Apple Reportedly Working on Tile-Like Item Tracker Plus Merged 'Find My iPhone' and 'Find My Friends' App

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 17, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is developing a new app that combines Find My iPhone and Find My Friends into a single package, according to 9to5Mac's Guilherme Rambo. The report cites sources familiar with ongoing testing of the app.

[​IMG]

In addition to existing Find My iPhone features like Lost Mode and the ability to remotely erase a device, the report claims the new unified app includes a new "find network" feature that allows Apple devices to be tracked even when they are not connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.

The app would also incorporate existing Find My Friends features, including location sharing and location-based notifications from friends and family.

The report claims the app will be available on both iOS and macOS as part of Apple's so-called "Marzipan" cross-platform initiative. The app could presumably debut in iOS 13, which will be previewed at WWDC in June, but no timeframe is provided. It is allegedly codenamed "GreenTorch" internally.

Tile-like product tracker

Rambo also reports that Apple is working on a new hardware product in the form of a "tag" that can be attached to any item, similar to Tile. The tag would be paired to a user's iCloud account and rely on proximity to an iPhone.

Like the Tile, users would be able to receive notifications when their device gets too far away from the tag. To avoid false triggers, it would be possible to set a list of common locations to be ignored like a work office so that the item can be left at those locations without the user being notified.

The report adds that users will also be able to store their contact information in the tag and receive a notification when it is found. Apple may leverage its hundreds of millions of active devices to create a crowdsourced network that helps its users find any lost item in tandem with this product.

No release timeframe was provided for Apple's product tracker, but perhaps it will show up alongside new iPhones in September.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Working on Tile-Like Item Tracker Plus Merged 'Find My iPhone' and 'Find My Friends' App

2. bigboyz12000 macrumors member

bigboyz12000

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Better a dog tag than a dog chain, as @AngerDanger will attest.

4. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

That's cool. My wife and I use the hell out of Tiles for car keys, motorcycle keys, etc.

5. Riberyknuckles macrumors newbie

Riberyknuckles

Wish it could just be an iPod Shuffle with GPS

6. AngerDanger, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I just thought of a really clever way Apple could give their new tags an iconic yet subtle design while clearing out some of their HomePod stock…

[​IMG]

Au contraire, Mr. Anxiety; the others and I love our chains! We only ask that, perhaps if your benevolence finds it appropriate, the chains be extended from a generous two meters to… say, two-and-a-half? Please? Eye Twitch Crazy Smile Emoji.gif

7. nims macrumors newbie

Will I be paid by apple for using my phone as a tool for others to locate their items? I think I have a case

8. acorntoy macrumors 65816

I fear it might be well too late though. The only problem i've heard about tiles after using them since launch is non replaceable batteries which they just fixed. I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay Apple $50 for the same thing :confused:

Tile's privacy policy is a bit iffy though, would feel better about Apple knowing all that location data instead.

9. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

Why doesn't Apple do what they usually do? Buy out the company, (tile) rebrand and stick 40% on top for the new price?

10. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Looks interesting, don’t think I will have any use for it.

11. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

Ha! But I suspect that you'll have the option of opting out of it. Of course, that will also mean you can't avail yourself of the benefits either.

12. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Merging the two apps makes sense. I like the tile idea, especially with privacy, not sure what I'd use it for - but its cool tech, so yes.

13. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

14. walnuts macrumors 6502a

I’ve been hoping (and submitted a useless feature request) that the Apple Watch could send a notification when it disconnects from its iPhone when its not on its home or work network.

15. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Hey Siri find my friends.

You don’t have any friends.

....hey siri find me some friends

16. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

What, again?! I just increased it from a meter and a half last year.

Plus you're slacking on your GIFs. The chain's long enough to reach both the computer and the poop-pan, so you have no excuse this time.

17. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Tile has replaceable batteries now. Much better.

18. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Hopefully the battery on these things are replaceable, but knowing Apple as of late, they'll probably mail them to us as a subscription service.

19. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

that would be great, especially if they would be gps enabled, as opposed to they way tiles work.

20. acorntoy macrumors 65816

Yeah I know, I was saying I am not sure Apple would be able to disrupt a company that has almost perfected their product at this point.

21. themachugger macrumors member

Guys... come on. Be different than every other rumors/news/blog site these days and take a minute to check spelling and grammar. Not doing so makes understanding the headline more difficult (I had to read it 3 times to figure out what you were trying to say). Then, right in the very first sentence: "Apple is a developing..." Get rid of the "a." I didn't read the rest.

22. cmaier macrumors G5

Given that my kid is always misplacing stuff, looking forward to this. Hopefully the tags don’t cost too much.

23. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Alright! Now I will only have 446 apps instead of 447 on my iPhone. Crisis averted.

24. cmaier macrumors G5

“These computer guys aren’t going to walk in here and...”

Didn’t people think blackberry was perfect?

25. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Apple Tags -- coming soon to an Apple Store near you for $19 each or a pack of four for $69.