Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I get the feeling its probably a server side numbering update with nothing new in it. The fact I can plug my iPhone 7 into iTunes and not be offered it shows its not needed if you have 10.1.1 already via OTA.

I had updated OTA to 10.1.1 and was prompted to upgrade to the second version of 10.1.1 through iTunes.

Reactions: photographypro

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Uhh because you are not required to update to it. It probably fixes a hiccup in the installation process like 9.2.1 did when they re-released it. If you are on 10.1.1 and everything is working fine, you literally have nothing to worry about and can ignore this.
[doublepost=1478720132][/doublepost]

Its not OTA, its iTunes only and its only meant for those still on 10.1. Don't worry about it.

Not true. Hook your device to your computer view USB and check. You'll see it.
[doublepost=1479055963][/doublepost]
What a load of rubbish!

Sorry but I've just installed 10.1.1 on my iPhone 7 without doing that.
I connected to my LAN over WiFi, went to Settings->General->Software update
No iTunes, no cable connection.
Took end to end around 15 minutes. There is no way that it downloaded 2Gb in the less than 50 seconds that it took to download.

You didn't already have 10.1.1 ALREADY did you? All my devices WERE updated to 10.1.1, but check your build number. When I hooked my iPad Air and 6S+ to my computer, which ALREADY have 10.1.1, it tells me there is a NEW update available, 10.1.1. I'm installing it because my battery life went to hell after the first 10.1.1 on my 6S Plus.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Not true. Hook your device to your computer view USB and check. You'll see it.

Clearly you missed the part where I said its NOT required. just because iTunes tells you about it doesn't mean you are required to install it. If it was a required security update it would be OTA. This update has absolutely zero bug fixes for past version of iOS. Your battery life will be no different. This is most likely only for those that experienced installation problems.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Well I finally bit the bullet and updated my iPhone 6 from iOS 8 to iOS 10 using WiFi ota.
I notice that safari fps is slower and stacattos while scrolling where before it was buttery smooth. Hopefully they fix that.
The rest seems normal and some of my really old iOS 5 apps give me the "slow warning".
Of course iTunes 11 doesn't see my phone but I'm upgrading to 10.11 on my Mac Pro 1,1 using Pikers patch.
Assuming iTunes 12 will work then.

Follow up: for some reason I can't sync my phone, even on my supported iMac. It backs up and then quickly goes through the rest. No new apps show up in the app section. Even though I'm on 10.1.1 iOS iTunes insists there's an update and I tried twice to apply it and I get a 9006 error.
So now I have to wait for 10.2 hopping that will fix it. So in the mean time no ability to backup and sync my phone, even after restarting.
Also battery life has gone down the tubes even though I only have a few background apps.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
WoW! 2,45GB thru iTunes. iPhone 7 Plus.
Would be interesting to see what's new.

Interesting how it's bigger on different devices. iOS is more like 2.2GB on a 6s, and 2.0 on an SE (which is basically the same thing, but does lack the "3D touch" and might have some lower resolution art in it, since the screen is slightly lower resolution, which might account for the change.)

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Follow up: for some reason I can't sync my phone, even on my supported iMac. It backs up and then quickly goes through the rest. No new apps show up in the app section. Even though I'm on 10.1.1 iOS iTunes insists there's an update and I tried twice to apply it and I get a 9006 error.
So now I have to wait for 10.2 hopping that will fix it. So in the mean time no ability to backup and sync my phone, even after restarting.
Also battery life has gone down the tubes even though I only have a few background apps.

Found out Apple is poking me in the eye again. Apparently sync is working but since iOS 9 Apple no longer transfers purchases to your computer so after I sync I have to go to the store and download the exact same file again.
The problem is I only have hotspot internet so I have to double dip my data usage. Almost sounds like a conspiracy between Apple and the cell phone carriers.

Andrewtst

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
I know this is old, wondering what is the exact differences.

Update from iPhone itself - 10.1.1 (14B100) - no new firmware prompt.
Update from iTunes - 10.1.1 (14B150) - new firmware prompt when connect to iTunes

31095552125_c887b8ef5b_z_d.jpg
31059806616_ba6c35908d_z_d.jpg

spamurai

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
England
I plugged into iTunes and downloaded this update but it won't install on my device.

I just get:
"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (4000)".

My phone already has 10.1.1. But iTunes wants to update but errors.

Reactions: JosephAW

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I plugged into iTunes and downloaded this update but it won't install on my device.

I just get:
"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (4000)".

My phone already has 10.1.1. But iTunes wants to update but errors.
Mine says 9006 or 9004 error.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I had updated OTA to 10.1.1 and was prompted to upgrade to the second version of 10.1.1 through iTunes.
Mine does offer it now but its not needed, if it was a security update or a fix it would 10.1.2 so just ignore it, well thats what I'm doing. This has happened before and it wasn't needed then either.

nigelpeck

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016

Apple today seeded a minor version change to iOS 10.1.1, the current version of the iOS 10 operating system. The update is minor enough that it did not warrant a full 10.x.x number change, but it does include an updated build number.

iOS 10.1.1 being released today has a build number of 14B150, while the initial iOS 10.1.1 release, which came on October 31, had a build number of 14B100.

ios-10-1-1-image-800x428.jpg

The new build of iOS 10.1.1 is only available as a download from Apple's servers and cannot be obtained over-the-air at this time for those who have already installed the first version of iOS 10.1.1. The new version of iOS 10.1.1 will likely be provided to those who have yet to install iOS 10.1.1, as it otherwise requires an iTunes connection to obtain.

There is no new information in the changelog for the updated build, so it is unclear what minor bug fixes or changes it brings.

The first version of iOS 10.1.1 fixed a bug that caused Health data to be unavailable for some users. A minor update, iOS 10.1.1 was released shortly after iOS 10.1, a more significant update that brought a new "Portrait" mode and dozens of bug fixes and feature improvements.

Article Link: Apple Releases Updated Version of iOS 10.1.1

This update was a big deal for me and anyone else who uses Web Audio API. It finally fixed an issue where iPad was completely muting Web Audio API, and had been since 9.3.2. Very pleased that this is finally resolved. More info on Stack Overflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37431296/ios-ipad-disabling-web-audio-api

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.