Apple Reportedly Set to Acquire Israeli 3D Body Sensing Firm PrimeSense [Updated]

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
poor Apple, the company is no longer innovating and has to purchase third-party technology

the features of Xbox One are more advanced than what Apple could have imagined

even the voice recognition kicks Siri's a.$.$ :rolleyes:

appahappa

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
My Apple TV remote is always lost. It's too damn small. It is time for Apple to do something about it.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I would absolutely not trust this tech given the Israeli's close ties with the NSA. Not only will they be able to listen to your calls and read your emails, now they will also have a camera in your home. No thanks.

When I was a child I read 1984 by George Orwell. I never thought it would actually come true.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
And for the record if you are like everybody else then your finger is attached to your hand, reaching for the remote involves moving your hand. So unless your are somekick ass texas ranger and walk with your remote in your pants it's easier to wave your ****ing hand and change the channel than reach for your remote (if you can find it). Also it's a nice exercise for the rotator cuff.
Can't say I've ever had a problem with using a remote for the TV. If their UI or voice controls are as bad as Siri then they better include a remote as a back up.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
poor Apple, the company is no longer innovating and has to purchase third-party technology

How much of the XBOX One and preceding XBOX's do you think was developed inhouse? Do you really think Apple is the only company licensing and acquiring technology? Do you really think the XBOX voice recognition was developed by MS itself?

Again: ALL major (technology) companies purchase third-party technology: Google, Apple, Microsoft, LG, Samsung, BMW, Mercedes, GE etc etc etc etc.

Not being apologetic for Apple here and it's current apparent stagnation, but it would be nice if people would educate themselves a bit before spewing the above nonsense.

firewood

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Not only will they be able to listen to your calls and read your emails, now they will also have a camera in your home. No thanks.

When I was a child I read 1984 by George Orwell. I never thought it would actually come true.
It's already true for anyone who owns a recent vintage iPhone, iPad or Mac. Who knows what the OS is really doing with that front camera when you're not using it?

I know tin-foil-hat types who cover over the front camera lens on their iPhones with a tiny sticker.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
I know tin-foil-hat types who cover over the front camera lens on their iPhones with a tiny sticker.
The camera should be the least of their problems. The phone could potentially record everything that is said. Covering the camera will not do a lot of good in protecting your privacy in that regard. If they are that paranoid they should get rid of their smartphone altogether.

On average, this is what front camera lenses see in a normal day:
  • the inside of pockets
  • ceilings above desks
  • ears
  • ceilings of cars
What is the point in covering the lens unless you are extremely ugly and do not want the NSA to find out? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
So Snapchat get an offer of $3 Billion, and these guys get $345 Million? What a ****ed up world we live in....
I'd assume that Apple worked harder for their money than Facebook did. If you haven't worked hard for your billions, you don't mind spending a few.

Now consider that Apple and Google, since they are actually writing the operating systems, could quite easily each write an app that implements the Snapchat functionality properly, that is in a way that is guaranteed to work and doesn't fail for all kinds of reasons.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Now consider that Apple and Google, since they are actually writing the operating systems, could quite easily each write an app that implements the Snapchat functionality properly, that is in a way that is guaranteed to work and doesn't fail for all kinds of reasons.
Most of the US$ 3 Billion for Snapchat is for the attached user community that would migrate with it. It's not the functionality only.

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
I would absolutely not trust this tech given the Israeli's close ties with the NSA. Not only will they be able to listen to your calls and read your emails, now they will also have a camera in your home. No thanks.

Shaun, you are acting stupid again. Whatever ties there are between US government and Israel's government, if Apple purchases this company then anything that goes into an iDevice is absolutely 100% under Apple's control. Even if things were hidden in the hardware (which only the most insanely paranoid would think), Apple controls the operating system, and nothing that hardware could do would ever by able to leak out.

If you don't want people to read your emails, use S/MIME with triple wrapping.

----------

Most of the US$ 3 Billion for Snapchat is for the attached user community that would migrate with it. It's not the functionality only.
In other words, _you_ are not the customer. _You_ are the product. Estimated at a value of $3 billion :eek:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Can't say I've ever had a problem with using a remote for the TV. If their UI or voice controls are as bad as Siri then they better include a remote as a back up.
But if done well, a voice-activated remote could be very helpful. Standard remotes are fine for changing channels or paging through channel guides, but they don't work well searching for programs. For example, I'd like to be able to tell the remote to look for a particular movie or football game across all my programming sources at the same time.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
In other words, _you_ are not the customer. _You_ are the product. Estimated at a value of $3 billion :eek:
I agree it seems very high. Especially because the user communities of facebook, snapchat and others will most likely overlap by a very significant amount. It's not a case of tapping into whole new markets and regions.

Compare Instagram and Facebook. Both had extremely overlapping user communities. I wonder how many new accounts Facebook gained by this, as the tech of instagram is not very revolutionary by itself and was copied afterwards by many others.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Yes and no.

