Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Our iPhones, iPads and MacBooks all allow us to do FaceTime calls where you are yourself, not some computer generated thing
You’re only looking at the situation today.

What would a future where remote work can happen virtually. What kind of interactions supports low bandwidth. We can’t be sending full blown real time video. A remote working where you’re with your colleagues virtually - an evolution from the flat zoom calls today.

Gaming is a big use case for sure.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I can’t see this thing as anything other than a flop. The price point will turn almost everyone away and then what incentive would developers have to make stuff for this thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: wilhoitm

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I disagree, they actually doubled down on VR.
Now they have both consumer Quest and high-end/Professional Quest Pro.

But the future is for AR, friction less see-through eye glasses that function as a phone replacement and provide a useful HUD for real life.
That was before they decimated the staff developing it. They have pivoted according to their recent statements. They haven’t abandoned the concept but adjusted a good bit.

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I think the $3000 price being said is an instigated Apple PR plan. It maybe $2500 and people will say wow that is cheap.

Apple PR machine, compliant tech media, and its hoard of Apple fans, will make VR more known to the public. And that alone will be enough for starters.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I think the $3000 price being said is an instigated Apple PR plan. It maybe $2500 and people will say wow that is cheap.

Apple PR machine, compliant tech media, and its hoard of Apple fans, will make VR more known to the public. And that alone will be enough for starters.
Why would they be trying to make VR more known when they are releasing a mixed reality headset?

Also, not everything is a conspiracy.

• Haha

MacDownunder

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
For me I am not interested, but please Apple build the M2 Max / Ultra Studio or jump straight into the M3 for the Studio - that will get me to open my wallet. My 5,1 is at end of road time to move forwards
When similar spec (RAM, SSD) Mini m2 Pro and M1 Max Studio basically cost the same makes no sense to me.....heck even be happy if base studio started $100 more with more cores and M2max/ultra.
And I'm sure more of these would sell than the VR headsets at price points being discussed

Vortex86

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2023
FYI, Meta has quietly pivoted away from VR. Even Meta realizes that the potential for a VR platform is low.
This. Meta (and Apple?) thought VR was going to be the next thing then BAM: ChatGPT and AI made every everyone forget about it. If the rumors about this Apple headset are true, I think it is doomed to fail. A $3000 VR headset? Really? It sounds like executives have lost touch with reality.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
The prototypes are far too slim. If Sony, the kings of product design can’t make the PSVR2 any slimmer then there is no way Apples device is going to be any better.
Where have you seen the prototypes? Surely you aren’t referring to the wild guess renders published on MAC rumors.

• Haha

i_bit_the_apple

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2022
Interestingly you didn't mention Asia (I noticed your username), where in parts they sell women's used undergarments in vending machines. If you're going to list places, seems kinda biased and intentional to leave that out.

You realize that isn't the case right?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
If the price point is indeed $3k, then it automatically becomes a specialty/niche product that will not have sufficient user numbers to drive developer interest that could help bring it mainstream. Not that Apple wouldn’t take a chance with a product at this level, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

I would think that there is a much bigger play in getting augmented reality capable glasses produced, that use the iPhone’s processing power to make them work. Reading about how the headset will allow people to do FaceTime calls using avatars just seems awfully stupid. Our iPhones, iPads and MacBooks all allow us to do FaceTime calls where you are yourself, not some computer generated thing.
So whoever buys it will unknowingly subsidize a radically different VR product (possibly).

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
I'm not sure this is going to take off.
I think it will eventually, it just might take 2-3 iterations. At least part of the product's success (or failure) will be the content third party developers produce for it.

Last edited:

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
WWDC is getting closer everyday! Looking forward to seeing what apple has come up with.

Using iphone history as a guide, perhaps I should buy one, never open it, and in 15 years it can go to auction as a collector's item and reap a 1,000+% return?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.