Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
I couldn't find a single i5 M series processor that outscored the T9900. Might have missed one but they don't exactly leap out on the geekbench search.

actually you probably won't right now. Not when the test mixes single and dual threaded apps. Though I would be interested to see an i5 mobile with a 64 bit OS just to compare...i couldn't find any.

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
actually you probably won't right now. Not when the test mixes single and dual threaded apps. Though I would be interested to see an i5 mobile with a 64 bit OS just to compare...i couldn't find any.

Yeah, not much there. I guess my point is that the current high-end C2Ds just aren't as hopelessly inferior to the i5/i7 as they're being made out to be.

One of intel's most brilliant marketing ploys has been to get people to believe that a hyperthreading dual-core is equivalent to a quad-core, when it's nowhere close.

Threads =/= cores.

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
Yeah, not much there. I guess my point is that the current high-end C2Ds just aren't as hopelessly inferior to the i5/i7 as they're being made out to be.

One of intel's most brilliant marketing ploys has been to get people to believe that a hyperthreading dual-core is equivalent to a quad-core, when it's nowhere close.

Threads =/= cores.

some merit there...but let's not forget you're also only measuring the CPU in this bench, with limited memory testing as from what I can see. I actually don't think the biggest grip with the current Mac lineup is the CPU's, even though the longest thread ever is about Arrandale...I think most would agree it's the GPU that's even farther behind current offerings, which geekbench does not measure whatsoever.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
The old technology here would be old CPUs and GPUs. ExpressCard is not an old technology. What exactly has replaced it? It sure comes handy to those who use it now for USB 3.0.
How computers are manufactured today is what has replaced it :)
The problem is that we used to have pcmcia cards for a lot of things like network, wifi, bluetooth, 3g modems, analog/digital modems, etc. Manufacturers started to built all of those features into their products so you wouldn't need a pile of pcmcia/expresscards to drag along. In some cases they ditched the pcmcia/expresscard in favor of usb or bluetooth (the 3g modems for example).

Right now expresscards are useful for using usb3 (you're not getting the max of 4.8 Gb/s anyway due to the huge amount of overhead; I think 2.4 Gb/s is more realistic) but only until manufacturers built that into their products. The only really useful expresscards for anyone are the ssd ones because they add extra internal storage to the machine. All in all, expresscard is quite expensive and not very attractive so they simply don't use it a lot.

The above story also illustrates what the article in the topicstart is lacking. The writer lacks any architectural knowledge he needs for writing such an article. It's not about using "cheap" components it's about choosing the components that match your needs and wishes. Powersaving is something that can only be achieved if it is a requirement for every component. The gains are so little you need to have it across the board. Same goes for things like heat and speed. There is also a lot of choice in manufacturers and components. For example: if you want a chip for the network card you could choose Realtek or Intel or Broadcom. Realtek is the cheapest but it will come at some cost: it depends a lot on the cpu so you either need a faster cpu if you want fast networking or you'll have to accept that networking is slower then on other machines. You could also go for the more expensive option that does not have those drawbacks but is simply more expensive. Things like the price of the end product (e.g. laptop) and its audience will decide whether you go for the cheap or more expensive chip.

In the end it's all about the entire picture and not just the parts. You don't just pick some components, solder them on a pcb and put it in some plastic or aluminium casing. There's an awful lot more to it which most people tend to not know.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
The above story also illustrates what the article in the topicstart is lacking. The writer lacks any architectural knowledge he needs for writing such an article. It's not about using "cheap" components it's about choosing the components that match your needs and wishes.

Good engineering can do both. It can both use updated components and save power. The iPhone 4 is a perfect example of this.

I have to say, I was sorely underwhelmed by the last Macbook Pro upgrade. It was a classic example of lazy designing and lack of innovation.

I want to see Apple do something like this for the next MBP revision. A complete revamp to maximize it's capabilities as much as they can.

http://translate.google.com/transla...ined-by-project-leader/&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&swap=1

animan

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
I used to swear by Sony laptops having owned several including the Vaio P, UX, TZ series etc. over the last 8-9 years. For the last year and a half I have switched to the MBA and recently MBP and could not be happier.

