Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hex_vision_ipod_nano_watch-250x404.jpg
Japanese blog Mac Otakara points to a pair of reports in today's edition of Taiwanese newspaper Economic Times addressing rumors surrounding Apple's smart watch effort. According to the first report [Google translation], Apple has begun sampling 1.5-inch OLED displays from RITEK subsidiary RiTdisplay.

The report also claims that RITEK's joint venture RitFast will be supplying the touch sensor technology for the watch.

Today's report echoes a December claim about Apple's plans for RiTdisplay's 1.5-inch displays and word that Intel is involved in Apple's effort, but includes a detail indicating that Apple had originally hoped to use a 1.8-inch display in the smart watch. That display, however, proved to be too large and the company shifted to the smaller 1.5-inch display size.

The second report [Google translation] offers an overview of the smart watch industry, with "market rumors" indicating that Foxconn has already received orders for Apple's smart watch. But with order volumes said to be around 1,000 units, the production run would clearly be a small-scale trial.

Rumors of an Apple smart watch ramped up in the months following that December report about Apple and Intel working together, with The New York Times later reporting that Apple was "experimenting" with curved glass smart watch designs and Bloomberg following up to claim that Apple has 100 product designers working on the project.

"iWatch" rumors peaked in February and March of this year amid claims that the device could launch "as soon as this year", but things have been relatively quiet for the past several months.

(Photo: HEX Vision Metal Watchband for iPod nano (6th Gen.))

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Testing 1.5-Inch OLED Displays for Smart Watch

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I'd be game for one of these things, for sure. :) The iPod-Nano-As-A-Watch idea is pretty cool, but if this device syncs via Bluetooth to elegantly display alerts from your iPhone, I'd be all in.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
This will revolutionize watches, again, since the pocket watch. Amazing. Can't wait.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I can't see these being successful beyond the "geek" community. I would never wear one.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's too bad they're looking at something so big. A watch that big isn't going to appeal to everyone so it'd be nice to see another size.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
What is it expected to actually do? Just be the old Nano with a wrist strap? Too small to surf the net. Not a phone. Too small for real apps. Wouldn't want to run headphone speakers from my wrist.

I don't get it. And as my sig points out, I'm usually in for any new Apple gadget. I can't think of an Apple Gadget I've skipped since Newton, but this seems pointless.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Just today i was contemplating on how annoying the excuse of ''my phone was far , i couldnt hear it'' excuse !!

This is actually a very good idea and will definitely increase some peoples productivity

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I can't see these being successful beyond the "geek" community. I would never wear one.

It's too bad they're looking at something so big. A watch that big isn't going to appeal to everyone so it'd be nice to see another size.

What is it expected to actually do? Just be the old Nano with a wrist strap? Too small to surf the net. Not a phone. Too small for real apps. Wouldn't want to run headphone speakers from my wrist.

I don't get it. And as my sig points out, I'm usually in for any new Apple gadget. I can't think of an Apple Gadget I've skipped since Newton, but this seems pointless.

I agree with all of these. A watch is a fashion statement, and all of these "smart" watches are hideous...plus I don't really know what value it would add to productivity.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
My god, these things are ugly, imho. I think I'd have to kick my own a$$ if I ever caught myself wearing one. Might as well get a calculator watch from the 80's while you're at it. I've bought heavily into the iPhones, iPads and iPods, but sorry, but I'll pass this time, Apple. But if other people like are interested in them, then all the more power to them. I'm sure people will buy them, and a lot of people will like them. To each their own. Just not for me.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My god, these things are ugly, imho. I think I'd have to kick my own a$$ if I ever caught myself wearing one. Might as well get a calculator watch from the 80's while you're at it. I've bought heavily into the iPhones, iPads and iPods, but sorry, but I'll pass this time, Apple. But if other people like are interested in them, then all the more power to them. I'm sure people will buy them, and a lot of people will like them. To each their own. Just not for me.

