s doing and won't take valid criticism from the armchair ceos and armchar analysts here at MR, who can see the problem so clearly.

You, however, are the voice of reason, calm and influence, and if there is anybody that wears their heart on their sleeve it's you. After Apple receives your strategy I have a feeling Tim Cook will be stepping down based on your forwarded strategy.

19. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Indeed. I’ve done my best to advise him from day 1, and we have to come to the conclusion he hasn’t been able to come to a sensible attitude despite that.
    So we both have to decide we’d better part. And since it is impossible to get me off here, it is him who, sadly, has to make space. Anyway, I respect him despite his tenure: He has been worth Jobs salary. Almost, that is...

20. Virinprew macrumors 6502

It’s not impossible. Yes. But my point is this one is actually happening.

21. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

As opposed to some of the other adjustments that actually happened also but we didn't know about them?:confused:

22. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Apple has enough cash reserves to be more aggressive and bold. Like I said before, Tim Cook is good for the financial performances Apple is known for. No shame in bringing in fabulous financial results. But in terms of being bold and innovative, Apple isn't doing it up and down its product lines.

Apple could have touchscreen laptops, an x86 caliber Mac OS X tablet to compete against Microsoft's Surfaces and other portable Windows products, a stylus for iPhones, and a better version of Siri.

Instead, we have a gimmicky Touch Bar, an A12 processor that is being underutilized, no real answer for full x86 productivity in a nice form factor (no kickstand or lightweight product w/ Mac OS X), no stylus, and a lobotomized AI Assistant known as Siri. Siri had such a huge advantage early on and Apple squandered it all away behind hubris, not being proactive, and keeping it restricted behind the walled garden.

23. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I got that is your view. Apple is a smart company, and in my view TC knows exactly what he is doing. Why he has not addressed your "concerns" I can't answer. But that doesn't mean innovation doesn't exist in apple.

24. Soccertess macrumors 65816

Very well put! Lots of Apple diehards, yes many of you reading this post, keep saying where is the data to support that Tim is doing a bad job. You just need to look at the product line to know where Apple is going, and I haven't liked it either for a long time.

I haven't been happy with Apple products in a long time, except Air pods which are pretty awesome. MAcbook sucks, touch bars suck, home pod (barf), apple tv (who is it still even a thing), Mac Pro (a lot of dust collecting on those), iphones (too expense for what they are), and Apple Watch (Gen 4 is kind of impressive)

25. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Apple innovated with its processors and FaceID’s generations ahead capabilities, I’ll give you that. However, that doesn’t still make up for the iPhone’s substandard sales performance.

I enjoy Apple products more than other OEMs, but I can understand the disenchantments with the current lineup.