My experience with Sony has been that will put a whole bunch of components together and show off decent specs without giving much consideration to usability. Case in point, a 1920x1020 display on a 13" screen. In fact the Vaio P has a 1600 display on an 8" screen which is a joke and complete disregard to the poor user who is supposed to use it. Also, the laptops are pre-loaded with a bunch of junk which increases the boot time ten-fold and almost brings the computer to its knees, which by the way, can only be removed by paying an additional $150 for a professional version of Windows.

I am perfectly happy with my MBP and intend to stay that way. And, usability is the key to good engineering, everything else is just an icing on the cake.

geox

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Good engineering can do both. It can both use updated components and save power. The iPhone 4 is a perfect example of this.

I have to say, I was sorely underwhelmed by the last Macbook Pro upgrade. It was a classic example of lazy designing and lack of innovation.

I want to see Apple do something like this for the next MBP revision. A complete revamp to maximize it's capabilities as much as they can.

http://translate.google.com/transla...ined-by-project-leader/&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&swap=1

+1

MBP 13's dated processor and specs are making it lean towards netbook area than a professional/prosumer laptop. lcak of innnovation in MBP line for the last year or 2 is lacking... by Apple standards. can some one name new tech that apple introduced in MBP line in the last 2 years? on the other hand iphones made great progress over the last 4 years. i think the new iphone is a piece of art (yes i know about the current teething problems)

ok if apple didn't think Laptops aren't important anymore, atleast they should have provided us the option to add required features ourselves via a express card slot, These are supposed to be professional laptops (mb pro) express card would have provided the flexibility/option/choice to connect wwan/gps,smartcard readers,usb 3.0,esata and even internal tv tuners... :/

iamrawr

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
New Jersey
im guessing some people are just tired of the windows UI. i totally agree with macs using outdated hardware and i feel cheated, but it's overall ability to do everyday things on a computer fast and efficiently is better than the norm in my opinion... but i really like gaming on the go and macs just don't cut it for me =( but i really wanna get one... haha :eek:

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
im guessing some people are just tired of the windows UI. i totally agree with macs using outdated hardware and i feel cheated, but it's overall ability to do everyday things on a computer fast and efficiently is better than the norm in my opinion... but i really like gaming on the go and macs just don't cut it for me =( but i really wanna get one... haha :eek:

I beg to differ, the build quality of the latest gen MBP is spectacular, the multitouch trackpad is unparalleled, the real time GPU switching is super and the 8 hours battery life I get out of my 15" i5 is unheard of! Not to mention the hires matte display is to die for.
We have had several vaio laptops in the family and the only thing I can say about them are that their build quality is junk. They tend to fail after two years max.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I don't give a crap about blu-ray, as DVD is enough for me, I'm not too fussy about having the best graphics:cool:

But the hybird hard drive DOES seem like a great idea! I'm in full support of them sticking hybird drives into their MBPs!:D

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009

For a lot of Mac users it just comes back to OS X. I have boot camp on my Mac Pro and about once a month I have to boot to Windows to use a 3D app that isn't available for OS X. But before I can actually use that program, Windows alerts me that the reason the machine is being so unresponsive is because there are several important updates that it's just been installing for the last 10 minutes. Then the machine restarts and I can do my work, providing I don't have to do a Windows Genuine Advantage check or some other nonsense.

Even when you change the settings so that you decide when to allow updates to happen, the machine still has times when the hard drive churns for 20 minutes and the machine is slow. Every time I boot to Windows I remember why I hate it so much.

The fact that Macs are so well made is a nice bonus but for me it's OS X that keeps me on Apple machines. It stays out of the way and keeps on trucking with no slow downs due to clogged up registries or whatever else.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
I had that Sony for 2 weeks and returned it. Had the i7 with 6GB of ram. I'll be honest, it was fast but I had 3 major issues with it:

• Cheap feeling plastic body
  • Hybrid chipset only supports windows 7 (comon' it's a PC!)
  • Screen visibility pails in comparison to a MBP

On paper the Vaio is superior but in my hands I was very disappointed, especially at the high price point. I went running back to Mac

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I gave up on ever seeing a MBP that could handle everything I need. I sold my 15" and bought the base 13" MBP for my work. It's connected to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse most of the time anyway.

I then bought a powerful Windows laptop for games and Blu-ray. So now I have to carry two laptops if I want to game or watch one of my Bluray movies when I'm out of town. Luckily I drive most places and don't have to carry 15lbs (with power bricks) of laptops on my back through airports.

