Apple Restricts iPhone 7 Reservations to Upgrade Program Members

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 23, 2016.

1. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

Yes, you can. Use the normal "Buy" button. The link has more stocks. Don't use IPU link but the "Buy" button. Here is the link everyone can use. http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-7

ippickup.png

2. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I had a brain freeze and forgot what IUP stood for, lol. I've been seeing that acronym being used

3. vooke macrumors 6502

vooke

Wrong.
    It is intentional to create an impression of overwhelming demand so as to lure the naive
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2016 ---
    Breaking Bad

4. 'Dorian macrumors member

'Dorian

You are absolutely NOT being penalized in any way that I can tell. I'm sure your current phone will not be affected at all by Apple offering phones to people who paid for the privilege first. In fact, I'll wager that not one aspect of your life will be penalized by Apple instituting this program. With a little critical thinking, the only way you could be penalized by this is if you were part of the upgrade program and were being arbitrarily forced to wait.

5. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Snatched my 7+ 128 matte black outright with IUP reservation yesterday. Woo

6. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Insulting much? The Apple Upgrade program is not a "privilege" to get served first. It is just the ability to upgrade your phone annually by Apple (financed by Citizens) instead of carrier financing or full purchase. That's it.

7. Eorlas macrumors 6502a

This is absurd. If you're just any random normal customer of the company, there is absolutely no purchasing support. The reservations page for normally buying customers doesn't work, the only way is to go through that IUP reservations page.

Now they want to restrict that? After telling normal customers to f--- off for launch day, and then this is the next communication they offer?

I helped so many people get a hold of a 7 plus because other than the reservation system and the live map, there was essentially no chance of getting a phone.

But hey, no thanks, Apple. A company I previously held in high regard for exemplary customer service.

8. 'Dorian macrumors member

'Dorian

Offended much? Exactly what did I type that was offensive? When did facts become offensive? Sorry, sometimes I'm astounded by the instant gratification and entitlement mentality that's becoming more rampant every year.

After reading the article, I came to the conclusion that it's a privilege to be able to reserve one to pick up if you are part of the upgrade program. That's it.

9. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Another retail bollocks brought to you by Angela.
    Sorry, facts are not your harebrained conclusions.

10. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

Your entire argument is specious.

There is nothing inherently different between one who purchases a device using IUP, and one who purchases a device via any other method. We all pay the same amount. Apple nets the same profit. Apple realizes payment from those customers who pay full price up front marginally quicker than those who do the IUP or carrier installment plans. This is true because Apple releases the device to the customers on the stated approval from the lending financial institution and have to wait for actual payment - but it's most likely a nit.

So tell me again what you paid for this privilege, real or imagined. And please tell me how I, paying full price for a phone am not negatively affected by having to wait for a new device, while you, using IUP, would be.

To arbitrarily create a pool of devices that would be made available to one class of customers over another would be discriminatory and unfairly penalizes non-IUP customers.

Again, does Best Buy, Target or Nordstroms have separate stock for their customers, based upon how they choose to pay?

11. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

The thing is, the very initial demand has not been met yet. Once that is completed, watch demand drop like an anchor to the bottom of the ocean. Apple so severely shorted the initial supplies that those like us that ordered on day one STILL do not have their iPhones. That, and that fact that the freight ships were held up in CA due to a HANJIN bankruptcy, but that has now been fixed. Once the initial orders are filled, there will be PLENTY of iPhone 7's as it really is just a blip on the screen.

12. randian macrumors 6502a

I'd be happy too, but it's not available to MVNO, prepaid, or reseller customers regardless of their credit.

13. Ds6778 macrumors 6502a

Ds6778

They must have not cared if you were enrolled when reserving, didn't ask me anything other then my Apple ID and password....almost like store pickup.

14. 'Dorian macrumors member

'Dorian

Again, which facts are you talking about that are harebrained conclusions?
    You apparently replied to the wrong comment. I didn't try to justify anything, nor do I care about when I get a new phone unless my current one breaks. I personally didn't pay for any privilege. My iPhone 5S is still working properly so I'll likely not get a new one.

However, stating that Apple reserving phones for people within their upgrade program is penalizing others is a bit disingenuous. What exactly is the penalty? Being forced to use their current phone, which was fine until now, for an extra day, week or month? What is the penalty?

15. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

I was replying to your post in #129. Was that not you?

The penalty is making one class of customers wait while another gets a reserved block of phones. Why should anyone have to wait beyond their inability or unwillingness to pursue an upgrade.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 10.10.21 PM.png

16. 'Dorian macrumors member

'Dorian

Yes that was me. I suppose lack of stock wold be a legitimate reason to have to wait. Though I disagree that it's a penalty. Which is what my original post addressed. How exactly are you being negatively affected by having to wait until stock becomes available? I'm genuinely curious.

It's also not based on a "class" of customers as you are insinuating. It appears anyone can get into Apples upgrade program from what I've read.

17. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I wonder if this is an illogical, half arsed attempt to mitigate istocknow sweeping the shelves, but they should be applauding it, barring inevitable scalpers that pay outright.

i pay outright, and dont scalp - fwiw, many same boat.

rather than shoehorning into IUP apple financing

18. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

Here is my point.

