Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulRustad007

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
It makes sense (to me) that they sold less that the previous year.

The previous year many many upgraded to the larger phone, that was spread out over the whole year. Some people didn't wait, they jumped on earlier.

Some people had to wait another year.

Although, I thought the SE sales (from the other holdouts) might have helped.

$42 billion is a respectable amount....

Gary

WOW! I'm first, that doesn't have often (if ever!).
Exactly, Apple is doing well. The 6 line of phones are pretty darn good and people might upgrade over 3 years versus 2. Plus carriers are eliminating the subsidies as well....and the will effect sales to some degree.

Reactions: EricTheHalfBee

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Modern business culture is insane. "If you're not improving quarter over quarter, you're failing."

Shareholders aren't satisfied by just making money; they're only satisfied by making more money every quarter. It's a depressing and unsustainable position.

It's not modern business culture, it is simply how the stock market works. What other reason should anybody have to invest in stocks, hoping for a profit, if not for growth of the company? What is YOUR criterion to choose a stock?

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
It's not modern business culture, it is simply how the stock market works. What other reason should anybody have to invest in stocks, hoping for a profit, if not for growth of the company? What is YOUR criterion to choose a stock?

If you're making, say $1b a year in profit year over year, that's awesome. But in business culture that's considered failure. Regardless of "how you pick stocks", growth should not be the only metric the defines success.

And infinite growth is definitely unsustainable.

blufire95

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Germany
"Cook says Apple has incredible products in the pipeline and is very bullish about the company's future."

Indeed incredible, what they do....no headphone jack, drop the 64GB...this fall will be awesome! Probably finally a protruding camera in the iPad Pro, and because people liked it, an even bigger camera bump in the iPhone 7.
Incredible new macs, now only 600 extra for 1 TB SSD...
and an incredible old Mac Pro...

Erichatch101

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2016

Apple today announced financial results for the third fiscal quarter (second calendar quarter) of 2016. For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $42.4 billion and net quarterly profit of $7.8 billion, or $1.42 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $49.6 billion and net quarterly profit of $10.7 billion, or $1.85 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. As expected, the results represent the second consecutive year-over-year declines in quarterly revenue and iPhone sales.

Gross margin for the quarter was 38 percent compared to 39.7 percent in the year-ago quarter, with international sales accounting for 63 percent of revenue. Apple also declared a quarterly dividend payment of $0.57 per share, payable on August 11 to shareholders of record as of August 8. The company currently holds $231.5 billion in cash and marketable securities, partially offset by $68.9 billion in long-term debt.

Screen-Shot-2016-07-26-at-4.37.01-PM-800x559.jpg

Apple sold 40.4 million iPhones during the quarter, down from 47.5 million a year earlier, while Mac sales were 4.25 million units, down from from 4.8 million units in the year-ago quarter. iPad sales were also down once again, falling to 9.95 million from 10.9 million.Apple's guidance for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016 includes expected revenue of $45.5-47.5 billion and gross margin between 37.5 and 38 percent.

Screen-Shot-2016-07-26-at-4.37.08-PM.jpg

Apple will provide live streaming of its fiscal Q3 2016 financial results conference call at 2:00 PM Pacific, and MacRumors will update this story with coverage of the conference call highlights.

Conference call starts at 2:00 PM Pacific - No need to refresh
loading.gif

Loading live updates...

Article Link: Apple Reports Q3 2016 Earnings of $7.8B on $42.4B in Revenue

Their Mac sales wouldn't be tanking if they weren't laughably behind on their updates of the Mac line.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Say what you want. This is the beginning of the end. iPhone demand is falling off. Watch bands, Android looking phones, and outdated Macs can only take you so far. Time to clean house before the current administrations destroys the farm.
iPhone sales were down because a lot of people got the iPhone 6 and from that point on were tied into a two-year contract. That'll change this year. Seriously. It's not the end. "Android looking phones"? Are you serious? Nearly EVERYONE has copied the iPhone 6 in some way.

