Apple Rumored to Discontinue iPad Mini

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 16, 2017.

1. imola.zhp macrumors 6502

imola.zhp

We love our Mini 2, the problem is that it is too good to replace. We do not use it that frequently, but when we do it is a very enjoyable experience. Other than wanting touch-ID, we have had no reason to upgrade yet.

Hoping a bezel-less 9.7 will be about the size of a 7.9 mini, maybe then we will upgrade.

2. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

It's the post-iPad era. Nobody uses limited iPads anymore since it's just a bigger phone.

3. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

"Nobody"? Almost everyone in my family, and many of the people that I know use(s) an iPad on a daily basis... until someone comes out with a 10 inch phone (which would be beyond ridiculous), your comment makes ZERO sense.

4. Victor Mortimer macrumors member

Victor Mortimer

I never really used it in the first place. I have an iPad 2, which (outside of why I bought it, troubleshooting iPad issues for clients) really only ever got used for a few games. The iPad mini seems even more useless to me.

Sorry, an iPad is just a toy. It isn't a replacement for a computer, and it can't make phone calls even on the models with a LTE radio built in.

The only way the iPad mini could have a purpose is if Apple adds the Phone app to it, and then it's just a niche really big iPhone.

5. ilikepear macrumors newbie

Not surprised about the lack of sales, with dated specs.

iPad mini 2 (A7)
    iPad mini 3 (A7 YET again)
    iPad mini 4 (A8 while the rest are at A9)

Same thing with Mac Mini.. 900+ days and counting.

Surely is a move to save their more expensive iPads and Macs 's sales.

6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

iPad may be viewed as just a toy to some but it's the one toy I use on a daily basis. I enjoy my iPad for what it is. It doesn't need to make calls, get my coffee, or jump through hoops. It is what it is and generally people either love them or hate them...I love mine. I've used both the iPad and the Mini starting with the original. Anyway, hopefully the Mini doesn't go away anytime soon. I am currently using an iPad Pro 9.7 inch.

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I have not even taken my Mini out of the drawer since I bought the large iPad
    Pro.

8. Cigsm macrumors 6502

You're kidding right? Google is an advertising company. When you use a google service or app or site, you are the product and the advertisers are their customers. Apple is literally the opposite

9. Ankou_Sabat macrumors member

Ankou_Sabat

I love my iPad Mini and so does my sister. She's a doctor and she said that the entire class loved theirs because the Mini fit perfectly in a lab coat pocket. If they had touted this up to the medical field they'd have more adopters. Maybe the reason it wasn't selling so well and had lower growth was because people were holding on to that purchase for so long and it received no updates in 2+ years and no attention.

10. cube macrumors G5

It seems that nobody has an HDX 7 replacement.

11. davidinva macrumors 6502a

--- Post Merged, May 21, 2017 ---
    Do you use the Apple Pencil? Is so, which apps? I have a Mini 4 and use it 9-1 over my Nacbook Pro. Thinking of getting the 9.7 Pro.

12. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I do not have the Pencil just yet. It is something I would like to try but other than just doodling I don't know what I would use it for really. I keep hoping they release an iPad Mini 5 for me to take with me when I go out for the day. I love my 9.7 but it seldom leaves the house.

13. mossme89 macrumors 6502

It would be idiotic to discontinue it. That would just be ceding the small tablet market to Samsung. You know why it's not selling well? Because it has a slightly faster A8 chip which is noticeably slower than the A9 or A10. Not worth the price for a 2+ year old chip

14. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

From my experience, I will say this.....I had an iPad mini. But ended up selling it for a PC. Between my PC and iPhone Plus (and now especially my GS8+), I have 0 need for an iPad. It just didn't do enough for me when I had it and it still doesn't today. I honestly LOL when Apple tries to position the iPad Pro as a computer

15. 2IS Suspended

My point is valid whether or not you agree with it. You are not the validation police. You're a stranger on the Internet with an opinion, much as myself. You seem to have read my original post more then once at this point, yet you still fail to grasp the concept of the word "could"

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/could?s=t

As far as what reason would they have to do such a thing, it "could" (there's that confusing word again) be to simply streamline their naming convention and have multiple size options under the iPad Pro moniker.

It "could" also mean that the 7" will be gone forever

This "could" be nothing more than a rumor and iPad mini will continue to exist.

I'm only stating potential outcomes that are within the realm of possibility, not a blanket statement. So unless you have some inside information that states unequivocally that it will be discontinued with nothing to take it's place, not only is my point valid, but it's more valid than your own.

16. Relentless Power, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

For one, Nice straw man arguement. "Not only is my Point valid, but it's more valid than your own." What were you saying about blanket statements?

And I have no idea why you're making this way more difficult than it needs to be, being Two weeks later and yet you refute and obfuscate the discussion by providing a dictionary reference? And using phrase "Stranger on the internet"? Really? Again....frivolous semantics that hold no value to the discussion among other obscurities in your post.

Aside from shoehorning your theory, all I did was compare the iPhone to the equivalency of the fate of the Mini, which at this point, is fairly obvious where Mini is leading due to the growing capacity of the iPhone. I never made a claim Apple was ending the Mini, but it doesn't stop the "Realm of possibilities" what I stated as well. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. Being you think you hold a higher ground on what an opinion is, then you fail to participate in a discussion where there are two sides, it's not one sided discussion who has the better opinion or subjected possibilities.

Bottom line: The Mini appears to be fading and with Apple's current trajectory with the larger iPhone and expansion of the larger iPads, I don't believe the Mini has a place anymore in Apples line up. Especially given the yearly decline they have had for the last three years. (That's an opinion.....it doesn't justify mine over yours, nor does it grant yours over mine.)

I think this discussion is plenty exhausted and it's best to move on. Thanks for the reply and the discussion.

17. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

18. Frank Underwood macrumors newbie

Frank Underwood

The iPad mini is the perfect consumption device for me.

19. Manishbahuva macrumors newbie

Manishbahuva

--- Post Merged, Sep 3, 2017 ---
    Apple will plan for next version of ipad mini series provided it receives sufficient amount of requests from the clients who desire to buy it. I suggest to post an request on sites with high viewership like this one or on Apple's site for them to consider for next version of ipad mini series.

I would love to have all the features of ipad pro 10.5 including the thin bazzles in the next series of ipad mini calling it as ipad mini pro!

20. iLilana macrumors 6502a

iLilana

was wating for next one to buy. Perfect non-phone phone.

21. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Here is the direct link to Apple's Feedback website. This is specifically for the iPad feedback.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

22. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

Please don't take away the iPad Mini. I'm still rocking a first-gen model and while it's practically useless for browsing (and most other things honestly) it's still my main video consumption device. I use it daily to stream Netflix/YouTube/Twitch while cooking or doing other chores around the house. I can also use it to stream while I'm working the night shift when things are quiet. So easy to carry around, the battery still gets me a couple days worth of usage, and despite having a paltry 512MB of RAM it still streams video like a boss.

I was going to see what a 5th gen was going to look like and probably upgrade but if this is true I may need to get a 4th gen sometime soon before the line gets killed off. I don't want a full sized iPad to carry around. The mini is too convenient as it is.

23. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

If this happens I'm gonna have to switch to Samsung, the mini is the perfect size for reading. I don't want a full size iPad for that.

24. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

If all you want to do is read, even a Mini 2 will do. And the mini 4 is still great for that. It's everything else that is going to start falling off the feature list (like ARKit since it needs an A9).

25. profets macrumors 68040

I picked up a refurb mini 4 some months back for reading. I love it for that purpose.

I think long term though the mini will eventually disappear from the line up.