I bought a top of the range Samsung TV [Note for the idiots -This is not a random dig at Samsung, just a true story] at the beginning of the year with the same motion gimmicks. The execution of the interface was terrible. So much so in fact, that I returned the set for a more 'simplistic' Panasonic Plasma with 2 remotes...

Build quality aside (which was bad for a high end comparable set), the interface was glitchy and unreliable at the best of times.

Imagine Siri on a bad day (everyday in my case..), not understanding anything you say, needing to shout instructions and then waving your hands around to control it and the wrong things, or nothing happening fast.

I do not doubt that Apple (along with everybody else) will soon release a better user interface experience, where it will be quicker and easier than looking for the remote, but the current offerings are not quite there yet in my mind.

Additionally and in agreement, the intricacy and unreliability of some of the interfaces I have tried to date, are far from disabled friendly.
I just bought a samsung 8000 series TV with motion control.....And the first thing I did when I turned it on was shut motion control off, and disable the camera. I got the TV strictly based on picture quality. And it has one of the best pictures out there (sub 4k). It also has a million bells and whistles I will NEVER use (apps, browser, etc). I buy a TV based on picture quality. That's it. Everything else is a waste of time & space. And when apple comes out with a TV, you better believe it's gonna have a bad a$$ picture. They are not going to put out some gimicky TV with a ton of meaningless features. It's gonna have a beautiful design & a beautiful picture 1st. Don't worry about things like motion control, etc. Because if they do incorporate features like that, they will work unlike anything we are currently used to.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
But you don't need a remote. Finding a remote takes more effort than waving your hand. Although this would prove very inconvenient for the handicapped..
Or, more convenient for the handicapped who struggle with remote controls. There are two sides to every coin. ;)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
And when apple comes out with a TV, you better believe it's gonna have a bad a$$ picture. They are not going to put out some gimicky TV with a ton of meaningless features. It's gonna have a beautiful design & a beautiful picture 1st. D
Because Apple are know for always having excellent screens on their products with no flaws?

Has Apple EVER launched a product in recent years without image faults?
All the years and years of yellow iMac screens.
Blacklight bleeding
Image retention
Yellow or blue to screens (depending on what day of the week it was made!)

We shall see..

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY

If you haven't noticed, they always buy companies, they're always late to new product categories, and they always blow competitors out of the water when they arrive (iPod, iPhone iPad)

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Shaun, you are acting stupid again. Whatever ties there are between US government and Israel's government, if Apple purchases this company then anything that goes into an iDevice is absolutely 100% under Apple's control. Even if things were hidden in the hardware (which only the most insanely paranoid would think), Apple controls the operating system, and nothing that hardware could do would ever by able to leak out.
I think you are being very naive on this issue. Apple has absolutely no control whatsoever over requests from the NSA for data. They can't even disclose that they've received such requests. And we knew nothing about what has been going on for years.

You think the Israeli secret service doesn't embed secret codes into it's companies high tech products so they have a back door into them? Think again my friend.

I don't trust the NSA, I don't trust the US government and I certainly don't trust anything tech related that comes out of Israel. And there is nothing Apple can do to stop it whatever they say in public.

A few weeks ago people like you would have said that I was paranoid about the NSA secretly listening to the phone calls of other world leaders from friendly nations. Given what we know now my statements are neither stupid or paranoid. If you believe otherwise then you're the stupid one here.

----------

It's already true for anyone who owns a recent vintage iPhone, iPad or Mac. Who knows what the OS is really doing with that front camera when you're not using it?

The technology already exists to log into your home wifi and use the camera on your mac to secretly see what's going on in your house. It's not a great leap to believe that the NSA have the capability to tap into this via your network provider. We already know that AT&T has a secret agreement with the NSA.

Believe me this is not paranoia, this is reality. Cloud computing and the always on connected world give the NSA unparalleled access to every aspect of our daily lives.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Give the two females in the image something to eat!
Wow! People need to be educated at early age that to be fat is not ok and it's not health and thought how to live a healthy life. Specially now with Obama care as if there are more obese people insurance rates rise for everybody.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Give the two females in the image something to eat!
Wow. I never had so many responses to a comment here. Too bad they were all negative :)

What I was trying to say is that photoshopping has gone way too far in that image.

Did you really thought these two females are so skinny fo real?

PS: I'm rather skinny myself. :rolleyes:

Veinticinco

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
And Apple makes us lazy.
1. Use the mouse to move around the desktop.
2. No no moving your hand is too much, move your finger across the trackpad.
3. No no no too much, don't get up off the couch and use a remote to access everything with one finger.
Soon™
4. No no no no moving at all is too much, just sit there like a vegetable and think your computer to do things and your thoughts will control the cursor on screen.

Where will it end?

Kid Vorpal

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Am I the only one who saw this story and thought it might be technology they would attempt to integrate into the rumored iWatch (or whatever wearable technology they are working on)? It just seemed like another way they could utilize that device as part of a greater sphere of products (rumored TV, phone, desktop, etc).

Last edited: