Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 6.1, the first major update to the watchOS 6 operating system that's designed to run on modern Apple Watch models. watchOS 6.1 comes more than a month after the launch of watchOS 6.

?watchOS 6?.1 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated ?Apple Watch? app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update. To install the new software, the ?Apple Watch? needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.

applewatchseries5-800x609.jpg

No major changes were found during the watchOS 6.1 beta testing period, but according to Apple's release notes the update introduces support for the AirPods Pro and brings watchOS 6 to older models that didn't get it yet.
watchOS 6.1 introduces support for AirPods Pro and includes improvements and bug fixes. This update also brings watchOS 6 to Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 2.
watchOS 6.1 works with the Series 1 and Series 2 Apple Watch models and is the first version of watchOS 6 to run on those devices.

When watchOS 6 launched, it was limited to the Series 3 Apple Watch and later, with Apple promising watchOS 6 for older Apple Watch models at a later date.

Apple has also released watchOS 5.3.3 with security improvements for Apple Watch models not updated to watchOS 6. watchOS 6 requires a newer iPhone that can run iOS 13, so Apple Watch owners who do not have a compatible iPhone must continue to use watchOS 5.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 6.1 With Support for AirPods Pro and Series 1 and Series 2 Apple Watch Models

Last edited:

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Hope this fixes the the abysmal battery life of earlier WatchOS 6 versions. Without even using the watch, it drains battery like crazy (running on Series 4)
The update for 6.1 hasn’t shown up for me yet, but I’ve been running the 6.1 betas. Battery life is considerably better. With 6.0, I was finishing the day with 30-35% battery left. With 6.1 betas, it was closer to 55-65% at the end of the day. One thing I did notice was that the noise complication was a bad one to run. It sucked more power than any other complication, so avoiding that one is a good thing.

I’m not sure if I don’t see the 6.1 update because Apple deemed the last beta as the release version or whether I have to remove the profile in order to see the update.

EDIT: I just removed the beta profile and rebooted the watch and killed the Watch app. The 6.1 update now shows up at 99.5MB in size.

Last edited:

hubieonekanubie

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Kansas
I’m waiting on this one. I got lucky with my homepod update yesterday. Plus most people don’t update their watch during the day if they don’t have a charger so I’d recommend giving it a couple of days to get more end user feedback.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
The update for 6.1 hasn’t shown up for me yet, but I’ve been running the 6.1 betas. Battery life is considerably better. With 6.0, I was finishing the day with 30-35% battery left. With 6.1 betas, it was closer to 55-65% at the end of the day. One thing I did notice was that the noise complication was a bad one to run. It sucked more power than any other complication, so avoiding that one is a good thing.

I’m not sure if I don’t see the 6.1 update because Apple deemed the last beta as the release version or whether I have to remove the profile in order to see the update.

You will have to remove the beta profile to see the update.

NorCalZman

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010
Can someone test if this fixes the issue with uploading and syncing podcasts to the watch after this update?

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
watchOS 6.1 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.
iPhone? Apple Watch App? How quaint. It’s 2019 now, download it directly on the Watch:

BA0DDC1D-745B-4224-B25A-7EA17E1C68CB.png

A05CCA8B-5D67-4A61-852C-DEA8871EA4D4.png

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
In the last beta my Apple Watch series 1 lasted just over a day. In the last watchOS 5 it was nearly a day and a half. This version of watchOS 6.1 is slightly newer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.