I'll admit, after seeing the Pebble in person, they did nail it just enough to make it look classy without being gaudy. Though a pebble serves little purpose for me, Apple should follow suit.

yano729

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
These watches better be cheap. Like around 100 dollars cheap. Watches are fashion statements. There is no chance in hell I would switch out my nicer watches for some digital watch that tells me I have a text message.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009

I think if done right, They can be essential in the business community as well.

As Siri gets better, these things will take off.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
We don't even know what it will look like so how can people say they won't wear it or it looks too big lol

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I have a feeling that whilst this will be a 'success' (in the sense that the Apple TV is a success, but maybe not a massive success, ala iPhone) that it'll become pretty much obsolete pretty quickly.

Everyone is working on 'hands free' devices, and whilst a watch does kinda fall in the same category, when you've got the likes of projects like Google Glass, it makes you wonder why (other than potentially for running/exercising) a watch is a better option.

Really wish Apple were working on a set of glasses with HUD, its certainly got the potential to be an amazing, and very futuristic device if done right.

Maybe its just me, I just dont seem to be able to get all that excited about what as far as I can tell, will essentially be a Nano sized iPod Touch strapped to your wrist that makes heavy use of bluetooth.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
New rumor: Apple to develop an iPocket Protector to pair with it's new iWatch.

Seriously, I stopped wearing wrist watches about 30 years ago.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
This is a non-starter for me. I wear a WATCH. An automatic self-winding no-batteries WATCH! It's a timepiece. That's all I want from it. I don't want to read my email. I don't want to receive notifications. I don't want to put a battery into a watch. I DAMNED SURE don't want to have to recharge it every day or so.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
lets be honest, no one wears a watch to actually "use it" its a fashion statement so hublot or smartwatch? rolex or smartwatch? hmmmm

only really makes sense as gym accessoires but nike covers that. needs to be < 99 bucks

I think if done right, They can be essential in the business community as well.

As Siri gets better, these things will take off.

sorry but i cant picture a guy in a suit wearing a smartwatch lol

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
I'm loving my Pebble. I enjoy wearing a watch again. The text and phone notifications on my wrist are great. I'm eager to use RunKeeper to track run, hike and bike GPS data without pulling out my phone. Apple will take this niche to a new level and surprise many naysayers. Mark my word.

Also, I don't need James Bond's watch to impress people. I'm comfortable with an elegant nerdy timepiece.

kaess

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
I feel like everyone is automatically assuming that the iWatch is going to be an ipod nano worn on your wrist. I think it's going to be much more like the Nike Fuelband, so it will resemble a wristband more than a traditional watch. The Nike Fuelband is very low profile and not nearly as bulky as an ipod nano-esque watch. Also, Tim Cook is known to wear a Fuelband and is a member of the Nike BOD, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see its influence in the iWatch design. Additionally, one of the only built-in apps for the ipod nano is Nike+, which really speaks to Apple's deep ties with Nike. I wouldn't be surprised if the iWatch has Nike Fuelband capabilities built-in.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I agree with all of these. A watch is a fashion statement, and all of these "smart" watches are hideous...plus I don't really know what value it would add to productivity.

Step 1: Assume "iWatch" will be hideous and useless.
Step 2: Dismiss "iWatch" because it will be hideous and useless.

:D

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Well, the 1.5" display converts to ~38mm, and most current watch designs have bezels in the 40-45mm area, and that's not silly big "fashion" watches, I'm talking smart, modern watches from notable manufacturers.

That's probably a good compromise between usability/screen size and wearability, though I agree, for smaller framed people, women, etc., it might look a touch large.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007

These watches better be cheap. Like around 100 dollars cheap. Watches are fashion statements. There is no chance in hell I would switch out my nicer watches for some digital watch that tells me I have a text message.

This line of conversation sounds familiar... iPhone, iPad anyone?

Lets reload this thread in a year or two, when you all own one of these (yet to be released) puppies. And you'll pay a pretty penny for one two.

My money says gangbusters!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.