It would be nice if Apple ever offered a thicker super Mac with all the most powerful specs at a premium price. There's a small niche market they could satisfy but perhaps not enough folks for them to care.

As long as people are willing to pay more for the Apple experience and are fine with lower specs at a premium price there is no business reason for Apple to change their design practices.

Cheers,

deus ex machina

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
RE: Blu-ray

I did not read the entire thread, so this point could have already been made.

Apple's renaissance came at the wake of the Ipod, the Iphone and Itunes. The movies on the company store are available a downloadable format, hence a blu-ray drive is unnecessary. No need for Apple to invite competition.

As for laptop processors, Apple took the route of battery life over cutting edge performance. Consider that Moore's Law is happy with the increase in CPU speed, but not for heat. Desktop units have gone from no HSF to massive, loud units. Since heat is a concern for laptops, one would expect a slower rate in improvement with the CPU and GPU department.

Sony has been wanting in its quality as of late.

deus ex machina

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
The latest generation of MBP's and the mini are marked more for tripling of the gpu pipelines. Important, as more of processing is shifting to graphics unit.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
What gets me is the stark difference in apple's approach to the iPhone versus their Macbook Pro line.

With the iPhone, Apple consistently releases phones that absolutely blow away all the competition in terms of features and performance.

Yet with their MBPs, they consistently release products that use outdated components. What's up with that?

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
What gets me is the stark difference in apple's approach to the iPhone versus their Macbook Pro line.

With the iPhone, Apple consistently releases phones that absolutely blow away all the competition in terms of features and performance.

Yet with their MBPs, they consistently release products that use outdated components. What's up with that?

Not true concerning the iphone, up until the iphone 4 was announced the phone evolved very slowly (the feature difference between the original iphone and the 3GS are minimal), so it took them 3.5 years to release a significant update!

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009

Trolls are trolling all over a troll thread.

MBP13" matches performance of most consumers lines if not flatout beats them in most category. And Macbook pro should actually be in line with the thin and light category.... which it pretty much destroys everything in. The 320m has enough muscle to play most modern games on native resolution and the cpu is beefy enough to beat most modern consumer class cpus in real life tests. Don't quit your day job, trolling isn't your forte.

geox

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010

+1

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
When the iPhone came out, it was bar none the best smartphone on the market. It absolutely trounced the competitors in terms of capabilities, features and specs.

Same was true for the 3G and the 3GS.

Remember how everyone was hailing the Palm Pre as the iPhone killer. Well that lasted for all of two months, until the 3GS came out and leap frogged the competition yet again.

Now, the iPhone 4 did it all over again, beat every andriod phone on the market.

Meanwhile Macbook Pros don't hold a candle to competitors like the Sony Vaio Z in terms of specs, performance or innovation.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
When the iPhone came out, it was bar none the best smartphone on the market. It absolutely trounced the competitors in terms of capabilities, features and specs.

This is an exaggeration. The first generation iPhone had plenty of criticism from people with the same mindset as you, ie "But it doesn't even do MMS....My 3 year old Nokia beats it" or "But it's not even 3G, my 3 year old Nokia is better" etc etc etc.

Same was true for the 3G and the 3GS.

Wrong again. People whined about dropped calls, poor battery life, poor build quality etc etc etc

Now, the iPhone 4 did it all over again, beat every andriod phone on the market.

Except for all the complaints about the antenna issues of course.

Meanwhile Macbook Pros don't hold a candle to competitors like the Sony Vaio Z in terms of specs, performance or innovation.

Thanks for letting me know. My next machine will be a Vaio Z then, so that I can do all my Final Cut, Logic and Aperture work on that instead.....Except I can't can I?

This repetitive whining about specs is tiresome and frankly, not flattering to your intellect. If you want certain specs over everything Apple offers in a laptop, then you'll have to make do with Windows - It's as simple as that....I hope you're happy with 2 hours battery life, poor screen quality, heat issues, plastic chassis bottom that will doubtless start rattling and crack over time, poor customer support, long repair times, low resale value, bloatware, crapware, half your system resources dedicated to scanning for viruses and other "threats", Windows Genuine Advantage checks, Windows updates that take hours, system rollbacks points that eat more and more of your hard drive space and a system that gradually slows down because of registry goop.

Enjoy!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.