Apple Releases watchOS 4.2 With Support for Apple Pay Cash

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released watchOS 4.2, the second major update to the watchOS 4 operating system that runs on the Apple Watch. watchOS 4.2 comes a little over one month after the release of watchOS 4.1, the first major update to watchOS 4 that brought Apple Music streaming over LTE.

watchOS 4.2 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.

[​IMG]

The watchOS 4.2 update introduces support for Apple Pay Cash, Apple's new peer-to-peer payments service designed to let users transfer money to one another. Apple Pay Cash, which is also available in iOS 11.2, can be used to send and receive money through the Messages app on the Apple Watch. Apple Pay Cash started rolling out yesterday and is officially available for all U.S. users as of today.

Payments are sent using a linked credit or debit card (or an existing Apple Pay Cash balance), while money received is stored within a new Apple Pay Cash card that's available in the Wallet app. For more on Apple Pay Cash, make sure to check out our how to.

Along with support for Apple Pay Cash, the watchOS 4.2 update also adds support for HomeKit sprinklers and faucets, plus it introduces a new workout type that allows third-party apps to track distance, average speed, number of runs, and elevation descended for downhill snow sports with Apple Watch Series 3.

The update addresses a bug that could cause the Apple Watch to sometimes restart when asking Siri about the weather, it fixes an issue that could cause scrolling to be disabled in Heart Rate for some users, and it resolves an issue that prevented simultaneous timers or alarms from being dismissed independently.

For more on the watchOS 4 operating system, make sure to check out our dedicated watchOS 4 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 4.2 With Support for Apple Pay Cash

2. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

It's a different build to the last beta. Build is 15S102 (Beta 4 was 15S5102b). Just saying because recently they haven't been different.

3. MacknTosh macrumors member

And by ’available for everyone’, you naturally mean ‘available for US customers’ (which for some people means the same thing).

4. joepatt98 macrumors newbie

joepatt98

Yes! That is what is most important to me right now!

5. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

I hope it resolves the Mail sync issue. I have unread mail and mail from months ago in my inbox on the watch only. It's been like this since Watch OS 3!

6. IxRich macrumors newbie

IxRich

Everyone or everyone in the US? At least try to remember that there's an entire planet outside the USA.

7. Starship67 macrumors regular

Starship67

2nd star to the right and straight on til morning

get over it.

8. Jaylay14 macrumors newbie

They need to bring back the way you could browse through your music that is on your iPhone! I miss it so much :(

9. IxRich macrumors newbie

IxRich

Asking for clarity. How about you get over it

10. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Wrong thread

11. zhang96 macrumors member

zhang96

Come on, what does it take for you to add "(US only)" in your damn title?

12. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

13. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

I’ve learned my lesson from the last few Apple releases. I’ll hold off on this one.

14. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

That’ll be three hours of my life gone while it downloads and installs. ☹️

15. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

That is so true. These watches are so sloooooooow to update.

16. themick4u macrumors regular

themick4u

Series 0 owners:

If you are on 3.x.x Stay on it.

4.x.x runs horrible on series 0.

17. mrwilly25 macrumors member

The entire update process for my Series 3 was completed in under 30 min.

18. Drzed macrumors member

The same applies to the Series 2. It was so great on watchOS 3, now it’s SOOOO slow on 4 that it feels painful to use.

Slow unresponsive touches, Siri often giving the “hang tight while I work on it” etc. I even rest the watch and reset up from scratch as a new watch just in case but it’s clear they want us to upgrade to series 3.

19. Da Hurdler macrumors member

Da Hurdler

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Can you send money via the watch? Or only use it to pay? Anyone figure it out?

EDIT: Nevermind there is a button that shows up in the messages, mine just wasn't showing up until I exited the current message and came back in.

21. axantas macrumors regular

axantas

Objection - on my old Series 0 WatchOs 4 runs absolutely fine - from the day of release. The little "waiting" breaks are nothing new. Series 0 does have that sometimes.
    Ok, I had to have the Series 3 LTE, but Series 0 is still great. Running about 36hours with one charge vs. 3 days of Series 3 is quite a difference, but furthermore no problems at all.

22. Starship67 macrumors regular

Starship67

2nd star to the right and straight on til morning
    Complete nonsense my 0 runs fine with watchOS 4 the betas took some battery life, but this final should correct that.

23. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Which third party apps support the new ski tracking workout?

24. Sanlitun, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

This one took ages to get past the verifying phase for me.

25. yngrshr macrumors regular

It’s truly awful. What band is it even?