Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With shipping estimates for new iPad 2 orders having already slipped to 2-3 weeks just hours after they began, more potential customers may be heading out to their local stores to try to snare one of the popular tablet devices when they go on sale at 5:00 PM local time in the United States.

We're hearing of long lines at many Apple retail stores with a little over two hours to go until the iPad launches at locations in the Eastern Time Zone, although they haven't yet approached the magnitude seen for the iPhone 4 release last June. Lines are reportedly significantly shorter if not non-existent at many third-party retailers such as Best Buy, Target, AT&T, and Verizon, although we're also hearing that stocks may be very limited at these locations.

As noted by Fortune, a woman who had been camped out first in line at Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store in Manhattan since Wednesday afternoon this morning sold her spot for $900. BGR also has a recent photo gallery from outside the Fifth Avenue store, where hundreds of customers have lined up.

Panorama from Millenia Mall in Orlando, FL. Thanks Randombilly
Click for Larger​

Additional photos being posted on our Twitter stream, send any additional photos to webmaster@macrumors.com

Article Link: Apple Retail Store Lines Lengthening Ahead of iPad 2 Launch

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I just did a quick drive-by the Modesto, CA Apple Store (Vintage Faire Mall) and their were about 20-30 people already lined up.

I'm getting excited, though I won't be down there until 3:30-4pm

bitWrangler

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
I didn't snap a piccie, but there were maybe a couple of dozen people at the yet to be opened Apple Popup Store in downtown Austin. The black paper is still up on the windows and there still isn't any outward indication that there is even an Apple Store there, but the line is there :) Or course it's sunny and in the mid 70's right now, so not a bad day for standing in line.

Anyone in San Antonio at the La Cantera store that can report on conditions there?

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Must be nice to have that kind of disposable income.

I never understand these posts. Everyone spends their money on important things to them. So why can't they have disposable income? Just because you don't sort your own money right doesn't mean others do not.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
wait!!! $900 + <cost of model iPad2> + accessories...

I am a fan too, but that seems a little ridiculous.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Must be nice to have that kind of disposable income.

It is nice.

I work 50+ a week, lots of late nights, long hours and weekends plus I am required to travel a lot and spend days/weeks away from my family and friends.

So why am I not allowed to enjoy what I worked hard to earn?

So yes, it is nice to have disposable income.

mygoldens

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2005
Why?

In two days they will be every where!

How does it feel to be a puppet of Steve? He could have released this the same way he released the new Macs!

And look no one even cared about the new Macs!:eek:

This shows you the way Apple is going, iPads, iPhones and iPods, NO more Macs!

What a waste!

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Which NYC store will have the shortest line? I heard the Soho store was already 150 heads deep at like 10am. 90%+ Chinese. I guess those ipads will be on a plane back to China in about 3 hours.

My guess is worst to least in terms of wait.

1. Cube
2. Soho
3. Meatpacking
4. Upper West.

I was thinking of leaving work at 4 and heading over to Meatpacking to pick one up.

bitWrangler

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
I never understand these posts. Everyone spends their money on important things to them. So why can't they have disposable income? Just because you don't sort your own money right doesn't mean others do not.

Agreed. Considering the amount of money being spent by those who are "just" getting an ipad2 (despite what some might claim, isn't a necessity for the overwhelming majority of folks), to try to take the moral high ground on conspicuous consumption is rather daft.

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
It is nice.

I work 50+ a week, lots of late nights, long hours and weekends plus I am required to travel a lot and spend days/weeks away from my family and friends.

So why am I not allowed to enjoy what I worked hard to earn?

So yes, it is nice to have disposable income.

Cushy. In my line of work, 50 hrs/weekly is considered weak.
But I agree with you, enjoy the iPad 2. I sure will!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Xoom Launch Day

Nothing like the line for the launch of the Xoom! :p

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 6,084
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.