Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors that Apple intends to launch a new Apple TV have been around for some time, with the headlining feature being a more powerful processor for gaming and all-round performance benefits. However, alongside a new powerful chip, new evidence is pointing towards a possible new Apple TV remote also shipping alongside the TV set-top box.

apple-tv-remote-2.jpg

According to a report from 9to5Mac, citing people familiar with Apple's plans, the company has been developing a new Apple TV remote under the codename "B519," which differs from the current "B439" codename for the existing remote. Specifics on what to expect from the new remote aren't provided; however, 9to5Mac believes the changes will be "significant."

The last time Apple updated the remote was with the Apple TV 4K in 2017, when the company added a white border around the Menu button. However, the remote has remained unchanged since, while its slimline design and lack of physical navigation buttons continues to divide users.

MacRumors recently discovered that within the tvOS 14.5 beta, Apple has renamed the remote from "Siri Remote" to "Apple TV Remote" in multiple instances across the system. The system-wide change in wording could indicate that the new remote will have less of a focus on Siri and instead be designed around more traditional content navigation and other TV functionality.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Working on Redesigned Apple TV Remote

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I don’t understand why anyone even uses the remote. Not becuse it’s bad but because your phone is almost always at hand, not lost down the back of the sofa and just seems like an easier alternative.
I haven’t seen my Apple TV remote in a few months. I have 2 children under the age of 5 so it regularly goes missing in my house. I’ve had to recommission my iPhone SE as an Apple TV remote for the family to use.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
According to a report from 9to5mac, citing people familiar with Apple's plans, the company has been developing a new Apple TV remote under the codename "B519," which differs from the current "B439" codename for the existing remote. Specifics on what to expect from the new remote aren't provided; however, 9to5mac believes the changes will be "significant."
I think the minimum we can all expect the new remote to be is to not be utter dog poo. That would be a start. This did seem to personify exactly what Apple is often accused of, that they put form over function. I'm sure this remote was a great idea in an R&D lab.

Why not say it like it is? The current remote has been universally panned since its launch.

Well, maybe 10 minutes after its launch when the first reviewer lost it down the back of their sofa or tried to use it in the dark and it was upside down.

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I don’t understand why anyone even uses the remote. Not becuse it’s bad but because your phone is almost always at hand, not lost down the back of the sofa and just seems like an easier alternative.

One reason: volume control. With the Siri remote, you can be certain to have control of the TV volume. With the app, the hardware buttons only work in some instances.

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I haven’t seen my Apple TV remote in a few months. I have 2 children under the age of 5 so it regularly goes missing in my house. I’ve had to recommission my iPhone SE as an Apple TV remote for the family to use.

I can relate! Ours went M.I.A. for a month or so, only to turn up at the very bottom of a box of Duplo.

‘Find My’ functionality is a must for the new version. (Hopefully better than the weak squeak of a lost Sky Q remote, too…)

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Four years too late Apple. I was gifted a new Google TV chromecast recently, and the little remote is practical and easy to use (if a little small and slippery, but the kids love it especially the dedicated Netflix and YT buttons). Bonus is the Google UX is intuitive well organised and has every streaming app, including Disney+ and even Apple TV+ now.

Juicy Box

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
At least for me, the Remote app on the iPhone takes most of the bad stuff about the Siri Remote such as lack of physical buttons, a sudo D-Pad, no mute, and then double downs on it with no physical buttons, no D-pad, and no volume buttons.

Basically making the experience on the Remote app much worse than so-so experience with the Siri Remote.

Plus.......
your phone is almost always at hand
Mine is not.

When I am home, I hardly touch my iPhone. At home, I much rather use a Mac or ATV for anything I would normally do with an iPhone while not at home.

Last edited:

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
mines awful. It often gets massive delay on swiping-> cursor movement. Its so frustrating.
Using a phone isn't the right solution here. I dont want to be unlocking or swiping to get the interface - its more efficient to just grab a dedicated device and hit the button. even 'hey siri pause tv' isn't appropriate. it takes longer and isn't always guaranteed to work.
We need a remote with a mute button, better cursor control and capability to accept control from other remotes via BT or IR. IT's time ATV grew up and tried to be a more compatible and less 'quirky' device

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
I really don't get the hate for the remote at all - we have 4 apple TVs in the house all with the touch remote and everyone uses them without any problem at all (including a tech-averse wife and our 6yr old) and for most of those rooms they have become the primary remote that is used. The remote is possibly the simplest piece of 'just works' tech that I have seen in a long while.

stuartfuk

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
I don't mind the current remote.

The side swipe to scroll on the trackpad is hugely beneficial over button up/down presses in a large library

I do find the side to side swipe will jump back into the side bar or the side scroll far too easily. The pad should be made wider for use with adult sized fingers. Or be more smart about diagonal swipes probably meaning up/down

I use the SIRI option all the time so I hope they don't remove it

Biggest pain for me. It occasionally falls through the centre join in my sofa

Putzytart

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2014
It's my biggest gripe with Apple TV. I HATE that remote. Especially given I regularly use my nice sky remote and TV remote and then have to pick this thing up. PHYSICAL RUBBER BUTTONS APPLE YOU HEAR ME. Up, down, left, right. Play/pause, fast forward and rewind. Back, Home, TV, settings and Siri. Bare essentials.

I mean - my TV remote has buttons for Netflix and YouTube (And a million other shortcut buttons). You know how many touch swipes it takes me to get to Netflix or YouTube on Apple TV? MANY. And swiping is horrible! And make it chunky. It doesn't live in my back pocket. It's not an iPod nano. It's a TV remote FFS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.