Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
It's obvious that the wooden tables are the culprit in this equation.

Really surprised that Apple didn't spring for new tables with built-in slots for the iPads/redesigned cable holes UNDER each device or built-in docking so that a hideous 5 foot cable lead doesn't have to be run to the center of the table.

The amount of cables in the third picture alone makes me want to puke.

What makes you think they won't do that? This is a photo of a work-in-progress situation. I guarantee you once the re-vamp is finished you won't see a mess of cables. Remember Apple leaves not the smallest detail to chance.

whatnow?

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
Not just Apple?

Sure it's a showcase for iPads but it won't only work for Apple - it's an ideal solution for point-of-sale in a whole bunch of different industries. It looks to me like somebody in Apple is imaging other situations where iPads could be used - and and creating new markets. Clever, I have to admit....

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
The more I see touchscreen tablets used like this, it reminds me of more places becoming like my science center. Even years ago, various places like it and certain tourist attractions used information kiosks with touch-screen interfaces throughout the place. Of course, using much bigger and more expensive equipment. But at least, this looks like a part of the undertaking of the future these places promised.

More environmentally friendly? I don't know. Though the amount of world-wide Apple Stores and the amount of things displayed in them would be hardly a small fraction compared to the amount of iPads in people's hands. If they put them in every store, wouldn't the count hardly reach Over 9000?

That's still under 1% of just 1 million of the iPads sold. I doubt the making of these is as much of a footprint that people are making it out to be.

i also agree that it markets to other businesses about the application of these things (from an idea perspective) into all sorts of places. Various department stores, malls, etc. Maybe even replacing some of the old, still expensive to repair, and outdated hardware in your favorite science and other museums. Even though people may state about the cost of the iPad, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the current hardware used to place the existing kiosks out there. Put a tablet in the right box, so that the home button and other buttons aren't accessible without opening the thing, and you have a high quality touch-screen kiosk for a tiny fraction of the price.

Could other tablets be made to do this? Yes, but they also don't have their own stores to make these displays to entice this new market for cheap kiosks. This is using the advantage of actually having dedicated stores, around the world, selling your product.

Last edited:

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
For those speculating about where these are plugged in to, I want to point out that on the iPad 2 the dock connector is somewhat recessed back a little bit on the curve of the back. It could simply be that Apple's using a very low profile connector with a 90 bend on it to loop back under. Sitting in their little "wells" like they are you'd never notice...

pkson

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
I think this is a great idea.

Yeah, paper is cool and renewable and all that, but for me, personally, I always thought the iPad was a pretty nice alternative to paper. (even Jesse Jackson Jr. thinks so haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5X8W7MgbhM)

I love how everything that paper did is slowly finding its way into the iPad (and other tablets) and I think this, while surprising will actually do pretty well.

It might even help boost iPad sales as well.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It looks pretty awful in the photographs, I'm gonna have a look in the actual store today. Got an interview on Tuesday with them, so might as well have a look!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Remember one important thing:

Just because something can be done, does not mean it should be done.

I can see some tech person thinking this is a cool idea, but in the real world I'm not so sure it works aesthetically.

Many times a very clean and simple way of doing things is the best. And why people will pay large amounts of money for simple drawings, sketches, paintings ect to hang around their home.

We could just hang flat panel TVs everywhere which would do more.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I was hoping for something more interesting then adding iPads as part of the shopping experience. Though this is a nice addition, will see when I pop inshore this week

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
I haven't seen anybody mention this - but it has really confused me - the Macbook Pro in the first picture, has a Macbook Air screen?!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
- iPads display product features, prices and lets you compare between models.
- Apple store staff appear to be wearing party hats.

So based on all that info, I have made a mockup of what a Genius might look like today:

Crop.jpg

They still have different colored t-shirts and also dance around in circles and sing songs. But that's just pure speculation.

lewi

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
Cables

My guess is that Apple decided to route the cables over rather than through the desks to give them greater flexibility over future product displays. If they bored holes, they would limit display configuration or risk having holes visible.

I bet when you're in the store the clutter appears less unsightly, just because you spend your time looking at and interacting with the product rather than looking at the display design as we are now.

Having said all this, I completely agree with other points made regarding the paper display cards. This does seem a somewhat needless waste of power and resource. Small paper cards actually looked quite sleek in comparison.

Bodypainter

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
That's not exactly cheap compared to traditional point of sale signage costing pennies.

I am sure that dagobert duck... ah Steve jobs is going to reduce the amount of shop employees and also: no paper = no one who prints out the papers, places them right next to the product etc. I am just surprised they haven't invented some iPad low-cost that has no bluetooth, battery or camera. and such thing could be a lot smaller and mounted into the desk.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Sorry, but I do have to agree with some here, having a spagettie if cables on show looks an utter mess.

Whenever you want to display things at their best, you always do your utmost to hide all wires/cables.

I'm sure this will looked back upon in a few years time as a bad idea they tried once.

The contrast ratio and ease of reading off a card is so much better. Of course from the technical point of view it's great and the techie inside me thinks it's cool. But the human part of me thinks perhaps this is using tech for techs sake.

Just thinking about this a little more.

The only time you really need electronic displays are when you have constantly changing information, such as transport timetables / airports etc, and when you need the customer to enter information just as perhaps in a food establishment and you are placing orders.

Just to display info and a price that will not change for around a year about a product, Im not sure this is the most practical and easy to read way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryan839

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
UK
iPod display looks very ugly.

Does anybody know if they have implemented this display change in the UK? Hope not!

lvlarkkoenen

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Hmm homm.. I don't really find this very interesting to be honest.. iPads as shopping displays might work for car dealers where they can use them for interactive and moving demonstrations. I can see a vid of a car racing by being interesting, but a video of a MBP opening up:confused:

Also, while Apple would ofcourse use their own product, I believe that an e-reader would be a better fit here. Less screamy and less electricity. Can't run any demos, but you could have one 27" iMac running those on a rotation. Or perhaps 3 displays in total: Macs, portable Macs, iOS stuff (Or (portable) Macs, iPads, iPods if they insist Back-to-Mac isn't happening).

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
If you forget how much energy went into making that device, the hazardous materials in that device, the energy it wastes sitting there on...

None of this is about saving the planet, it's about offering customers a better experience. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
My guess is that Apple decided to route the cables over rather than through the desks to give them greater flexibility over future product displays. If they bored holes, they would limit display configuration or risk having holes visible.

Cables on top means people can lift up the items but cannot walk out of the shop with them.

Having said all this, I completely agree with other points made regarding the paper display cards. This does seem a somewhat needless waste of power and resource. Small paper cards actually looked quite sleek in comparison.

Also, while Apple would ofcourse use their own product, I believe that an e-reader would be a better fit here.

It may has escaped you, but using iPads this way means that _everybody_ going into an Apple Store is going to test drive an iPad. And what would be the benefit to Apple if everybody visiting an Apple Store was forced to test drive say a Kindle?

note that apple gets the iPads a lot cheaper than the average user. the production price of an iPad is somewhere around 190 us$ (if I remember correctly)

$190 is most likely cost of parts, that is a bag full of parts that may or may not have reached a plant in China. The most reasonable cost estimate is sales price minus gross margin: If BMW bought 10,000 iPads to use in display, they would spend say 10,000 times $499, and Apple would make 10,000 times x dollars profit. So if Apple uses the same 10,000 iPads, take 10,000 times $499 minus gross margin of around 38%, according to Apple.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.