Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Mandela could have been vengeful in regards to his 27 years in prison. But yet, his grace and amazing humor in later years just amazed a lot of people.

He will be seriously missed.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
RIP Nelson Mandela. He was a product of his environment. He didn't start out in life wanting to become 'terrorist' as some people label him. He studied at law at university as a young man, but the abhorrent apartheid regime in his own land where minority whites beat, whipped, killed, and subdued the majority black population into submission forced people like Mr. Mandela to take action. Unfortunately this was often bloody action, but you can only fight bullets and batons with words for so long.

I worked with a white female South African in the early 2000s. She moved to London with her family after growing up in a place just outside Johannesburg. She would tell me horrific stories of that place. At 8pm every evening the curfew sirens would sound. From that point on the police and army would start rounding up any black individuals who were still outside. Young, old, whatever. They would be arrested, and would all be beaten with batons. Many were clubbed to death on the side of the street. Imagine that happening on the street you live. Do you think you would be inclined to fight back?

Peaceful demonstrations by the black population who only wanted equal rights in their own country would be stamped on by the white authorities who gave orders to shoot to kill.

These are the facts of the matter.

You cannot dispute the tyranny experienced by black South Africans. You cannot dispute the hardship experienced by black South Africans.

Are you getting it yet?

These types of actions are what made people like Nelson Mandela turn from staging peaceful demonstrations to taking up arms. Many, many South Africans didn't, but somebody had to take a stand against apartheid. If that makes him a terrorist, then so be it. But in my eyes, he was a product of his environment, who turned out to be a great and forgiving man.

RTP.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I'm as liberal and politically correct as they come.

And I've already "defended" lowering the U.S. flag half-mast for Mandela.

But I don't see his connection to Apple.

I don't understand why he should be on their homepage.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Great guy, big proponent of freedom and liberty. Of course if you didn't agree with him he could always send his wife to murder you by tying a burning tire around your neck. And of course once he got power and she became a liability he dumped her. Other than that though, Mandela was a wonderful person.

Oh c'mon, Mandela would never do that since he cleaned up his act. If you did disagree with his policies he would do nothing more than shake your hand and secretly order a 7-year tax audit on your non-profit organization, like he did with Dr. Peter Hammond.

Yes, absolutely. I mean, call be naive, but I totally believe that the stories spread by Mandela's political rivals are 100% correct, that these people are just believers in truth. So call me a credulous rube, but I know that although Mandela threatened the foundations of the power structures that placed them at the top, that his political opponents would never spread a single lie or distortion about him, so adherent are they to the Truth. Oh yes, keep telling it like it is, please.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Why would someone honour a bloody terrorist, who turned a tier 1 nuclear power that gave us Mark Shuttleworth and Elon Musk into a country with more rape, murder and disease than most third world ********s?

"Hey guys all that institutional racism is OK because they made nuclear weapons and linux and Paypal! They're good people! WE'RE actually the bad guys!"

Also, if you didn't want a culture filled with the effects of poverty, then perhaps you shouldn't have oppressed that culture in the first place?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I'm as liberal and politically correct as they come.

And I've already "defended" lowering the U.S. flag half-mast for Mandela.

But I don't see his connection to Apple.

I don't understand why he should be on their homepage.

I think the tech industry has made an effort over a long period of time to be non-discriminatory as best it can. Putting Mandela on the homepage shows that. IBM have a long history of diversity. For example they stopped discrimination against gays in 1984.

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
I understand that kind of tribute for Steve Jobs, but what Apple doing now is just PR Marketing ...

Apple using very low PR strategy (based on that kind of sad events) to promote themselves ... nothing more, just to earn sympathy.

Mr. Nelson Mandela - great man indeed. RIP.

No apple is giving free laptops and internet in Africa.. Oh Wait thats wasnt google intel and microsfot ? Nice PNG apple :)

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
"Hey guys all that institutional racism is OK because they made nuclear weapons and linux and Paypal! They're good people! WE'RE actually the bad guys!"

Nuclear weapons are silly.
Mark Shuttleworth and Canonical have contributed less to the linux kernel than Microsoft.
Paypal is rubbish but good and unfortunately ubiquitous.
Nice place to go on holiday, but I'd be petrified to live there for any length of time (then/now/foreseeable future) :)

I wonder how apples should we/shouldn't we publicity meetings sound for stuff like this...

