Apple Reportedly Using Chinese Server Supplier to Migrate iCloud Service

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple is reportedly working with China-based server vendor Inspur to help transfer its iCloud data services in-house, according to sources out of the China supply chain (via DigiTimes).

Currently Apple is thought to rely heavily on Amazon Web Services (AWS) to host many of its cloud server requirements, but the company's data center plans suggest it is looking to scale back the money it spends on third-party cloud computing platforms as its data demands increase.

Inspur currently has a share of over 60 percent of China's internet server market, and has previously agreed partnerships with Microsoft, Intel, IBM, and other technology companies looking to expand their server capacity. Inspur already has facilities close to Apple's headquarters in California that include an R&D team as well as a production center.

Neither Apple nor Inspur have confirmed the rumor, but sources within the supply chain quoted by Taiwan-based website DigiTimes have proven reliable in the past.

Last month, Apple signed a deal with Google worth between $400 million and $600 million that will see the Google Cloud Platform providing some of the cloud infrastructure for iCloud and other cloud-based Apple services.

Apple has never confirmed the cloud services that power iCloud, but past rumors have pointed towards AWS and Microsoft Azure, suggesting Apple will continue using multiple services to meet its needs until its own data centers are all fully operational.

Apple is currently building new data centers in Ireland, Denmark, Reno, and Arizona, and is expanding its existing data center in Prineville, Oregon.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Using Chinese Server Supplier to Migrate iCloud Service

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

When all those data centers are done, will that be enough capacity to provide full in-house cloud services?

3. harveyburger54 macrumors newbie

I guess this may bring added security and reduced costs? Winners all round (except those who had the custom of hosting their services before)

4. TheHorrorNerd macrumors regular

Man, even digital storage is dirt cheap in China...

5. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Well say bye bye to privacy and security then.

6. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

Whenever I read about something being "Fully operational" I cannot help but think of the Deathstar!

7. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Was wondering how long it would take……..

8. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

Yeah, hopefully they'll remember to guard the exhaust ports.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Or make sure that the shield generator on Endor's forest moon isn't taken down by a few teddy bears.

10. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

Yeah, they should only deal with the US, as the US government has no interest in hacking its citizens' personal data.

Oh, wait.

Edit: Applies to the UK government too, sadly.

11. joueboy macrumors 6502a

Apple is more secure then ever. Wait until Cook do his keynote and convince us that this is the best move they could ever done. Then everybody will be clapping!

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Since china couldn't invent a damn thing they had to buy into/ask for tech transfers and then this! No nation could do this in 4 decades, it took the United Stats to build it as no one else could and the U.S gave them the Panama Cannel for free worth 5 Trillion U.S and everyone is up their ass! Servers in the U.S! I wonder why, to spy wake up! I will not be using iCloud any more!

13. samcraig macrumors P6

14. bdhokie macrumors member

I supported Apple's efforts to protect privacy in the FBI case until now. Total, complete fail Apple. Using a Chinese vendor for cloud services? If true, you have lost all credibility in your claim you care about privacy.

There is zero chance a Chinese vendor isn't, eventually, going to be subject to the whims of the Chinese government. Tim Cook - you are a fraud ( if this is true).

Seriously - Apple couldn't find an American company? How about Canadian? British... ??

15. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Might just be me, but often when I see your posts for a maybe split second at least words like, racist and bigot pop into my head. Anyhow, that’s just my opinion.
    Wikipedia has a different view of things, (below is a small snippet);
    China has been the source of many innovations, scientificdiscoveries and inventions.[1] This includes the Four Great Inventions: papermaking, the compass, gunpowder, and printing (both woodblock and movable type). The list below contains these and other inventions in China attested by archaeology or history.

For ease, I’ve included a hyperlink for you HERE.

16. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

Lol, if they fail to prevent infiltration by teddy bear, I'm moving to android.

17. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

It was, is and always will be about money. Your money is the same colour as my money even if our views differ wildly, (which isn’t to say that they do or don’t).

18. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If we're keeping the Star Wars theme, I'm not sure Android would be much better ;)

[​IMG]

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You do realize the US's space program succeeded in the 50s and 60s in large part because of German scientists they came here after the war, or the guns that protect our freedom are here because of the Chinese inventing gun powder.

While the US has created many great wonders, and invented a lot of awesome technology, China has a history that spans millennia and it includes great achievements that are not easily swept under the rug.

20. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

The U.S. has been a lot like Steve Jobs, hasn't it? It's taken the discoveries and inventions of others, modifying and improving them to suit its needs. In a similar way, Bach, Mozart and Beethoven didn't invent music, but found a way to use musical concepts to take that art to the next level. Maybe that's what genius is, the synthesis of known ideas into something new and transformational.

21. The Martian, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

The Martian macrumors regular

The Martian

It's not like the NSA isn't capturing all the data traffic in the US! ;)

22. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

correct me if I am wrong but even if one shuts off iCloud backups Apple saves the last one on their server? They never erase them.

23. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I know that china has a long history of militancy and a recent history of mass murder western governments and corporations supported. The point i'm making that you have not seen it that one never puts it's hands and assets in the hand of a historically totalitarian government. If it were not for tech transfers/wall street money from the U.S the Nazis never would gained such a war footing on that scale. What has china invented, that matters to this nations security?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2016 ---
    They are.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2016 ---
    Many scientist from Eourpe migrated to the U.S

24. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

If I were Apple I would use the recent amicus briefs as a supplier resume service to determine which vendors are the most privacy friendly. It was an unusual moment of re-clarifying American values based on a few silly pieces of paper called the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Rocketman

G*d bless America.

25. Sleepwalker71 macrumors member