Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases watchOS 5.0.1 Update for Apple Watch With Activity Ring Fix

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new software update for the Apple Watch, upgrading watchOS 5 to watchOS 5.0.1. The new watchOS 5.0.1 release comes 10 days after Apple released the watchOS 5 update.

watchOS 5.0.1 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update.

To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.

The watchOS 5.0.1 update is minor in scale and focuses on fixing bugs that have been discovered since the watchOS 5 update. According to Apple's release notes, watchOS 5.0.1 addresses an issue that caused a "small number of users" to see increased exercise minutes, fixes a bug that caused some users not to receive stand credit in the afternoon, and solves a problem that could prevent the Apple Watch from charging.

watchOS 5, the latest major watchOS update, brought a slew of new features to the operating system. It includes Activity Competitions for challenging friends, a Walkie-Talkie mode with real-time push-to-talk communication, support for Siri shortcuts, new watch faces, and tons more.

For details on everything new in watchOS 5, make sure to check ourtour watchOS 5 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 5.0.1 Update for Apple Watch With Activity Ring Fix

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Good thing I am staying away from 12 on my main devices - I only have it on my iPad 10.5 which I don’t care if it’s flaky - I think by 12.02, 12.03,12.1 a lot more uncovered bugs will be squashed

Alendrix

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
So let's see. With my new Apple Watch 4, I was finally getting a fair amount of exercise ring credit on an Outdoor Walk workout (Avg Pace 20 minutes, which is 3mph), and walking for 20 minutes was giving me roughly 15 minutes of 'exercise ring'.

I guess after this update, it'll go back to 'normal' where the above walk will give me 2-3 minutes of exercise ring for the same activity? Nice....:-/

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
I thought it was just me about my watch not wanting to charge. Put it on the charger and it would take a minute or two to register. I have tried different chargers, but same results. Connect different apple watch and it connected right away. Interesting.

I hope that one day, Apple does away with "Make sure Apple Watch is on it's charger".

hhmm, I have done that last two updates unplugged, including upgrade to WatchOs 5
[doublepost=1538080534][/doublepost]
Let's see if it fixes missing mail notifications and Hey Siri because slow as crap.

I was missing all kinds of notifications before WatchOs 5, so it's not much of a change yet.

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
Good thing I am staying away from 12 on my main devices - I only have it on my iPad 10.5 which I don’t care if it’s flaky - I think by 12.02, 12.03,12.1 a lot more uncovered bugs will be squashed

This is a watchOS update. Also, not sure why you are holding off from updating to iOS 12? You are only hurting yourself and missing out on performance and features. Sometimes people can be too smart for themselves.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I'm not a fan of entering my pin code on the watch to download this update to the watch. For years now, I just put my watch on the charger and start the update download. Anyone else thrown off by this change?

Reactions: vjl323

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
I'm not a fan of entering my pin code on the watch to download this update to the watch. For years now, I just put my watch on the charger and start the update download. Anyone else thrown off by this change?
I didn’t get prompted to. Sure you just didn’t do it because you saw the keypad appear somehow before it updated?

Reactions: Stargher

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012

I'd like to see these updates auto installed late at night once updates become available. Supposedly iOS 12 added this feature for iOS updates, they need to consider it for the watch too.

Reactions: johnmed and Duckit

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

This time next year, search and replace 12 with 13 and post.
[doublepost=1538081375][/doublepost]
I'd like to see these updates auto installed late at night once updates become available. Supposedly iOS 12 added this feature for iOS updates, they need to consider it for the watch too.

Not while there isn’t a user-accessible rollback process...

djcerla

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
After just 2 days with the AW4 Cellular, carrying the iPhone when I go out is a complete no-no.

It’s a wonderful feeling of freedom; now I realize how much useless social network and website checking I was doing. A complete revelation. This is the beginning of the end for the smartphone as far as I can tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.