Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
now understand why it takes so long to buy something in an apple store

very annoying going in if you know what you want and just want to pay and leave

Seriously? It takes 'so long' to buy a product in the Apple store?

You must be kidding me.

This is a totally different topic. Until given appropriate reason, this would suck.

Welcome to the customer service vision of John Browett.

1st thought into my head. Walk into any Currys PC world and there is hardly any staff and the staff that are there are uninterested, unmotivated and to be fair technically clueless. This is a pretty interesting article and will be interesting to see how it affects the retail experience. Ill be keeping an eye in my local Apple retail store for any drastic changes.

Aug 5, 2012
Seriously? It takes 'so long' to buy a product in the Apple store?

You must be kidding me.

This is a totally different topic. Until given appropriate reason, this would suck.

i always find service to be very slow no matter the time of day

sometimes staff can be very friendly or quite rude

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So how do the people who constantly wave the fact that Apple has 80 Billion "in the bank" want to justify not being able to keep staff at current levels. :rolleyes: The "most successful" company that has more money than many governments has an unemployment rate ;)

Imaginethe

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
UK
At Manchester's store I have noticed that it always used to be so busy, struggling to find a staff member. But recently most of the staff have just been hanging about waiting for customers. This maybe due to the fact it is tmeporary as there is a large expansion going on. But it has always been full before.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
i hated going to the apple stores and the experience will be even worse.

Steve jobs would have never allowed this. :mad:

Radio

Steve Jobs was the one who shifted production to China for cheaper manufacturing costs while maintaining/expanding the profit margins. Most of the executives don't care about the person all the way at the bottom of the company working in a retail store. One of the few exceptions would of been Sam Walton.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
So how do the people who constantly wave the fact that Apple has 80 Billion "in the bank" want to justify not being able to keep staff at current levels. :rolleyes: The "most successful" company that has more money than many governments has an unemployment rate ;)

So much for the anti-Apple hate you. Just bickering. Always bickering. But I get it, you're a big Apple fan and you're trying to be logical. Good good!

Given, I'm not happy by the situation, how did you come to the conclusion of Apple having an unemployment rate? Do you know the entire picture? Are you sure Apple is not hiring any where else?

For a job where you need 20 people, if you hire 40, what are you gonna do? I'm not saying Apple shouldn't have hired 40. Obviously they shouldn't have. I'm saying that there could be something more than meets the eye.

Hold off your hate-horse before you know much about the story, you biggest Apple fan on this forum. ;)

pastorjim

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2002
California
Olympics?

Not to put a damper on all the nay-sayers, but I seem to recall a report about how Apple UK was beefing up parts supplies, foreign language keyboards in stock, and retail staff in anticipation of the need to service the foreign press during the Olympics.

The closing ceremonies were yesterday, and the demand is gone!

Adieu, new workers who processed the crowds.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Wtf? This is disgusting. Apple is sitting on a boat load of cash and can’t promote employees? Glad I don’t work there. I was thinking about getting a weekend job there.
Too bad I guess.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
now understand why it takes so long to buy something in an apple store

very annoying going in if you know what you want and just want to pay and leave
I agree that walking into an Apple store can be obnoxious in the particularly busy ones. However my last two visits were not a problem. One I bought an accessory using the app - never talked to anybody and was in and out. The other was to pickup a computer I ordered online. The phone auto-checked me in and the product came out of the back with my name already printed on the box. They handed it to me and I was on my way.

Reducing staff isn't going to help with most of the people that swarm in without an agenda.

Sgt. ButtKiss

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Company making gazillions of dollars firing $9.50/hour employees. How low.

Enjoying your iToys much?

Imagine being a business owner.

You have a retail store full of employees. You have been pressured to boost wages and salaries. Your business is dependent on heavy swings in market demand based on product release and time of year. You have made improvements to customer buying effieciency (i.e. the apple store app) which literally requires no employee to complete a purchase. This results in faster customer turnover and more employees dusting the already clean shelves. Will you retain the same number of employees just because you have already hired them?

It is a business decision. Yes, it sucks for those in need of work, but we are in a recession. Europe is crashing and burning. Sales will be influenced and overhead is not going to change by itself.

Those that are wealthy are wealthy for a reason and successful business's won't be a grandfather to the world just because they have a cash surplus because that is an inefficient way to run a business. There is a difference between being a philanthropist and correctly running a business.

I apologize if I'm coming off harsh, but as a business owner this topic hits a sweet spot for me :)

Edit: Even take out the recession and poor world economy - This is how the world of business works, everywhere, especially within retail.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
+100. Going to the Apple store is usually my last resort. Always end up staying an hour or so longer than I should have to. Last time I tried an in store pickup, it literlaly took them 1.5 hours to "find" my iPhone (while I saw walkins buy them with no issue). And at my last genius bar appointment, I waited about 40 minutes past my reservation time before anyone saw me.

My experience is just the opposite...Genius appointments always on time, and less than 5 minutes for pick up devices left for repair. (Last repair was replacement of the Logic Board, which took about 5 hours from when I dropped it off.)

I don't for a moment question your bad experience, but I really think it depends on the store. My experience has been uniformly positive in all ways...I guess I'm lucky, my closest store is a well run store. :D

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Companies with high revenue should pay the employees more? Would that mean that small companies should pay the employees barely anything?

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Not to put a damper on all the nay-sayers, but I seem to recall a report about how Apple UK was beefing up parts supplies, foreign language keyboards in stock, and retail staff in anticipation of the need to service the foreign press during the Olympics.

The closing ceremonies were yesterday, and the demand is gone!

Adieu, new workers who processed the crowds.

If so, those must be contract hires.

But why the same would happen in other parts of the world is not understandable. I'm suspecting bad decisions on part of Apple retail.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Company making gazillions of dollars firing $9.50/hour employees. How low.

Enjoying your iToys much?

Hmm, sounds like McDonald's except that McDonald's employees make minimum wage. I'm enjoying my iPhone, and I may be enjoying a job at the Apple Retail Store soon.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
It's retail. What do these people expect?

Being such a huge Apple fanantic, people ask me all the time why I don't work for Apple. It's simple. When the honeymoon ends after 2 weeks, you realize it's just another sh**** retail job. People think working at the Apple Store is like Willy Wonkas or something. It's just retail. Dealing with the idiot public, crappy hours, and crappy pay. Sorry, but you can't pay a mortgage making $12 bucks an hour. What do these people expect? Working at the Apple Store is no different than working for Best Buy, Radio Shack or the Gap.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

You don't become and stay at the top of your industry by pissing away cash. This isn't a charity, it's a business. You keep as many employees as necessary to get the job done. In the retail world, especially on the scale that Apple operates, this number can fluctuate from time to time.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Maybe Samsung has informed apple that they are terminating their working agreement since the case appears to be going more so in favor to apple (at least in the press) .... And what better way to compete with your enemy, than to terminate a relationship.

Thus apple knows its going to be a very slow year, until the 5S is released.

iPhone 5 Limited edition. ;)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
makes sense when you can walk in and buy a lot of the products w/o physically having to talk to anyone. You really need to have a special set of skills =/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.