Apple Releases Tweaked Version of Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock With Minor Internal Changes

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new version of its Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock, which carries a model number of MU9F2AM/A and was added to the online Apple Store today.

The previous version of the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock, which had a model number of MLDW2AM/A, has been removed from the online store.

There are no design tweaks to the dock, which suggests that the new model includes unspecified internal updates. It is not known why Apple has introduced a revamped version, but the changes are likely to be minor.

The new Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock has also received FCC approval according to a filing that was shared today. The FCC filing provides no additional information on the dock or what might have been tweaked.

Apple's updated Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock can be purchased from the Apple website for $79. The device is available for delivery starting on Friday, November 16, and should be in retail stores soon.

Article Link: Apple Releases Tweaked Version of Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock With Minor Internal Changes

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

rmoliv

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2017
They didn't disclose the reason and you won't care to ask them?
I bought mine just a week ago, they should've let customers know in advance. Ridiculous.

Reactions: fullauto

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Can't wait to hear the conspiracy theories about this change.
No conspiracy theories. The old version wasn’t fully compatible with the Series 4. The charging tone would chime every few minutes or so when charging my Series 4 with the Stianless Steel band. Not sure if it was positioning or something more, but glad they released a new version. Hopefully this won’t have these issues.

I’m kind of surprised this wasn’t mentioned in the article. There’s several posts about this in the Apple Watch forum. MacRumors tends to ignore everything but the biggest of AW news, though.

mjt2810

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
London, UK
Perhaps a tweak of clearance when the puck is vertical to cater for the slight change on the 44mm S4?
That would make a lot of sense. I’ve noticed with mine and my S4 that when sitting in the upright position, I’m getting the charging connected ‘ding’ frequently indicating a minor disconnect between the watch and the charger.

blcamp

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I bought my dock about 2 months ago for only 45 (including shipping) off eBay - a legit, original factory-sealed (never opened) package. Definitely not worth 79, but seems a decent device, although I wish there would have been a black option. Heavy as a brick, too, which I understand why but don't really care for. I actually only use it for travel because I have a more suitable (for me) dock that I bought off Amazon that has a smaller footprint on my nightstand, although that does require a charging puck whereas this only needs a Lightning cable. If I were to guess on the difference, it would be perhaps a slightly longer "arm" for the puck, to accommodate the Series 4. My Series 3 is a snug fit when the puck is upright.

Reactions: dabotsonline