Apple Releases watchOS 3.1.1 With Bug Fixes, Performance Improvements and New Emoji

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 12, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released a new software update for the Apple Watch, upgrading watchOS 3.1 to watchOS 3.1.1. The watchOS 3.1.1 update comes more than two months after thewatchOS 3 was provided to the public in September and marks the second update to the operating system. watchOS 3.1.1 has been in testing since October 31.

watchOS 3.1.1 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone. An iPhone running iOS 10 or later is required to download the new software, but it is available for all Apple Watch models.

[​IMG]

No major outward-facing changes were discovered in watchOS 3.1.1 during the beta testing period, suggesting it focuses on bug fixes and performance improvements. watchOS 3.1.1 does support the new Unicode 9 emoji that have been introduced in iOS 10.2 and it includes a new feature for changing the skin tone of emoji. A full list of bug fixes is below:
    watchOS 3 completely overhauls the interface on the Apple Watch, introducing a dedicated app dock, instant launch apps, new watch faces, and new complication options. There are new Activity sharing features, a "Breathe" app guides users through deep breathing sessions, and an SOS feature can automatically call emergency service.

For more details on what's new in watchOS 3, make sure to check out our watchOS 3 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 3.1.1 With Bug Fixes, Performance Improvements and New Emoji

2. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I want to update this but I think I'll wait to hear how you guys out there are experiencing it. I'm so satisfied with 3.1 I don't want to break it! Battery life is off the hook.

3. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

4. jwm macrumors 6502

jwm

I hope this doesn't screw-up the great battery life. I'm getting almost 3 days at the moment.

5. Avieshek, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

6. windywalks macrumors 6502

I'm currently on the new WatchOS and iOS version on Series 0 and iPhone 7.

Did anyone experience a deluge of notifications after going out of airplane mode or coming into range of their phone even though the notifications have all been previously read on the iPhone?

I haven't had this issue until 10.2 and 3.1.1.

7. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

please make this fix my apple watch just randomly just switching off and on again....

8. adamjackson macrumors 68000

I don't even get excited about OS Updates anymore. It's all about emoji.

9. Runkel macrumors newbie

Runkel

BS!

It's all about security updates and bug fixes, and that should be something you have to be excited about. No other smartphone/tablet company will provide updates that fast to the entire product lineup.

Emojis are something, Apple will implement referencing to the Unicode Standard. They have to implement them.
    You should blame the media, that they will only talk about Emoji and not about fixed security, bugs and features.

10. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I hope this does not break the extraordinary battery life in 3.1!

11. Jukens macrumors regular

12. Jerry Raia macrumors regular

Jerry Raia

13. chuyn macrumors 6502

I've been using the latest beta (which I'm pretty sure is the same build as this release) and the battery life on my 1st gen 38mm has been at least as good as 3.1.

14. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Apple is getting so damn pathetic. EVERYTHING released by them is now buggy. Updated iPhone to 10.2, but now getting a "Could Not Connect to Apple Watch" prompt in the Watch app, even though both my phone and watch show connected to each other.

15. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Huh? How?

16. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

I'll be curious to see whether this makes Siri any more reliable on my watch.

If my phone is in my pocket, Siri on the watch works great. But if I'm 30-40 feet from the phone (with both devices on the same, strong wifi network) Siri can be slow... and sometimes will eventually time out with "no Siri connection".

Also, I second the comment "I hope this doesn't screw up the great battery life of iOS 3.1". I get two days out of my Series 1 watch now, with no set-up compromises made for the sake of battery life.

17. Jaylay14 macrumors newbie

Yes!! I was weirdly having this happen to me the odd time...

18. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

So how does this work on the Watch? I picture some doofus standing there, Dick Tracy style, talking into his watch and saying

"make him whiter... whiter... whiter... he's still not white enough!"

19. jakeowens macrumors member

mine has been installing for the last hour and a half... seems stuck after the full circle of progress has completed....

20. RobinInOR macrumors 6502a

RobinInOR

got the same thing. I had to reboot my watch first, then my phone could see it and start the update.
    Even on my ipad and iPhone I had to forget my network settings (work secured network) and restart it - otherwise they locked up as well.

21. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

All good stuff. Now, Apple, fix the random reboots of the Watch 2 and maybe enable a way to deactivate Siri. She always seems to pop up when I'm not doing anything with the "I'm not sure what you said" screen. Oh, and me and a couple friends also see random exercise events starting. Sometimes it'll randomly start an open run for me and another guy gets random "rowing" exercises started on his.

22. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Same here. Even though it showed connected on my Watch, it actually wasn't. Turning on Airplane mode of my watch didn't turn it on the phone, nor vice versa. Had to reboot watch and phone (even though the phone was already rebooted for the 10.2 update).

23. nikster0029 macrumors 6502

nikster0029

I thought I was the only one

24. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

I did, too. Especially when googling and not seeing it specifically mentioned. It's drowned out by the other stuff. I've had the watch for a few months now. I can take it or leave it. Maybe when it dies I'll just let it go.

25. pinchu71, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

pinchu71 macrumors newbie

Me too!

Stuck in Apple white logo