MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 14, the newest version of the tvOS operating system designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS 14 comes after several months of beta testing.

tvOS-14-Feature.jpg

The tvOS 14 update can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the ‌Apple TV‌ by going to System -> Software Update. ‌Apple TV‌ owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to ‌tvOS 14 automatically.

tvOS 14 brings systemwide Picture in Picture, a feature designed to let you watch movies or TV shows in a small window in the corner of the TV screen while you do something else on the Apple TV.

tvos14pip.jpg

A new Home section in the Control Center on the Apple TV allows HomeKit-connected devices to be controlled from the television set, plus there's an option to view HomeKit camera feeds on the larger screen of the TV or in Picture in Picture mode so you can keep an eye on your house while you watch TV.

tvos14.jpg

Apple Arcade on Apple TV supports multiple users, letting each tvOS user keep track of their individual game levels, leaderboards, and invitations. Additional gaming controllers are supported, including the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 and Xbox Adaptive Controllers. Apple TV games are also now able to take advantage of haptic feedback and other features built into controllers.

applearcadeprofileswapping.jpg

There's an option to manually choose a screensaver category in ‌tvOS 14‌, and for those who watch YouTube, ‌tvOS 14‌ supports watching YouTube videos in 4K for the first time. The Apple TV now supports Audio Sharing with the AirPods so two people can connect their AirPods to the Apple TV at the same time.

Later this year, the Apple TV will gain a new Fitness app that will be compatible with Apple's new Fitness+ service, priced at $9.99 per month. Fitness+ offers access to workout videos with Apple-picked trainers across a variety of categories like yoga, dance, cycling, core, HIIT, and more.

applefitness.jpg

For more on all of the new features in tvOS 14, make sure to check out our roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 14 With Picture in Picture, 4K YouTube Videos, HomeKit Secure Video Integration and More

FrankCostello

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2016
Installing now ...it’s taking an awfully long time to install the update (not download). I wonder if that’s because it has to delete screensavers to make space as it extracts the update ...

Uhh... it’s just flashing now ... did this brick my ATV4K!?

**Edit: Nevermind.. after like 8 minutes of the flashing light, the Apple TV finally turned on to 14.0. Weirdest install EVER.

Last edited:
Comment

dilute37

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2007
Grass Valley, CA
I may be behind the curve, but will the Apple TV 4K support Spatial Audio? I have everything updated and it's a cool parlor trick on the iPhone. But curious how it will work on the Apple TV.

Assuming that the position of the device will prove to be an issue. But, no idea...

Comment

Realityck

macrumors 68020
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Installing now ...it’s taking an awfully long time to install the update (not download). I wonder if that’s because it has to delete screensavers to make space as it extracts the update ...

Uhh... it’s just flashing now ... did this brick my ATV4K!?

**Edit: Nevermind.. after like 8 minutes of the flashing light, the Apple TV finally turned on to 14.0. Weirdest install EVER.
All the apple installer are similar to iOS and iPodOS where it downloads and then does a lot of pre-installing processing before the final pass.

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

johnscully

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
Is spatial audio (of the AirPods Pro) supported? With the betas some said it is, some said it isn't.

Comment

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
I may be behind the curve, but will the Apple TV 4K support Spatial Audio? I have everything updated and it's a cool parlor trick on the iPhone. But curious how it will work on the Apple TV.

Assuming that the position of the device will prove to be an issue. But, no idea...

Having played with Spatial Audio on my iPhone 11 Pro this evening, I will buy new ATV hardware to get it if needs be.

we have a 5.1.2 Atmos capable AVR & speakers in the lounge, all of which sounds great. I tend to be up before anyone else in the household at weekends and watch my stuff (films, For All Mankind, 1966-2005 Trek on Netflix) usually with AirPods in.

Having tried out Blade Runner Final Cut & La La Land (iTunes purchase), Star Wars A New Hope (Disney+) and Central Park (ATV+) with Spatial Audio this evening, the effect is incredible. The sense of a soundfield before me is brilliant, with precise, localisable imaging and sound placement. The head titling and the soundfield staying fixed relative to the screen works convincingly and flawlessly. I’d LOVE to have this on the screen downstairs with Apple TV hardware, would do for me with personal listening what the Atmos AVR system does for the family when we all watch together.

Reactions: sos47
Comment

Realityck

macrumors 68020
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Is spatial audio (of the AirPods Pro) supported? With the betas some said it is, some said it isn't.
I see only this
Spatial audio for AirPods Pro
Requires AirPods Pro. Requires iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max or iPhone SE (2nd generation). Requires 12,9" iPad Pro (3rd generation) or later, 11" iPad Pro, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad (6th generation) or later, or iPad mini (5th generation).

Apps
Apple TV app (with Apple TV+), iTunes, and Disney+. It does not appear to work with Netflix at this time. Apple says that spatial audio is compatible with 5.1, 7.1, and Dolby Atmos soundtracks.

tvOS would be something for the future. This was shown at WWDC 2020

airpodsspatialaudio_2_small.jpg

Reactions: Ebrahim Osman
Comment

Realityck

macrumors 68020
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Yeah I was thinking the same thing the iOS 14 YouTube app does 4k now but not the appletv app yet
Just a FYI but 4K enabled iOS/iPadOS YouTube app was updated 21 hours ago, version 15.37.4. That has been working for last 4 betas.

However the tvOS Youtube app, is the old 2.04.06 from April 29, 2020 as checked yesterday, doesn't do 4K. So sad, waiting on Google. ;)

Comment

macwant

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Nice update, I’m excited about the Homekit video support and scene shortcuts. Plus PiP may occasionally be helpful.

Apple also released a 7.6 update for the 3rd generation Apple TV. I can’t find any info on it. The last update listed on Apple.com is 7.5. I posted asking for any info on it here:

Comment

Truckondo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Looks like they finally fixed the Dolby Vision bug with my LG TV. The images would get inverted and look like a film negative at certain points in movies. Now I wait for YouTube to update the app.

Comment

Aidan04

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
after updating it, my Apple TV 4k suddenly doesn’t show 4k 🤨
For example, a 4k movie that was on vlc remote, on the tv itself (not streaming), just stuck and stuttering.. idk how it could happen😞

Comment

RGPphotog

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Orlando FL
My YouTube iOS app is not showing 4k.
Yes I'm on 14.
iPhone 11 Pro Max
Yes apps all updated.

What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_9671.png
    IMG_9671.png
    1 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Reactions: Estrobink
Comment

MauiPa

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2018
after updating it, my Apple TV 4k suddenly doesn’t show 4k 🤨
For example, a 4k movie that was on vlc remote, on the tv itself (not streaming), just stuck and stuttering.. idk how it could happen😞
If it’s on the tv itself, how is appletv involved?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.