Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple showcased its mixed-reality headset to the company's top 100 executives in the Steve Jobs Theater last week, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Steve-Jobs-Theater-dusk.jpeg

In the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter, Gurman explained that the "momentous gathering" is a "key milestone" ahead of the headset's public announcement planned for June. The event was intended to rally Apple's top members of staff around the company's next major platform.

Senior Apple executives have apparently gotten a peek at the headset every year since 2018, but these demonstrations were discreet looks at the project's progress rather than showcases of the complete device. Situated at the Steve Jobs Theater, the latest preview was reportedly a far more significant event, being "polished, glitzy, and exciting."

While anticipation of the device's launch is growing inside Apple, Gurman added that the device is likely to launch with several potential issues:
Moreover, the device will start at around $3,000, lack a clear killer app, require an external battery that will need to be replaced every couple of hours and use a design that some testers have deemed uncomfortable. It's also likely to launch with limited media content.
As a result, Apple executives are said to be "striking a realistic tone within the company" with the understanding that "this isn't going to be a hit product right out of the gate," potentially following a similar trajectory as the Apple Watch instead.

The first version of the device "will look like a dud next to the company's existing products," Gurman believes, but it is still "likely to make Apple the market leader in mixed reality within a few months." Executives expect consumer interest to grow as subsequent iterations of the headset launch at lower price points in the future.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Demoed Mixed-Reality Headset to Executives in the Steve Jobs Theater Last Week

Last edited:

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
After so many delays and uncertainty of when it will be released this is significant, as it demonstrates that it’s near the finish line. I would be more interested in how it was received though..

Reactions: toph2toast

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
I'm convinced that it (meaning AR and/or VR) will work and it will outshine everything. The only thing is that we have to be a bit more patient until the chips (which are already on the roadmap today) are built. When an Apple silicon with 1nm or 0.5nm is available, then such solutions in glasses that can be used for everyday life will flood the market.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
If the price point is indeed $3k, then it automatically becomes a specialty/niche product that will not have sufficient user numbers to drive developer interest that could help bring it mainstream. Not that Apple wouldn’t take a chance with a product at this level, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

I would think that there is a much bigger play in getting augmented reality capable glasses produced, that use the iPhone’s processing power to make them work. Reading about how the headset will allow people to do FaceTime calls using avatars just seems awfully stupid. Our iPhones, iPads and MacBooks all allow us to do FaceTime calls where you are yourself, not some computer generated thing.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
List of people who have already seen the headset:

1) Apple’s whole board of directors (in spring 2022) - seen and tried on

2) a number of select high profile 3rd party AR developers (since late 2022) - they have the dev kit in their hands

3) Apple’s top 100 executives (last week)

That’s a lot of people.

It’s high time for us commoners to join the club! Release it already!

prime17569

macrumors regular
May 26, 2021
My guess is that this will be like the first-gen Apple Watch: slow, underpowered, and no clear direction. If they market it correctly and developers get on board, then it will probably find its niche or killer app a couple years in. It'll probably take the Apple AR glasses to replace the iPhone.

I wonder what the Xcode simulators would look like for this device. If apps could be developed using the simulator (or using an iPhone's limited AR capabilities) then it would make it a lot easier for the ecosystem to grow despite the high price of the device.

Well, the high price means it is unlikely to be competing with consumer VR headsets such as the PlayStation VR, they have admitted they don’t have a killer app, and launch with limited content. Doesn’t sound like a potential hit product to me.
I think the hardware will be there to support it but the software is going to lack big time. The lack of Apple AR/VR headset apps will be lacking. It will be very limited. Look at what’s going on with the LiDAR sensor. Not too many compelling apps out there.

Kazgarth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2020
FYI, Meta has quietly pivoted away from VR. Even Meta realizes that the potential for a VR platform is low.
I disagree, they actually doubled down on VR.
Now they have both consumer Quest and high-end/Professional Quest Pro.

But the future is for AR, friction less see-through eye glasses that function as a phone replacement and provide a useful HUD for real life.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I think the hardware will be there to support it but the software is going to lack big time. The lack of Apple AR/VR headset apps will be lacking. It will be very limited. Look at what’s going on with the LiDAR sensor. Not too many compelling apps out there.

Very true, but the LIDAR hardware on iPhone could be very useful for AR. Good quality 3D scanning of the environment would be a big plus point, if they haven’t built it into the headset, or are planning to leave it out of a lower-priced headset in the future.

About the software, I’d think they will use a similar strategy to the iPhone and the Apple Watch, identifying key areas which they think will draw consumer interest and making sure there are suitable capabilities built into the software for those as well as basic applications, and then relying on an App Store to allow third parties to build more software.

The thing is, I recall reading that they were thinking gaming would be a killer app for this device, and games go where there is a market for them. The initial high price (and thus small market) of the device may put off developers who have aimed at PlayStation VR or Meta devices.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
There's an order of magnitude price difference between Apple Watch and the rumored price of this product. I don't see how they will conform to a similar demand curve. Series 0 watches were impulse buys for some people at $350. Not many people will squander $3000 on a novelty product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.