Apple Said to Receive 16-Inch MacBook Pro Shipments This Quarter, Launch Timing Remains Unclear

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While it is unclear if the widely rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro will launch in 2019 or 2020, the latest report from DigiTimes claims that Apple will begin receiving volume shipments of the notebook in the fourth quarter of this year. Taiwan-based manufacturer Quanta Computer is said to be the key supplier.

The report reiterates that the 16-inch MacBook Pro will have an ultra-thin-bezel design, suggesting the overall size of the notebook might be similar to the existing 15-inch MacBook Pro despite having a larger display.

16-inch MacBook Pro concept by MacRumors

Apple receiving volume shipments of the 16-inch MacBook Pro in the fourth quarter does not necessarily mean the notebook will launch in the fourth quarter. Apple may simply be planning to stockpile the 16-inch MacBook Pro ahead of the U.S. government's proposed 15 percent import tariff on an additional round of Chinese goods, including notebooks, slated to take effect December 15.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo originally said the 16-inch MacBook Pro would launch in the fourth quarter of 2019 with an all-new design, including a scissor switch keyboard. As of late, however, Kuo has more vaguely stated that a "new MacBook model" with a scissor keyboard will launch in mid 2020. It's unclear if the "new MacBook model" that Kuo has referred to more recently is the 16-inch MacBook Pro.

Multiple images corresponding to a 16-inch MacBook Pro have been found in macOS Catalina in recent weeks, including one that reveals that Touch ID will likely be separated from the Touch Bar on the notebook.

The leaked Touch Bar design lends credence to the Esc key also being a separate, physical key again, as can be seen when zooming in to the previously leaked 16-inch MacBook Pro icon.

MacRumors has confirmed the location of the Touch Bar image in macOS Catalina. The filename includes "Device16."

Leaked 16-inch MacBook Pro vs current 15-inch MacBook Pro image. Touch Bar and size differences pic.twitter.com/b1qJvuo2hM - MacRumors.com (@MacRumors) October 31, 2019

DigiTimes previously said the 16-inch MacBook Pro would launch by the end of October, and today is the final day of the month. The site does not have the best track record when it comes to the timing of new Apple products, but its connections within Apple's supply chain are occasionally accurate.

Article Link: Apple Said to Receive 16-Inch MacBook Pro Shipments This Quarter, Launch Timing Remains Unclear

Last edited:

jlocker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Why stockpile? Get them out and not have to pay to store them... c’mon supply line genius...

yeah I really don’t think that they are stockpiling. Here’s hoping for a ‘pro’ press release.
They have so many during a launch, just like a new iPhone then they start ramping up production as more units sell. If you have some stock pile you do not get a long lead time to get a unit. Or a unit that will be super popular config right out of the gate. If you do a build selection and the order goes to Apple they can usually get it built and shipped within two weeks. Even a two weeks wait is better than the old days of two or three months. :)
- - Post merged: - -

From the .gif on twitter - looks like the body size will be a bit bigger?
Adds air flow in case helps with Thermal Throttling for the processor and faster speed of the unit like with a i9 processor.

jlocker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
They still have AppleTV launching tomorrow, so I can see a possible launch some time in November - December.
Well the good thing is a 16in Macbook is not like a new iPhone so Apple can ship in November or December. It is not a real high volume unit like a iPhone. I am sure the factory can pump out Macbook Pro's pretty fast if they want to ramp up production lines. They can keep up with demand and get orders from customers and fulfill the orders pretty quickly. And lets say the 13 macbooks or the Air units have slower production they can change up the line to make more of the 16in units. :)

nto4gaming

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2019
I'm so confused right now. I work night shift and haven't been getting a lot of sleep due to waking up to see if Apple launched this laptop. SMH and the wife laughs at me also. :)

NJRonbo

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2007
I'm so confused right now. I work night shift and haven't been getting a lot of sleep due to waking up to see if Apple launched this laptop. SMH and the wife laughs at me also. :)
Have your wife monitor one of the Apple News sites. She can then wake you up.

I can imagine the madness in trying to sleep when there is a possible announcement pending.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
You can clearly see the surface area size of the keys is down maybe 3-5% which to me indicates a reasonable likelihood there’s a change in the mechanism
I'd be very surprised if a 3% (or 5%) difference in key size would be visible in the given photos.

jlocker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Looks like a slightly refreshed 2019 Macbook pro to me. The current models have an improved keyboard. However my next laptop will likely be a Thinkpad.
Should have WIFI 6, Faster Intel Processors, 16in display with fastest AMD mobile video card available for a laptop, 64gb ram model, better thermals and could have some other tricks up its sleeve. This still will be a very good Macbook Pro and a machine that will last for years.

Last edited: