Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shyos

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
Not sure what you are all doing to your watches but I had no issue at all installing this update. Could not have been any smoother!

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Not sure what you are all doing to your watches but I had no issue at all installing this update. Could not have been any smoother!

We put them on the charger and tapped "Install Now" in the iOS Watch app. What else could we be doing?

Do you have a Series 2?

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I didn't have any crashes, but interestingly once I got done with the update the Watch app showed the exact same update was there and went to install for a 2nd round (successfully).

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
Another one bites the dust... same situation as many others. Put it on the charger to install update while I slept, woke up with it stuck at 100% went to investigate and it rebooted in paperweight mode.

Next genius appointment is Thursday so at least not as bad as some here who are waiting a week or more.

Macrumors might want to make a PSA about this so other watch owners are aware of the issue effecting at least a number of the readers of this community.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Another one bites the dust... same situation as many others. Put it on the charger to install update while I slept, woke up with it stuck at 100% went to investigate and it rebooted in paperweight mode.

Next genius appointment is Thursday so at least not as bad as some here who are waiting a week or more.

Macrumors might want to make a PSA about this so other watch owners are aware of the issue effecting at least a number of the readers of this community.

Damn. True - we should try to make a PSA for this. I immediately messaged 3 of my close friends early this morning who have Series 2 and warned them not to update.

Reactions: Phogro

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
It's such a shame because I'm usually not afraid of updating a X.x.x release. Major releases, sure I'll give it a day or two to settle out, but a minor release like this should have zero issues.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
What really sucks is the only way to fix this is sending the watch out to Apple. Going to be without it for a while.

Shyos

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
We put them on the charger and tapped "Install Now" in the iOS Watch app. What else could we be doing?

Do you have a Series 2?

yes I do have a series 2, just left my phone next the watch and when I came back all was perfectly well. 20 minutes or so... did not tap install now on the watch, just left things running from the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: profets

JayTay

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Norwich
I have seen a few people on Reddit say that apparently the Stores can't do anything other than send it off so you may want to contact Apple Support directly to arrange a mail in (or Express Replacement if you have AppleCare+).

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I have seen a few people on Reddit say that apparently the Stores can't do anything other than send it off so you may want to contact Apple Support directly to arrange a mail in (or Express Replacement if you have AppleCare+).

I was planning on going to the store as they open and get a same day type of appointment. I've seen them do that quite often. Though you're right, the only thing they can do is send it away.

I do have AppleCare + on my Watch. I should look up what this Express Replacement is.

Reactions: aristobrat

kmm1482

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
Anyone else's watch not pinging their phone? Also, anyone else seeing this after their watch updates?

Attachments

• IMG_0588.PNG
    IMG_0588.PNG
    152 KB · Views: 241

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Reactions: rowi1de

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA

Thanks for this - contacted support - it is true that Apple Stores can do nothing to repair a watch in recovery mode. For a company that prides itself on user experience this is certainly not what I expect.

Reactions: profets

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
BS!

It's all about security updates and bug fixes, and that should be something you have to be excited about. No other smartphone/tablet company will provide updates that fast to the entire product lineup.

Emojis are something, Apple will implement referencing to the Unicode Standard. They have to implement them.
You should blame the media, that they will only talk about Emoji and not about fixed security, bugs and features.

It's not BS. Apple used to provide new features. Security Updates have always been a a given. Every tech company gives security updates. Microsoft famously has Patch Tuesday for security updates and they are clear when an OS is no longer given security updates, etc.

The narrative you are providing me is that Apple is doing what is required. They have to do Unicode updates and they have to do security updates. What are they doing for us that's not required?

I want to see what's new and exciting, not pretty animations and malware fixes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.