Apple Reportedly Set to Acquire Israeli 3D Body Sensing Firm PrimeSense [Updated]

iambasil

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
London, UK
Relating to Apple's business, why do journalists always seem to be so excited to declare the nationality of the company in question when it is Israel vs when it is other countries? It's not only Macrumors, but other US tech bloggers too.

This is a genuine question, I'm not trying to make a point.

I'm in the UK and just wondering whether in the US there is significant interest in Israeli business activity, or whether it is Apple specific - possibly because Apple didn't make any Israeli-based company acquisitions whilst Syrian-born Jobs at the helm? Or something else?

smulji

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Well they finally sold it. I'm from Israel and this company had a lot of potential back then when they showed the kinect.
They went for semi conductor way and lost their best client with the kinect 2 so 300+ seems like a good price.
I saw today that Microsoft tried to buy them but they declined.

Apple can do a lot with their technology, can't wait for it.
So are you saying that Kinect 2 in the Xbox One is not using PrimeSense's technology?

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
This buy may be related to USER IDENTIFICATION. So the iTV knows which member of the family is using it, and can adjust settings, services, content accordingly.

As much as I want to, I really don't see gesturing as being a good way to control anything except a video game.

- A remote with a few buttons, and built in accelerometer/compass may be the way to go. You just flick it around and follow a cursor on the screen like a mouse.

-Or how about a remote with a curved touchscreen, you swipe your finger over it and follow a cursor on the screen. To type, you look down and the remote and use a virtual keyboard. It would use "paper white" low energy screen, and BLE.

Last edited:

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
Today's smart TVs are as smart as the so-called smartphones before the original iPhone. I'm really looking forward to see what Apple has in the store for us.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Relating to Apple's business, why do journalists always seem to be so excited to declare the nationality of the company in question when it is Israel vs when it is other countries? It's not only Macrumors, but other US tech bloggers too.

This is a genuine question, I'm not trying to make a point.

I'm in the UK and just wondering whether in the US there is significant interest in Israeli business activity, or whether it is Apple specific - possibly because Apple didn't make any Israeli-based company acquisitions whilst Syrian-born Jobs at the helm? Or something else?
Perhaps you just notice it more because Israel has a lot of high-tech companies? I haven't seen any bias towards Israel on this matter.

Jobs wasn't born in Syria, he was born in San Francisco. Yes, his biological father was Syrian, but according to his biography Steve wasn't very concerned with Syrian issues. I don't think he ever saw himself as "Syrian", just American.

johnswilson1

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Really?

"Innovation"... nothing worst that moving your hands to change channels. I rather move the finger.
So not only are you assuming how Apple will use the technology, but you're also passing judgment on it even though you have no idea if a) it's true, b) if and how it will be implemented, c) have tried it yourself. Lmao. Scary.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
It actually makes sense for AAPL to give them stock shares, because it will be an incentive for the Kinect programmers and original engineers to stick around for some time under Apple. You do realize that when small companies are acquired, many disgruntled employees leave soon after, right?
And it's often the brightest employees that leave - they want the small company atmosphere/ethics and don't want to just be a cog in a huge machine like Apple. Often the companies are left with the employees they don't want, while the good ones are gone. All they wind up with is the IP and patents.

the8thark

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2011
"Innovation"... nothing worst that moving your hands to change channels. I rather move the finger.
And Apple makes us lazy.
1. Use the mouse to move around the desktop.
2. No no moving your hand is too much, move your finger across the trackpad.
3. No no no too much, don't get up off the couch and use a remote to access everything with one finger.
Soon™
4. No no no no moving at all is too much, just sit there like a vegetable and think your computer to do things and your thoughts will control the cursor on screen.

Where will it end?

farohnatt

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
That is so unrealistic. The remote is always around.

If you are laying on a side, how are you going to wave your hands?
or if you are with our girlfriend all cuddle... waving your hands sabotages all.
Why waving your hands when you already can move just one finger?

Now, if Apple is into that, I believe they lost the train regarding Apple TV, I do not see innovation anymore that is not out there already.

So you always hold the remote in 1 hand while cuddle your girlfriend?? Maybe its not the remote but look like it. :D

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
4. No no no no moving at all is too much, just sit there like a vegetable and think your computer to do things and your thoughts will control the cursor on screen.
Sounds good to me! I'd love to have a hands-off interface. Repetitive Stress Injuries are a real thing. The less I have to move the mouse and click and type all day, the better. We're years off from that though.