I understand that I can get into Apple's upgrade program. Maybe I don't want to take the hard credit pull hit on my credit report annually... or maybe I just don't want to use the plan. Why should I have to wait while a block of phones are reserved for the IUP class of users?

If phones are available on a first-come, first-served basis, as they have been all along, then the playing field is level. If you reserve phones for only IUP customers, then Apple has created an artificial shortage and is penalizing those customers by telling them "you can't have one because you aren't IUP".

19. 'Dorian macrumors member

'Dorian

I don't believe Apple has ever stated that "you can't have one because you aren't IUP". Also, last year they introduced their new program. So now it's no longer a "level playing field". It was an inevitable outcome due to carriers dropping subsidies and the need for more current users to upgrade each year to keep sales numbers up as the market becomes, at this point, oversaturated.

Had they done this properly, they would have made the amount of stock to replace everyone in the upgrade programs phones along with the current stock they started with. That's only the basic idea. They didn't do that for whatever reason. It was a half thought out attempt, or a calculated risk. It makes more business sense to have customers in the IUP than not because it's close to guaranteed revenue. I'm sure they know that. Their only issues come up during the first month release of a new phone.

I am still curious however... how exactly are you being negatively affected by having to wait until stock is available to purchase a phone? I could understand your hardship if it was food or shelter, and I'm guessing you already have a phone. I'm just genuinely curious how it's negatively affecting you?

20. Surf Monkey, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Thing is? WE paid for the privilege first. By paying monthly for a year in a program that should have given us a fair shot at a phone. But the system did NOT give us a fair shot because we were expected to do the upgrade in store on a reservation. Being tied to store stock, the pre-order process was a closed door to most of us. We literally got pushed to the back of the line.

And to be very clear, I'm talking about those of us who signed up for IUP last year.
    I really don't see how questioning his character is a productive thing to do.

It isn't a matter of "hardship." It's a matter of loyal Apple customers who signed up in good fait last year only to be treated like second tier customers this year. It isn't that anyone wanted preferential treatment. We just think that we should have gotten the SAME shot that everyone else did.

21. 'Dorian macrumors member

'Dorian

I can question anyones character. I have more right to that than someone making entitled statements about not getting something that is not available.

I'm technically on your side. Though from what I understand no one was eligible for the IUP on launch day due to the fact that the phone was released a week or two later last year. Wether that was done on purpose is not known by me. At this point though if you have IUP you should be able to walk in and upgrade, as is stated by contract law. Looks like you can now. So no issues right?

So seeing as IUP is finally at the date it came into existence last year, and those on it can actually walk in and get their new phone as suggested in this article? What's your gripe then?

22. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Of course. It's all just wine and roses. Thanks.

23. MisterAndrew macrumors 65816

MisterAndrew

The IUP reservation system has been the only way to purchase a non-T-Mobile iPhone 7 device-only besides waiting in line early in the morning on launch day. I don't agree with the preferential treatment. Apple shouldn't have restricted IUP pre-orders and they shouldn't be restricting non-IUP customers now.

24. Tmybrgr macrumors newbie

Tmybrgr

It's not that simple. Zero percent yes but the fact is this loan program requires an inquiry on your credit. Someone in the market for a home or who just didn't want one is a valid reason to pay in full or use carrier financing. And it requires a new inquiry every year who wants new inquiries every year for a phone.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    The back of the line point was valid on pre order day only. Apple made stock available after that. To say that iup people still need that is a bit of a stretch. And certainly to say that others buying them shouldn't because iup got shut out of initial orders two weeks later is a bit much. In reality most pre orders went south in terms of delivery. Apple was idiotic for even doing this program they have no idea how to even run it.
    Be that as it may blame Apple their the ones being"disloyal" they completely botched this deployment because the person running their store doesn't know how to run a volume type store model. She came burberry when did they have these volume type of events. Never. I agree you should have had the same stock to draw from on launch day but that's long gone. Tell Apple your gripe so they do better the reality is Apple doesn't care they let tons of people walk in and but phones supposedly reserved. This program is a loan program only with apples famous magical marketing.
    Well by that extension I paid for a year in Verizon's program why don't I get preferential treatment of yeah because it's a loan verizon members got nothing either because Apple screwed them to. They rolled this out to early with to few to to many places and countries. That created this mess. Maybe Apple should just move to an all online model where you all order from the same place and they slap labels on in order received and that's it. At least until they figure out logistics
    In addition to what others have said about iup eg credit or just not wanting to join how about how Apple treated first year people no thanks. And for me anyway it's not about waiting for stock it's about the iup customers all up in arms over people getting phones using any valid method. This iup program is highly overrated for what it is. Now yes if Apple charges a bit more for the program and guaranteed an earlier pre order period I'm sure they would see a huge spike in use of the program.

25. MisterAndrew, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

MisterAndrew macrumors 65816

MisterAndrew

I agree. You shouldn't hurt your credit to buy a phone especially if you're paying for it anyways. The only good way to buy an iPhone is to purchase it full price outright. Then sell it locally for cash when you want to upgrade. Selling my 6S mostly paid for my 7.

Of course the banks love it when you finance a phone and get your credit checked because then they get to make millions more on mortgages by giving you a worse interest rate. Apple loves it because they get to sell phones to people who otherwise couldn't afford them (and the IUP pretty much gaurantees them a future sale) and the carriers love it too because they get more subscribers on over-priced post-paid service.