Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
According to wikipedia, a subsidiary of Microsoft writes the software, but the hardware still comes from this Israeli firm. If this is true, it's a smart move by Apple. Why didn't Microsoft buy PrimeSense?
I'm guessing the one final legal issue that's delaying the deal is working out a license with Microsoft. Why Microsoft didn't buy them I have no idea. They probably thought they had a perpetual license the terms of which are now being tested.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
"Innovation"... nothing worst that moving your hands to change channels. I rather move the finger.

You can already do this on Kinect 2. Apple TV will let you change channels with your mind.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I willing to bet that if Apple does indeed release a TV, it will NOT come with a physical remote like we're used it now.

At least, hopefully not like the nearly useless remote for the Apple TV. Apple's Remote app is the only reasonable way to navigate the Apple TV at this point.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I can see it now... :)

"iMac, Turn On!"

stormtrooper-pelvic-thrust-o.gif

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
That is so unrealistic. The remote is always around.

If you are laying on a side, how are you going to wave your hands?
or if you are with our girlfriend all cuddle... waving your hands sabotages all.
Why waving your hands when you already can move just one finger?

Now, if Apple is into that, I believe they lost the train regarding Apple TV, I do not see innovation anymore that is not out there already.

You just described all the reasons why remotes don't work well. Every time I lay next to my wife, the remote gets lost or out somewhere. We search for it and sometimes give up if we don't find it in 20 seconds.

As far as Apple TV, it's not a failure because it was never even a real product. What Apple calls a "hobby" is really a test to see how well they can work with content providers. Apple TV was all about strengthening relations and locking up deals for content. Combine that with a great display and amazing UI and you have Apple TV worth $2k & $100/month to me.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Well they finally sold it. I'm from Israel and this company had a lot of potential back then when they showed the kinect.
They went for semi conductor way and lost their best client with the kinect 2 so 300+ seems like a good price.
I saw today that Microsoft tried to buy them but they declined.

Apple can do a lot with their technology, can't wait for it.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
That is so unrealistic. The remote is always around.

Exactly. It's always around (hopefully, somewhere around that can be found in less than 1 or 2 minutes), instead of attached to ones arms, and immediately usable without hunting, fishing under the couch, the other chair, hidden inside some magazine, etc.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
No matter how much I try, I still don't "get" the fun of motion sensing games. I hate it because it makes me feel like I'm groaning about "kids these days with their crazy play station TV games" but really I just don't find it very intuitive.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
All the pieces seem to be falling into place for an Apple television, but I just don't see it happening. Apple doesn't have the retail structure to sell TVs....not to mention the fact that selling large televisions is not like selling phones, tablets, and computers. The average consumer won't buy a new tv on the same upgrade cycle as a phone. I think a fully featured set top box seems more logical.

I could see them attacking it from both sides. A cheap set-top box as well as the Apple-branded display. People say that there's no money in a full TV, but I disagree. It could be set apart by gorgeous design, high resolution, motion/voice interface, or even home automation. People quote the 7-year upgrade cycle, but don't forget that in the US, a household may have 2-3 sets. Apple tends to lift the price floors, where they participate.

Regarding retail, I don't think that would be such a big deal. They've stored their Power Mac towers, 27-inch iMacs, and Cinema Displays for years in their Back of House.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Kinect 2 Is Incredible

For those that think this tech is just about "waving your hands in the air", you should really look at this Xbox One Kinect Demo: http://youtu.be/Hi5kMNfgDS4 and then see what Microsoft is doing with fitness.

This is from not only a PS3 owner, but someone with no Microsoft products in my house except for a copy of Windows XP in a VM.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Edit: It appears a moderator removed the controversial posts questioning Israeli companies' viability as business partners.

Seems like a sound piece of business by Apple though, following in the footsteps of the Anobit acquisition.

There's always anti-semitism when Israel is mentioned... nothing new.

TrashCanBin

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Now, if Apple is into that, I believe they lost the train regarding Apple TV, I do not see innovation anymore that is not out there already.

Assuming you know what they are working on, but knowing that you don't (no one knows). You are clueless about what's coming.

And for the record if you are like everybody else then your finger is attached to your hand, reaching for the remote involves moving your hand. So unless your are somekick ass texas ranger and walk with your remote in your pants it's easier to wave your ****ing hand and change the channel than reach for your remote (if you can find it). Also it's a nice exercise for the rotator cuff.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
All the pieces seem to be falling into place for an Apple television, but I just don't see it happening. Apple doesn't have the retail structure to sell TVs....not to mention the fact that selling large televisions is not like selling phones, tablets, and computers. The average consumer won't buy a new tv on the same upgrade cycle as a phone. I think a fully featured set top box seems more logical.

Likewise I can't see how an Apple television set can succeed, but I put it down to price.

You can pick up a top end television (1080p/3D/Smart TV) at 50" for around the £600/£700 mark from the likes of Samsung or LG.

Apple may get away with charging premium for their phones and tablets. However I don't see them coming in below £1000 for even a 42" model and will non Apple consumers realistically consider an Apple television versus the regular competition? I just can't see it.

TrashCanBin

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Likewise I can't see how an Apple television set can succeed, but I put it down to price.

You can pick up a top end television (1080p/3D/Smart TV) at 50" for around the £600/£700 mark from the likes of Samsung or LG.

Apple may get away with charging premium for their phones and tablets. However I don't see them coming in below £1000 for even a 42" model and will non Apple consumers realistically consider an Apple television versus the regular competition? I just can't see it.

Well you should check with the history department about what shouldn't have succeeded then draw conclusions.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Kinect was interested in Apple buying them first

I remember reading an article which said that they inventors of Kinect were interested in selling themselves to Apple but Apple was not interested in them. Then, Microsoft came and bought them. I think that was a mistake on Apple's part.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
While the rumor may be true , speculation of whether Apple would put this technology into an
ITV , gaming device or wearable device is nothing more thAn a guess. It might even wind up in the IPhone. Or maybe Apple bought it just so that Samsung doesn't get hold of it
Anything is possible but Everything is just pure speculation !

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Well you should check with the history department about what shouldn't have succeeded then draw conclusions.

Making a television shiny and putting some aluminium on it isn't going to endear it to consumers. While Apple customers may well flock to it, I just can't see it going mass market in terms of hurting "regular" similar sets by established companies.

Samsung has a smart TV which has hand gesture controls for its menu and an internet connection for Netflix which is built in and I think it's a total gimmick.

I get far more enjoyment from controlling my Sky+ HD box with my iPad and the Sky+ app than waving my hand around in the air and attempting to use voice commands. And if a long time Apple enthusiast can feel that way then the general public sure can too.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I'm guessing the one final legal issue that's delaying the deal is working out a license with Microsoft. Why Microsoft didn't buy them I have no idea. They probably thought they had a perpetual license the terms of which are now being tested.
Apple and MS already have some sort of cross licensing deal, so this tec will probably get included in that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.