As for this company, I don't think Apple has plans for some kind of hand-waving TV remote. Could they be developing a competitor to the Xbox One? That's possible, considering the new game controller API in iOS 7 and iBeacon support. Something that plays games, but also provides a media experience, using iPhones and iPads as controllers and second-screen experiences.

But it's possible this tech could also be used in iOS devices. Didn't Apple file a patent on a screen that doubles as a camera a few years ago? Combine this with PrimeSense's tech, and now the iOS device can see your hands before they touch the screen. This could enable pressure-sensitive touches (by tracking the fingers as they move) and more precise gesture support. Possibly also more performant facial feature recognition, such as eye tracking.

iambasil

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
London, UK
Perhaps you just notice it more because Israel has a lot of high-tech companies? I haven't seen any bias towards Israel on this matter.

Jobs wasn't born in Syria, he was born in San Francisco. Yes, his biological father was Syrian, but according to his biography Steve wasn't very concerned with Syrian issues. I don't think he ever saw himself as "Syrian", just American.
Cheers for the feedback.

I just don't notice the nationality of the company mentioned generally - seemingly unless it's Israel. So I was curious if there was specific interest for any reason (e.g. no mention of British in the story of the Evi acquisition - but all over nationality for this article, Cue, Anobit, Waze - all Israeli).

I actually think it's interesting and relevant, from a global technologist viewpoint at least, to make note of nationality for all such M&A and significant startup news.

I'm not convinced by that biographers understanding or portrayal of Jobs personally (an educated opinion on that)... but that's another matter.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
This is great news for consumers invested in the Apple ecosystem. It helps ensure our team continues to lead the world in terms of innovation and delight.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Then use the damn remote. Simple. People get so locked in like there is only one way to do some thing.
Back in the day, I had to get up and turn something called a "knob." :rolleyes: Then again, I had four choices of channels: ABC, CBS, NBC, and one local (Kansas City) UHF channel. Channel surfing was easy then.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Cheers for the feedback.

I just don't notice the nationality of the company mentioned generally - seemingly unless it's Israel. So I was curious if there was specific interest for any reason (e.g. no mention of British in the story of the Evi acquisition - but all over nationality for this article, Cue, Anobit, Waze - all Israeli).

I actually think it's interesting and relevant, from a global technologist viewpoint at least, to make note of nationality for all such M&A and significant startup news.
It is interesting, and you might have a valid point. I didn't even know Evi was British, but I never saw them market themselves that way. Perhaps there are more Israeli companies that like to put their nationality front-and-center? I can't think of why journalists would specifically single that out.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Too late, Apple: the move-hype is almost over and please don't give me gesture controls for Apple TV, when I can have browsing my tv so much easier with the (Apple) remote (app).

diddl14

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Combined with Apple's silicon know-how, this might be a real (mobile) game changer.

It basically allows to build an iPad/iPhone with 3D gesture based UI. Or maybe can even be embedded in an iWatch. iOS7 gives a glimpse of an immersive UI and clearly that is just the beginning..

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
I'm still wondering why a 30+ year old white yuppie mother is playing a video game. Really trying hard to market that thing as a family/household device aren't they? It couldn't possibly be allowed in the living room unless the wife approves.
Who are you to judge which gender or age group should be able to play video games?

I'm sure there are plenty of women who game or even play games with their kids to bond or help educate.

putongnihongo

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2012
It is interesting, and you might have a valid point. I didn't even know Evi was British, but I never saw them market themselves that way. Perhaps there are more Israeli companies that like to put their nationality front-and-center? I can't think of why journalists would specifically single that out.

It usually doesn't mean much but for Jews like me and Israelis, it's a matter of pride that even surrounded by enemies and terrorists we can still become an innovation center of the world. Technion Institute, the partner for Cornell University in NYC's Roosevelt Island applied science school is at the same level as MIT, Stanford, University of Waterloo when it comes to grooming tech entrepreneurs. At least for my friends that have graduated from Technion that are working at startups or started start ups, promoting their are an Israeli firm is a silent F-U to the anti-Semites, israeli haters, and left wingers that portray terrorists as victims. They like to joke that these posers will protest Israeli Hummus but if they found out Waze and another tech they used is Israeli they go into a state of complete deniability.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
The motion-control thing seems rather faddish if you ask me; imprecise and not inherently intuitive. I would prefer omnipresent voice control a-la Star Trek personally.