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I think the tech industry has made an effort over a long period of time to be non-discriminatory as best it can. Putting Mandela on the homepage shows that. IBM have a long history of diversity. For example they stopped discrimination against gays in 1984.

To be fair, IBM has a lot to make up for, with their explicit support of Nazi Germany in their Holocaust efforts. IBM actually created a Geneva subsidiary to avoid US trade sanctions against Germany, in order to sell them machines to more efficiently kill people in the Holocaust.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Nuclear weapons are silly.
Mark Shuttleworth and Canonical have contributed less to the linux kernel than Microsoft.
Paypal is rubbish but good and unfortunately ubiquitous.
Nice place to go on holiday, but I'd be petrified to live there for any length of time (then/now/foreseeable future) :)

I wonder how apples should we/shouldn't we publicity meetings sound for stuff like this...

No kidding.

It's ridiculous that there are people that think the insanely violent and oppressive Apartheid regime was OK because it produced a few insignificant tech products.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Considering the atrocities I would have gleefully committed in his position, he was a saint.

There would not be a caucasian head connected to a caucasian body in that country to this day.

Renzatic

Suspended
No kidding.

It's ridiculous that there are people that think the insanely violent and oppressive Apartheid regime was OK because it produced a few insignificant tech products.

Hey. Elon Musk gave the world the first viable electric car and commercial space platform. Say what you will about Shuttleworth, but Musk deserves some props.

...plus I'm fairly sure neither one of them have crap-all to do with Apartheid South Africa.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Considering the atrocities I would have gleefully committed in his position, he was a saint.

There would not be a caucasian head connected to a caucasian body in that country to this day.

Wow, people actually think like this???

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Hey. Elon Musk gave the world the first viable electric car and commercial space platform. Say what you will about Shuttleworth, but Musk deserves some props.

...plus I'm fairly sure neither one of them have crap-all to do with Apartheid South Africa.

LOL. You have no idea about the history of electric cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_electric_vehicle

Also, Convair, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, and others beat Elon Musk at commercial space platforms, so not sure what exactly Elon Musk adds to the industry?

Renzatic

Suspended
LOL. You have no idea about the history of electric cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_electric_vehicle

And how many purely electric vehicles are currently on the market? We have hybrids, sure. But if you want to go with a good electric vehicle, you only have one choice.

Also, Convair, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, and others beat Elon Musk at commercial space platforms, so not sure what exactly Elon Musk adds to the industry?

They're all high technology defense and design firms who contract through the US government. SpaceX is a privately owned commercial enterprise currently launching rockets into space using their own funds and means. You can't compare A with B here.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ

Of course they did help facilitate Nazi genocide, so there is that too...

----------

It's not terrorism when you're fighting the racist occupation of your homeland.

It is if you are not targeting hardened, strategic miltiary targets but instead soft civilian targets with the goal of striking fear in the populace to effect political coercion. That's kind of the definition of terrorism.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
It's nice to know Apple removed all product placements for the people who passed on that did something great in the world.

Sadly, Apple would probably honor Samsung's CEO on front page when Samsung themselves wouldn't. Be it past, current, or future.

I know they would honor those like Bill Gates too.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
And how many purely electric vehicles are currently on the market? We have hybrids, sure. But if you want to go with a good electric vehicle, you only have one choice.

They're all high technology defense and design firms who contract through the US government. SpaceX is a privately owned commercial enterprise currently launching rockets into space using their own funds and means. You can't compare A with B here.

Those companies listed are privately owned and also launch with their own funds, like SpaceX does, so what exactly does SpaceX do that the other companies don't?

----------

Of course they did help facilitate Nazi genocide, so there is that too...

----------

It is if you are not targeting hardened, strategic miltiary targets but instead soft civilian targets with the goal of striking fear in the populace to effect political coercion. That's kind of the definition of terrorism.

That's not the definition of terrorism, as all militaries target civilians.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
All I know is, They cancel two of my favourite TV programmes because of his death. It's a shame for his family and the people who he helped but I don't want to know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.