Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases watchOS 3.1.1 With Bug Fixes, Performance Improvements and New Emoji

martin2list

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2014
Dresden
Had to do a forced restart on my S2 by holding the side button and Digital Crown for 10 seconds (despite a warning not to restart during the update). It had been stuck on full circle for ages. Now working fine.
great advice... mine says now "www.apple.com/help/watch" and a red exclamation mark ..
THANK YOU

Edit: Apparently I can send mine back to apple now. Man... barely had it a week. and waited almost and a month for it and now that... Such an idiotic advice

Last edited:
Comment

SiriuslySirius

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
Louisiana
I want to update this but I think I'll wait to hear how you guys out there are experiencing it. I'm so satisfied with 3.1 I don't want to break it! Battery life is off the hook.
Battery life off the hook??? Man, OS 3 totally destroyed my battery life (3.1 helped a bit). I was getting almost three days with OS 2. I'm barely getting 1.5 days with OS 3.1. ☹

Comment

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Update: I've had to book a Genius Bar appointment because my watch went into recovery mode for no reason. Next appointment is a week away. Great.

Comment

Rey Esposito

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2016
Ugh mine is taking forever to update as usual. (original series) Hope it doesn't get stuck! And of course I was just about to go out of the house, how silly of me to think the update might go quickly this time :oops::rolleyes::apple:

Comment

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Battery life off the hook??? Man, OS 3 totally destroyed my battery life (3.1 helped a bit). I was getting almost three days with OS 2. I'm barely getting 1.5 days with OS 3.1. ☹

See 3.0 destroyed my watch. Couldn't make it 10 hours. Now I can get over 40 hours after 3.1. I can't lose that progress!

Comment

superduperdom

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Tried to update to 3.1.1, now my watch is bricked with the red exclamation point. No genius bar appointments this week. Sucks.

Reactions: marvz
Comment

TheIntruder

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2008
The update to my S0 didn't take inordinately long, but getting there was an issue.

At first, the Watch app kept complaining that I wasn't connected to WiFi.

Then, the installation paused itself at various stages.

The modern equivalent to slapping the side of a recalcitrant TV finally got things going.

When it finally got the the stage where the payload was loaded and verified, the circular progress meter only took about 20 minutes to complete.

"It just works."

Comment

poose22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
I was able to complete the update, but my Watch App on my iphone just says "Installing..." even though it completed. Rebooted the phone and watch, but it still says this. Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: after giving it some time, it no longer shows installing. it says it's up to date now!

Last edited:
Comment

kissfan

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2011
Florida
Update was stuck about 20% completed. Let it sit for 3 hours. No movement. Got Apple support in a chat window. He wanted a force reset. I asked: "won't that brick the Watch?" He says 'no.' He was wrong. Off to Genius Bar in the morning. Sweet QC job there engineering. Sweet.

Reactions: marvz
Comment

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Someone must have cancelled their appointment at the Hornsby store which is 600m from me. Going from a week wait to a few hours.
Keep checking online, you might get lucky if someone cancels!

Comment

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Update was stuck about 20% completed. Let it sit for 3 hours. No movement. Got Apple support in a chat window. He wanted a force reset. I asked: "won't that brick the Watch?" He says 'no.' He was wrong. Off to Genius Bar in the morning. Sweet QC job there engineering. Sweet.
Same with me. Waited 5 hours (update circle on Apple Watch was completed). Did a force restart now it's bricked. Nice one.

So the only way is to go the Apple Store?

Comment

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
To those with bricked watches: How long since you last rebooted the watch? I always reboot my devices before an update (also close all apps on the iPhone/iPad before the reboot), let it sit for 5 min after the reboot to make sure all services are running properly and no indexing is going on, and then start the update.

Never had an issue.

(I also reboot my devices about once a week, or when I feel it's necessary or I just have time (an old habit from my Windows times :p), and do the same for my wife's and mom's devices when I think it's been a while.)

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Update: I've had to book a Genius Bar appointment because my watch went into recovery mode for no reason. Next appointment is a week away. Great.

Sorry to hear. These updates are inconsistent sometimes. Hopefully it's resolved and your Watch will be restored as it was. Good luck.

Comment

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
It takes like an hour on the series 2. It isn't "stuck." Just go outside and watch the birds while it does its thing.

That's kinda way too long....

So my first thought when I see that a new update is ready is "really? drag". Sure there will be nice new features, but I do not get excited about giving ~2 hours of my day to a phone update and a watch update back-to-back.

Plus you can't really know when it will be done if its sitting on your kitchen counter and you're not there with it. I actually use my watch to tell time and stuff. Oh, and my phone is still stuck on the kitchen counter....

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
mine has been installing for the last hour and a half... seems stuck after the full circle of progress has completed....

Me too!

Stuck in Apple white logo

Mine is stuck too, has been for over an hour. Series 2

yeah my S2 as well. full circle but still not making any progress.

It takes like an hour on the series 2. It isn't "stuck." Just go outside and watch the birds while it does its thing.

great advice... mine says now "www.apple.com/help/watch" and a red exclamation mark ..
THANK YOU

Edit: Apparently I can send mine back to apple now. Man... barely had it a week. and waited almost and a month for it and now that... Such an idiotic advice

Tried to update to 3.1.1, now my watch is bricked with the red exclamation point. No genius bar appointments this week. Sucks.

Mine's bricked as well.
Have to send it it. :(

Same with me. Waited 5 hours (update circle on Apple Watch was completed). Did a force restart now it's bricked. Nice one.

So the only way is to go the Apple Store?

WOW - Came here to post how my Series 2 failed to update and is now bricked with the red exclamation mark. I guess I'm not alone!

I let it start when I went to sleep. Saw the circle slowly progressing. Then the whole night whenever I opened my eyes it was on the circle. When I woke up, 7 hours later, I held power button to see what it was doing and it rebooted to the red exclamation mark. WTF.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.