Perhaps you should jump ship and let us know how you get on? Didn't think so.

Reactions: mdw1

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
"Cook says Apple has incredible products in the pipeline and is very bullish about the company's future."

Indeed incredible, what they do....no headphone jack, drop the 64GB...this fall will be awesome! Probably finally a protruding camera in the iPad Pro, and because people liked it, an even bigger camera bump in the iPhone 7.

'In the pipeline' doesn't mean 'products currently shipping'. So let's hold off on cynicism until the end of the year. :)

Reactions: Borin and mdw1

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Rumors and what different people imagine aren't really what the reality is or will be. The future is also more than just the next half a year or even a year or so.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
If you're making, say $1b a year in profit year over year, that's awesome. But in business culture that's considered failure. Regardless of "how you pick stocks", growth should not be the only metric the defines success.

You're only looking at wild growth stocks. Plenty of huge companies have stagnant profits. Those tend to give out higher dividends to return money to investors. It's fine.

If you have a lot of money, you can live off of 3% quarterly dividends from a safe stock like SPY (S&P500 ETF; dividends are from the blend of stocks it represents). It's even taxed less than normal income in some cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdw1

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They're up 7% after hours!
Funny how that works. Apple keeps on setting records or announces new things that people are excited about and the stock usually goes down, Apple simply does better than expectations (pretty much just feelings essentially) and the stock is up.

Reactions: Gudi

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008

Of course, such a result is awesome, generally speaking, and nobody with a sane mind would consider it a failure. But in stock market context, if a company stops growing (even coming from a higher level than anybody else), but starts shrinking, OF COURSE its stock price will fall in the long run – or do you really think the buying metric should/can be: "Well, they make less and less for X quarters now, but still very impressive ..."? That's absurd. If you really believe this you simply don't understand the fundamentals how the stock market works.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I can't believe they are managing to still sell these macs.. the people that are buying them are buying them purely for image or their mac recently broke and needed a replacement. No-one is buying these for the tech. It's old.

My old tech 2007 MBP 17" still runs rings around many newer PCs.
(To be fair I put an SSD into it and a few mem chips, but max is 6GB)

Probably left older PCs in the dust which broke long time ago.

My 2014 15.4 is also alive and well. Just put in 1TB SSD from OWC.

While I am also waiting for new MBPs, I don't upgrade immediately.

I don't do desktop or mac pros any more, but the same is valid for those.

Macs are the most versatile, as they can also run PC software via bootcamp.

So, people who buy macs may know a few things, rather than going for image or tech.
They are easy to use and last, last, last.....did I mention last?

Now, if Apple would get off the pot and spend some time on macs,
that would be nice, but for now all I am doing with my macs works just great.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Say what you want. This is the beginning of the end. iPhone demand is falling off. Watch bands, Android looking phones, and outdated Macs can only take you so far. Time to clean house before the current administrations destroys the farm.
Seems to me the comments section of MR is more stale than any Apple product.

Funny how that works. Apple keeps on setting records or announces new things that people are excited about and the stock usually goes down, Apple simply does better than expectations (pretty much just feelings essentially) and the stock is up.

Amazing how when the stock is down after hours everyone comments on that. Today it's up 7% after hours and it's crickets with a bit of Tim Cook has to go sprinkled in.

Reactions: DaveOP and Jax44

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I really wanted some shareholder to get on the call and ask Apple why they are being so laggard that only one Mac model has been updated in the last year, and some models are more than 2 and 3 years old.

And don't feed me the usual line about how only iDevices matter. Look at that pie chart. Macs aren't a tiny sliver--they are 12%.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I can't believe they are managing to still sell these macs.. the people that are buying them are buying them purely for image or their mac recently broke and needed a replacement. No-one is buying these for the tech. It's old.
Students and programmers all have MacBook Pros because they get the job done without any fuss and have the nicest hardware (not just referring to chips). I don't know a single person who I'd suspect of buying one for the image. I know plenty of people who most definitely buy Razors and Alienwares for the image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.