Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Airpods Pro "Lite"? Isn't that product already available, called Airpods 2, with or without charging case?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Judging by how many people care more about the money than they do about the ANC, it makes complete sense to me that Apple would consider offering a cheaper version of the the same Pro design but without the ANC.
The name is probably just a guess.
Airpods Pro (In ear design) Lite (No ANC, and consequently cheaper)

Last edited:

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
Humoring the idea that this rumor is real:

Unless these supposed AirPods Pro Lite is a replacement to the AirPods 2, then I think Apple would be clearly over-saturating their offerings in this category. I think AirPods 2 offer a different function to the AirPods Pro, being as they are more convenient, so I don't think -- and would hope not -- that Apple would retire the normal AirPods design.

GregJohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2015
Saskatoon, SK
The only thing from this I could see is the iPads not coming out until October - or so. Since they will have some iPhone 12 features and probably a 5g version, I don’t see them coming out next month.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
How come no ‘iMac’ tag on this article, MacRumors?

I was even wondering why no mention of iMac in the title. I almost scrolled by until I noticed it in the body. I’m more interested in hearing about that than the AirPods.

But, I guess it is a sign of the times.. especially when AirPods (or wearables?) are generating more revenue for Apple than Macs.

Reactions: orbital~debris

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Would be awesome if the Lite version was more of a bud without those awful legs sticking out. The latest airpods are such a huge improvement with not falling out anymore and the noise cancellation but I can't stand the design and the way they stick out.

siger10k

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2019
how about they fix ANC that 2C54 destroyed. Went to Apple yesterday, will get a replacement pair this week. Their iPad didn't even recognize the firmware...

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
This could fit in the lineup as an AirPods Pro model with superior sound quality and no ANC for $199.

That sounds right but the sound quality would probably be the same or lower if its a light version and maybe they eliminate regular air pods or lower the pricing on them.

RenoDavid

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2007
Here’s my thoughts for a possible lineup: Regular AirPods (only one model) for $130, AirPods Pro Lite (no noise canceling) for $180 and AirPods Pro for $250.
The original design is a mature product so I could see them lowering the cost and making them more of the lost-cost entry into the product lineup. The "Lite” would be for people that don’t care about the ANC but prefer the in-ear design of the AirPods Pro. I’m pretty sure there would be a HUGE market for these.

Reactions: PeteLP

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Here’s my thoughts for a possible lineup: Regular AirPods (only one model) for $130, AirPods Pro Lite (no noise canceling) for $180 and AirPods Pro for $250.
The original design is a mature product so I could see them lowering the cost and making them more of the lost-cost entry into the product lineup. The "Lite” would be for people that don’t care about the ANC but prefer the in-ear design of the AirPods Pro. I’m pretty sure there would be a HUGE market for these.

I could see the same thing, but imagine the pricing would more likely be something like $150, $200, $250.

Reactions: RenoDavid

RenoDavid

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2007
[automerge]1581538157[/automerge]
I could see the same thing, but imagine the pricing would more likely be something like $150, $200, $250.
Very possible. We all see how Apple tries not to lower prices. I’m curious what the return rate is for the regular AirPods from people unhappy with the one-size-fits-all design, and if more people report a better (or worse) experience with the in-ear design of the Pros. That’s going to determine where the product line goes.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I wish Apple would make a WIRED version (lighting cable?) of the AirPod Pro (called EarPod Pros). Seems like a no brainer to make.
This is exactly what I want too, especially over the ears.
[automerge]1581538724[/automerge]
Apple, or someone else, needs to come up with noise cancelling headphones/earphones which are comfortable to wear while sleeping. Huge market opportunity here!
Anti Snore ZZZ Max Pro

SnowWhiteLovesApple

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2020
I wish Iphones still had aux port instead of making wireless earpods. It really feels like a money grab. Like hey we changed this product so you HAVE to buy our new earbuds. They look so stupid, theyre overpriced and they really dont do anything special. Googles Babel earbuds are really cool, they translate real time in a multitude of languages.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
I just want apple bluetooth iem's with in-ear rubber tips that don't cost $250. I don't care about all the other noise canceling stuff.

Slap some tips on the $130-$150 models and let's call it a day.

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
Well, I guess if this is true - doubtful - then it's better than another iteration of poop emojis.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
If this is legitmate, pro design will probably replace the standard design with limited features. And I’m willing to bet pro lite is just the concept name. Of course we all thought the name iPad sounded ridiculous, but against all odds, we actually did survive.

I completely agree. They're probably calling it Pro Lite as a code name (or as a name thought up by the leaker) simply because its physical design is based on the pro design. I very much doubt apple will be calling it a pro lite. And naming plans are the least reliable part of most of these rumors.

I also feel the next version of standard airpods would greatly benefit from such a design change, which without the advanced electronics, would very likely be priced just as the standard airpods are today. IMHO its exactly what apple SHOULD be doing

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Tim continues the SKU-fest carnival of cash

Hopefully they do not go away from the generation one and two style though.
Some of us really don’t like in ear feeling/experience.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
An industry observer picked a name for a rumored unannounced product that he doesn’t approve of, so he’s blaming Apple for it.

In reality it’ll probably be something that arrives as a replacement for the AirPods, and they’ll call them, “AirPods”.
Normally, I'd agree ... but that would have been pre-"iPhone 11 Pro Max" era ...

puggsly

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2003
San Diego
Hopefully this ill named rumor will simply be Apple reducing the entire product line price to maintain it's dominate position in this space. This is a historical problem for Apple as they tend to avoid product discounts to maintain premium status. The problem is I don't see many more key updates to this line and they didn't take the opportunity to reduce the price of the AirPods when the Pro's came out. So maybe you remove the wireless charging and reduce prices to $199?
Unless Apple has something amazing up it's sleeve it has one more good year of sales on this product and then it will start to fall off if it can't figure out a way to move price points closer to $99 and $199 with discounts into the 79 and 169 ranges. IMHO.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
its a mistranslation. Should be AirPods Pro Light. Its a new accessory for the AirPods Pro that adds powerful flashlights to each earpiece. No doubt @AngerDanger can put together a mock-up for us.
From what I can tell, they look nearly identical to OG AirPods.

AirPods-Lite-2.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.