Apple Releases Updated Version of iOS 10.1.1

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2016.

1. jerm13 macrumors member

ever since I installed 10.1.1 (14B100) on my 6s, my battery life has been horrendous. I hope this will fix that.

2. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

The original OTA 10.1.1 destroyed my 6S battery life (like 45 mins from 100% to 0%) so I had to downgrade. This was even with low power mode enabled.

3. honam1021 macrumors regular

Interestingly internal builds have a 6 digit build number
    [​IMG]

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The following is what popped up when I started the update via iTunes...

iOS 10.1.1

This update includes Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus (beta), transit directions for Japan, stability improvements and bug fixes.

iOS 10.1.1 introduces new features and improvements including:

Camera and Photos

• • Introduces Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus that creates a depth effect that keeps your subject sharp while creating a beautifully blurred background (beta)
    • • People names in the Photos app are saved in iCloud backups
    • • Improved the display of wide color gamut photos in the grid views of the Photos app
    • • Fixes an issue where opening the Camera app would show a blurred or flashing screen for some users
    • • Fixes an issue that caused Photos to quit for some users when turning on iCloud Photo Library
    • Maps

• • Transit support for every major train, subway, ferry, and national bus line, as well as local bus systems for Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya
    • • Sign-based transit navigation including layouts of all underground structures and walkways that connect large transit stations
    • • Transit fare comparison when viewing alternative transit routes
    • • New option to replay bubble and full screen effects
    • • Messages effects can play with Reduce Motion enabled
    • • Fixes an issue that could lead to contact names appearing incorrectly in Messages
    • • Addresses an issue where Messages could open to a white screen
    • • Addresses an issue that could prevent the report junk option from displaying with unknown senders
    • • Fixes an issue where videos captured and sent in the Messages app could be missing audio
    • Apple Watch

• • Adds distance and average pace to workout summaries in the Activity app for outdoor wheelchair run pace and outdoor wheelchair walk pace
    • • Fixes issues that may have prevented Music playlists from syncing to Apple Watch
    • • Addresses an issue that was preventing invitations and data to appear in Activity Sharing
    • • Fixes an issue that was allowing Activity Sharing to update over cellular when manually disabled
    • • Resolves an issue that was causing some third-party apps to crash when inputting text
    • Other improvements and fixes

• • Improves Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party accessories
    • • Improves AirPlay Mirroring performance when waking a device from sleep
    • • Fixes an issue where playback would not work for iTunes purchased content when the "Show iTunes Purchases" setting is turned off
    • • Fixes an issue where certain selfie apps and face filters used with the FaceTime HD Camera on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus did not display a live preview
    • • Fixes an issue in Health where individual strokes are converted to separate characters when using the Chinese handwriting keyboard
    • • Improves performance of sharing websites from Safari to Messages
    • • Fixes an issue in Safari that caused web previews in tab view to not display correctly
    • • Fixes an issue that caused certain Mail messages to be reformatted with very small text
    • • Fixes an issue that caused some HTML email to be formatted incorrectly
    • • Fixes an issue that in some cases caused the search field to disappear in Mail
    • • Fixes an issue that could prevent Today View Widgets from updating when launched
    • • Fixes an issue where Weather widget sometimes failed to load data
    • • Fixes an issue on iPhone 7 where Home Button click settings would not appear in search results
    • • Fixes an issue that prevented spam alert extensions from blocking calls
    • • Resolves an issue that could prevent alarm sounds from going off
    • • Fixes an issue where audio playback via Bluetooth would cause the Taptic engine to stop providing feedback for some users
    • • Resolves an issue preventing some users from restoring from iCloud Backup
    • For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/HT201222

5. ValyrianSteel macrumors newbie

ValyrianSteel

I don't know you guys, but I personally love updates.
    I am downloading right away, will tell you if I find something new ASAP.
    Cheers!

6. apolloa macrumors G4

Eh what? So another week and another iOS update with the same version number as last weeks but you can't get it over the air... what??.?.

Well done Apple, usual iOS quality release there.

7. john g. macrumors member

john g.

Still not seeing the update for my 6s. Is it just for the 7? Anyone update on an older phone?

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Uhh because you are not required to update to it. It probably fixes a hiccup in the installation process like 9.2.1 did when they re-released it. If you are on 10.1.1 and everything is working fine, you literally have nothing to worry about and can ignore this.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2016 ---
    Its not OTA, its iTunes only and its only meant for those still on 10.1. Don't worry about it.

9. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Did you already have 10.1.1 (or even 10.1) installed?

10. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Don't see it for my 7+ nor iPad Pro.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I had 10.1 installed.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I had 10.1.1 installed and got that same pop-up in iTunes.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2016 ---
    Its not OTA. iTunes only.

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Interesting. I figured it just included all the 10.1 information in it in case it would apply to those who haven't updated from something before 10.1, but I guess it just has that by default.

14. Jordan Klein macrumors newbie

I believe that is the number of times that the software was built, not the number of code commits to it. There could be one commit, but if a nightly build is done, it might automatically increment the build number each time.

15. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Just after I posted my reply, I noticed your post.

16. ValyrianSteel macrumors newbie

ValyrianSteel

Guys, I´m getting incredibly slow download speeds from Apple servers.... 3hs wait on a 2GB file, and my internet connection is pretty solid (50Mbs Optic fibre).

I guess that I´m not the only one, right?

17. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Recovery mode would be sufficient, DFU does about the same thing. For those saying this is a non-issue caused by inattentive users, this is not the case. The unknown passcode requirement has been happening for a while, but I think Apple most likely had a tough time pinning down the cause as it's kinda hard to gather diagnostics on why it happens.
    Stole my post! Well, not really, your joke is better than anything I thought up. :D

18. Jordan Klein macrumors newbie

Just thought of something. How do we know that Apple's update servers haven't been compromised and that this "release" doesn't contain malware? I've already got 10.1.1 installed and iTunes is telling me that 10.1.1 is available for download.

I'm pretty peeved with Apple over this. No release notes to differentiate this from the 10.1.1 that they pushed on Oct 31? Even if this is legit, this is an unprofessional practice.

A lot of people stopped using Dropbox because the developers stopped putting out a changelog for new releases. Their updates said something like "We update our software periodically". Those of us who care about what is being updated or changed decided we didn't trust the company anymore and have removed the software from our systems.

I use Transmission as my BitTorrent client and it went through something very similar a few months ago. Their update server was compromised and the criminals pushed out a malware-infested version of Transmission.

19. edwardwash1 macrumors newbie

edwardwash1

Plug your iphone into a Computer and look at the changes listed.

20. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

As most of the thread discusses, that doesn't show what's new in this new iOS 10.1.1 build.

21. zz_nosa_r macrumors regular

zz_nosa_r

The security page has been updated with November 1 and 2 entries. The initial 10.1.1 was released on October 31. I believe these are new patches:

Since 10.1.1 contains Security fixes of 10.1, it was updated with November entries after the initial 10.1.1 release.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT207271

Kernel

Available for: iPhone 5 and later, iPad 4th generation and later, iPod touch 6th generation and later

Impact: A local user may be able to cause an unexpected system termination or arbitrary code execution in the kernel

Description: Multiple input validation issues existed in MIG generated code. These issues were addressed through improved validation.

CVE-2016-4669: Ian Beer of Google Project Zero

Entry updated November 2, 2016

Kernel

Available for: iPhone 5 and later, iPad 4th generation and later, iPod touch 6th generation and later

Impact: An application may be able to disclose kernel memory

Description: A validation issue was addressed through improved input sanitization.

CVE-2016-4680: Max Bazaliy of Lookout and in7egral

Kernel

Impact: A local application may be able to execute arbitrary code with root privileges

Description: Multiple object lifetime issues existed when spawning new processes. These were addressed through improved validation.

CVE-2016-7613: Ian Beer of Google Project Zero

Entry added November 1, 2016

22. slimothy Suspended

slimothy

23. Jordan Klein macrumors newbie

I believe those apply to the Oct 31 release of 10.1.1. If there are really new security fixes in this release, there's virtually no way Apple wouldn't increment the release number and provide us a changelog specific to 10.1.2.

24. PR1985 macrumors 6502a

Problems updating apps at the moment, No matter whether via iPhone or iTunes.

25. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It's likely that it was simply the time when the information was added to the page, rather than what is part of iOS 10.1.1 original or not. I would say that if there were truly security fixes or something beyond some sort of an installation type of fix then the iOS version number should/would have been increased so that the update would be made available to everyone over OTA as well.