Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
When the watch is out of distance from an iphone a red phone with cross through it appears on the watch

I’m not getting this after manually disconnecting from Bluetooth. Wonder if it’s because I’m going into cellular mode. Also as mentioned, an alert would be nice. Wrist tap and/or ding to let you know before it’s too late.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Those Tile devices need to use GPS not Bluetooth. I went hiking in Canada and lost the keys to the rental car luckily someone picked them up and placed them on a tree stump (the hiking community is just awesome) otherwise we were screwed but afterwards I looked at getting some Tile squares but they only use Bluetooth and only responds when you're close to the tile.

Would them using GPS make them dangerous as tracking devices? Imagine if I could just slip one into someone else’s bag and know where they are at all times.

I think the idea behind the tile tag is to easily find items that you tend to misplace, but are still within general vicinity of yourself.

Reactions: Intellectua1

Intellectua1

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Seattle, Washington
Would them using GPS make them dangerous as tracking devices? Imagine if I could just slip one into someone else’s bag and know where they are at all times.

I think the idea behind the tile tag is to easily find items that you tend to misplace, but are still within general vicinity of yourself.
Makes total sense, I didn't think about how someone could use a GPS version for malicious reason. The world we live in huh...

drumcat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Those Tile devices need to use GPS not Bluetooth. I went hiking in Canada and lost the keys to the rental car luckily someone picked them up and placed them on a tree stump (the hiking community is just awesome) otherwise we were screwed but afterwards I looked at getting some Tile squares but they only use Bluetooth and only responds when you're close to the tile.

So GPS also requires at least 2g/3g connectivity, as while bluetooth is a comm line, GPS is just mathematics. Needless to say, the power requirements differ.

sirwoodland

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
Yeah I know, I was saying I am not sure Apple would be able to disrupt a company that has almost perfected their product at this point.

Tile's product is limited by adoption in its current form though -- the true opportunity is in the network effect of broad adoption to be able to find anything, anywhere, via a connected network of devices and Apple has the potential for that in iOS. Last I heard Tile was trying to integrate their tech into other devices, but just laid off 30 people last December due to disappointing holiday sales.

aluminiumj

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Tile's product is limited by adoption in its current form though -- the true opportunity is in the network effect of broad adoption to be able to find anything, anywhere, via a connected network of devices and Apple has the potential for that in iOS. Last I heard Tile was trying to integrate their tech into other devices, but just laid off 30 people last December due to disappointing holiday sales.

That was January 2018 but they've made strides since. Bose added Tile to the Soundsport Wireless headphones and Comcast invested into Tile to put their tech into Xfinity boxes which could really add to that network...

I hate to see little guys get squashed by the giants, hopefully they get a buy out or someone comes to the rescue.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68030
Jul 10, 2012
Sent a suggestion asking that Apple consider merging Maps, FindFriends, FindiPhone a few years ago to Apple management. I'm glad we will get 2 out of 3, LoL ...

Now I hope that, since I can't keep Air Pods from slipping out of my ears and have to use BeatsX, that Apple with stop treating the BeatsX like the poor cousin of the AirPods, as both have the W1 chip.
[doublepost=1555730515][/doublepost]
Yeah I know, I was saying I am not sure Apple would be able to disrupt a company that has almost perfected their product at this point.

Tile has always had replaceable batteries. You just had to pry open the case, break the spot-weld between terminal and battery and then tape the case back together. Works quite fine if you are not hanging a tile on your key-ring (works, but looks crap with the taped together case.)

Reactions: BuddyTronic

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It's the same story as with Pebble all over again. Compare what an Apple Watch can do compared to the pebble watch and it almost feels like cheating, and that's simply the reality when Apple controls both the hardware and the software while Pebble doesn't.

Tile might have a rather polished product, but the reality is that there is only so much the Tile can do when its company doesn't have system-level access to iOS the same way that Apple does. Apple has the W-series chip and the experience with miniaturising parts, and I won't be surprised if their own version of the tile tracker even runs its own modified OS to allow you to do stuff a normal Tile can't do.

And Apple will be able to market it in their own Apple Stores as well, plus all the free advertising from media coverage.

Even if it does cost more, that will be because it will also do more, and do it better, and people will still buy it.

Reactions: BuddyTronic

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I would actually rather see Apple invest their resources into a mesh networking technology similar to GoTenna Mesh, rather than a Tile like tracking device, since the mesh networking improves with more users in your area. I think Apple entering the market would increase user numbers.

drumcat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
I just want an option for my Apple Watch to alert me when I leave BT range, why is this not a feature?

Much more than the passive icon. No one likes forgetting their phone.
[doublepost=1555801703][/doublepost]
Tile has always had replaceable batteries. You just had to pry open the case, break the spot-weld between terminal and battery and then tape the case back together. Works quite fine if you are not hanging a tile on your key-ring (works, but looks crap with the taped together case.)

I am aware. I'm sure most consumers took that option... /s

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Why doesn't Apple do what they usually do? Buy out the company, (tile) rebrand and stick 40% on top for the new price?

One problem with that: Tile just came out with user replaceable batteries. Heaven forbid Apple ever go back to that business model. Instead they would obsess over making it as thin as a sheet of paper.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
Well... this did not come to fruition. The apps merged, but no tags for keys or wallet. :(

I am aware that Tile offers this, however, the Apple user base is many times larger and I would purchase "Apple Tags" if it meant I had a larger pool of people "searching" for my lost item(s).

Maybe during their hardware keynote in the Fall.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Well... this did not come to fruition. The apps merged, but no tags for keys or wallet. :(

I am aware that Tile offers this, however, the Apple user base is many times larger and I would purchase "Apple Tags" if it meant I had a larger pool of people "searching" for my lost item(s).

As much as I would love Apple designed tracking device (Tile Pro is pretty ugly), I would be totally fine with Apple opening up the API for companies like Tile.

iAVERY

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016

They just need to buy tile.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
What we saw happen was Apple releasing a Tile-Like service for misplaced MacBook's. This doesn't mean Apple wont release something similar in the future, its just where they are starting.

For the time-being, Tile's are great, especially now that you can change the battery in some models DIY. What is funny to me is I bought the whole family Tiles at Christmas in 2017. In 2017 we had many instances of lost keys and wallets, all recovered in tact but it made me seek out Tile. So here we are mid 2019 and no one has lost anything yet, lol.

Chris Herron

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2020
Just another moneymaker for apples ecosystem they will probably also make people upgrade this like they do their iPhones and Apple watches just so Apple can keep the most up-to-date devices out being used by everyone

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Just another moneymaker for apples ecosystem they will probably also make people upgrade this like they do their iPhones and Apple watches just so Apple can keep the most up-to-date devices out being used by everyone
Correct. Apple is a business. Their main goal is to make as much money as possible. What’s the issue? If you don’t need or want them, don’t buy. I’m personally looking forward to them and buy all their new stuff. That’s why I make money. To spend it on things I need or want. Weird how the economy works, eh?

Reactions: gavroche
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.