Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

163206-final_cut_studio_box.jpg

CNET reports that Apple has issued a response to yesterday's report that the company is working to "rethink" its Final Cut Pro offerings as the balance of usage of the video production software has shifted towards "prosumers" from the high-end professionals it originally targeted.
"Final Cut Pro is the first choice for professional video editors, and we've never been more excited about its future," Apple spokesman Bill Evans told CNET. "The next version of Final Cut is going to be awesome, and our pro customers are going to love it."
Apple currently offers Final Cut Express, targeted at prosumers, which CNET notes should leave the Final Cut Pro team free to continue catering to high-end video professionals with the Final Cut Studio package.

Apple's comments don't necessarily rule out the report's claims of the company looking to bring in more "prosumer-friendly" features to the full Final Cut Studio package, but do suggest that it is not planning on forgetting its professional audience with future releases.

Article Link: Apple Responds to Reports of Final Cut Pro Refocusing

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Any UI Changes

any UI changes or new approach in the way it works will always resort in people loving or hating it. Look at Adobe's changes over the years. Should be interesting to see what they do.

Comment

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I believe Apple is all about MacRumors and not the other way around.

I mean, why Apple would need to research the market? they just need to take a look at this site and that is it.

Comment

mugwump

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2004
methinks that Final Cut Express will get some prosumer treatment.

It's somewhat silly and daunting that in between iMovie and the powerful Final Cut Pro is Final Cut Express, which is the complex interface with some options turned off.

Maybe they will aperature-ize it, new advanced interface to test the waters to feel out the ever-important pro community.

Comment

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
Yeah. EVERYTHING about that rumor yesterday screamed "Final Cut Epress is gonna get worked over!"

Everyone panicked about Final Cut Pro, but that really didn't seem to be what they were talking about.

After the iPad, OS 4 and consistent lack of Mac Pro update a lot of people are really jumpy; Apple seems to be consumerizing all their products to a sickening degree.

Apple "Shiny Bullsh*t" Inc. should be their new name.

Comment

rajbonham

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2010
Glad Apple said something, because nobody was listening to all of us saying this on the original thread. People need to close their mouths sometimes and just listen.

10+ pages of people freaking out for absolutely nothing. Only on MacRumors! ;)

Comment

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Thank God Apple released that one line sentence to reaffirm me that they aren't killing FCP the way they killed Shake.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Apple have said a lot of things that I didn't agree on, like how that big iMovie renovation was going to be good. I'll have to wait and see on this one.

Comment

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
"Final Cut Pro is the first choice for professional video editors, and we've never been more excited about its future," Apple spokesman Bill Evans told CNET. "The next version of Final Cut is going to be awesome, and our pro customers are going to love it."

Jeez do they all have to sound as giddy and cheesy as Steve Jobs about their products.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
...and consistent lack of Mac Pro update a lot of people are really jumpy...

Off-topic, but I really feel like we don't NEED Mac Pro updates until SSD drives get cheaper. Hard drives are such a huge bottleneck on these machines...what's the point in even updating them at all right now? My Mac Pro never runs at full speed...it's constantly waiting on hard drives!

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I Apple commented on this, then that is THE HUGEST SIGN yet, that they have NOT forgotten FCS!!! It is obviously very important to them!

If they stay committed to the pros as this post says, then YAYYAYAYAYAAYYAAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYA for the next FCS!!!!! :D

I couldn't be more excited! I have been thinking for a while that the next release will FOR SURE be rewritten 64bit, Cocoa, OpenGL/CL, Grand Central, and new UIs all around! YESSSSSSSSS! :D

Apple...... Just remember to bake some Shake into Motion PLEASE! :D

Comment

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Prosumers use it because it is a pro app, dumb it down and the "prosumers" will just go to Adobe. Making something less professional is the exact opposite of what prosumers want, they want to do exactly what the pros do and they know the software just as well as the pros do. The only thing that separates a pro and a prosumer is how they make their money, its stupid of Apple to assume prosumers are incapable of understanding the software.

The only prosumer friendly features they could add would be better compatibility with low end devices. Not sure why they care anyways, the prosumers arent the type who will buy expensive professional software for a hobby, theyre where most of the piracy comes from.

Comment

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
Couldn't it be as simple as offering the ability to switch between two different UIs? One is for super high end users with all the bells and whistles while the second streamlines it.

Comment

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
Hopefully it comes with prepackaged lens flares and wizards so we can put lens flares in every production even in night scenes.

Comment

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Yesterday they said that it was going to be "awesome"...

Today, they said that it was going to be "awesome"...

Tomorrow, they will say that it is "magical and revolutionary" and it will run on the iPad. :confused:

Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yesterday they said that it was going to be "awesome"...

Today, they said that it was going to be "awesome"...

Tomorrow, they will say that it is "magical and revolutionary" and it will run on the iPad. :confused:

Don't forget the Disney twist "So revolutionary that it'll be powered by pixie dust and cotton candy."

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.