Apple Said to Be Increasing Production of Rumored 10.5-inch iPad Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is said to be boosting production of its upcoming 10.5-inch iPad Pro, making launch of the new form-factor tablet over the next couple of months increasingly probable, according to sources in the Taiwanese supply chain.

DigiTimes reported on Friday that shipments for the company's 10.5-inch iPad Pro are expected to increase to 600,000 units in July, up from around 500,000 units currently, with annual shipments said to reach 5 million units this year, said market watchers.

[​IMG]

Previously, reports suggested Apple's manufacturing partners reportedly began limited production of the new-size tablet in March, but rumors have lacked consensus regarding when Apple will launch the device, with suggestions of an early April event having failed to materialize.

However, since that time, noted KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has claimed there is a "greater than 70 percent chance" that Apple will unveil the long-rumored tablet at WWDC in June, based on the timing of production ramp-up.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro is expected to have a similar form factor as the current 9.7-inch model, but squeezes in a larger display thanks to narrower bezels. Analysts say Apple is hoping the device will mark the company's resurgence in the tablet market, given that sales of iPads have declined for 13 consecutive quarters, with consumers seeing little reason to upgrade the tablets they already own.

However, at least one Apple pundit has suggested the company could wait until October to launch the 10.5-inch iPad, in order to avoid spoiling the design of the much-rumored "iPhone 8" with an edge-to-edge OLED display, which is expected to be announced in September.

Today's DigiTimes report also touches on a rumored upgrade to Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro, with some market watchers claiming the device could begin mass production in June, "with stable shipments in the third quarter". Meanwhile, Apple's sale expectations for its recently launched low-cost 9.7-inch iPad are "expected to accelerate Apple's pace on phasing out the iPad mini 4 from the market", according to sources.
    Despite the launch of new iPads this year, market watchers still expect Apple's tablet shipments to fall compared to 2016. Worldwide tablet shipments were around 8.74 million units in the first quarter and the release of the 10.5-inch iPad Pro should shore up the second quarter's tablet shipments to 8.9 million units, claimed the report.

Article Link: Apple Said to Be Increasing Production of Rumored 10.5-inch iPad Pro

2. recoil80, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

recoil80 macrumors 68000

I didn't remember any leak (pics) about this product, did I miss something or they managed to keep it secret?

3. fokmik macrumors 68000

10.5" display in not a leak ?

4. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

So, iPad consumer demand and orders are falling despite rising production and inventory. Yet pricing stays consistent? Only Apple!

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree. It's been leaked. There hasn't been much more than the 10.5" rumors and some basic feature additions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an updated 12.9" released at the same time with similar or better features.

Maybe a 13.3" in the same form factor.

Also increase the functionality of the Pencil.

6. canny macrumors regular

canny

I, and thousands of others, would prefer an updated MacBook Air with retina screen. iPad sales have been falling for the last four years.

7. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I meant pictures of the shell, blueprints, this kind of stuff

8. addictive macrumors regular

Unlikely an edge to edge display for the iPad would be announced before the new iteration of the iPhone which is also likely to be edge to edge.

The iPhone is the most important consumer product across all industries, I don't believe Apple is going to preview it with the iPad with the conventional iPhone announcement only months away.

However, I would like to see three versions of the iPad Pro - 10.5, 12.9 and a new Mini also with an enlarged edge to edge display. They would all simply be known as iPad Pro.

9. Sunny1990, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

"Apple's pace on phasing out the iPad mini 4 from the market", according to sources" :- Macrumors Said

Apple should Discontinue 9.7 model as it will be close to 10.5 form factor and keep 7.9 inch model alive. it's the best Size tablet in my opinion.

10. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

If it's edge to edge, where am I supposed to put my thumb?

11. fokmik macrumors 68000

while for the 9.7" is nice to shrink down the bezels and make a BIGGER display...i think for the larger 12.9" the way to go is to KEEP the display size but thanks to shrink down bezels to have a more compact and lighter device

12. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Good point, unless they want to show some iOS 11 features supported only by this new iPad.
    But I find it unlikely, and if the new iPad is bezel less like the new iPhone they'll wait until September and launch both at the same time

13. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Maybe. But is it really that big of a deal?

Like, potential customers are going to say... "Ehh.. Who cares about this stupid new iPhone 8, the 10.5" iPad already had narrow bezels!"
    I just don't see those two as having that much to do with each other. And releasing them far apart actually increases the chances of a given individual buying both. If the iPhone 7 still sold as well as it did despite not having a fully new design, I don't see an earlier released new iPad hurting reception of the iPhone 8 just because there are some design language similarities between the two.

14. spook macrumors regular

Go find a Mac thread

15. philryan macrumors newbie

Apple is a huge company, and the iPad and Mac divisions are each huge. Doing one thing (update the iPad) has absolutely no bearing on Apple as a company being able to do the other (update the MBA). The release timing may be affected, but that's all.

16. fokmik macrumors 68000

its ok, seems Apple will update the macbook line up at WWDC

17. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I'm in that weird spot where I wan't something bigger than my current 9,7-inch iPad as I mostly use it as a display in bed, as a secondary display at work etc.. And the 9,7-inch display, while handy for travelling is just a tad bit too small for what I use it for.

But grabbing the iPad Pro 12,9-inch doesn't make any sense at this point as it's getting old, and the pricing like with most Apple products is too expensive considering how old it is. I hope this new 10,5-inch might be big enough, but I doubt it and for me it's really weird that Apple does not update their "Pro" iPad more often.

18. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

I agree with this. I don't see the two having any effect on the other. In fact, I'll likely buy both. I don't see this 10.5 iPad being "edge to edge" exactly. Thinner bezels, maybe thinner overall, but that is it. Which is just fine by me. Hoping for a solid state home button and touch ID 2 also.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

They need to make the smaller pro the new regular iPad and just charge $100 less for it.

20. 62tele macrumors 6502a

They'll ship 5,000,000 this year? That's not too shabby for a product line (iPad) that is in such "decline". That's a pretty profitable business in and of itself.

21. CristianM macrumors member

CristianM

What's wrong with the 12" model? Is the screen too small? Because otherwise it is a retina macbook air in every way.

22. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

I am not even sure why I want this thing. I have sold every iPad I have owned. But I do.

23. peg27 macrumors newbie

24. 007p macrumors 6502a

We have no idea what kind of software improvements they have instore for the ipad at WWDC either. I would agree with you, that 5m is amazing if it stays with the pointless blown up phone OS.

But Apple do have the potential to change a lot at WWDC, afterall, demoing new OS changes on a new ipad really would help...what better way to sell more 'pros' than to release a 'pro' only OS (/pro only OS changes). I don't see it happening given how often they have been a let down (wasn't iOS 10 literally split screen safari and it was glanced over in 20 seconds last time?).... but it is something that could happen :O

25. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

What 12" model? Do you mean the iPad? Or the 13" MacBook Pro? I thought the 13" Macbook pro without touch bar was basically the Air replacement (though they could drop the price a little more :)

Who knows, if Apple throws in mouse pointer / device support in iOS 11 for the new iPads it would inch them closer to being able to handle a little more "traditional desktop" work.