Apple Says $29 Battery Replacements Are One-Per-iPhone When Device Passes Diagnostic Test

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iPhone users hoping to double dip on Apple's discounted $29 battery replacements this year may find themselves out of luck.

[​IMG]

While we previously confirmed that Apple is offering $29 battery replacements to any customer with an iPhone 6 or newer regardless of diagnostic result, Apple has indicated that this policy can only be taken advantage of once, according to new fine print on its iPhone service pricing page.

In other words, after you've had your iPhone's battery replaced once this year, the device must explicitly fail the diagnostic test to qualify for any additional battery replacements for $29. If the test passes, a customer can still choose to have the battery replaced, but Apple's standard $79 fee applies.

Apple says iPhone batteries are designed to retain up to 80 percent of their original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles, and this is likely the primary benchmark for its diagnostic test, but results may vary.

While it's unlikely customers would need to have their iPhone battery replaced more than once in a year, some people may have planned on taking advantage of the $29 deal now, and then again near the end of 2018, as the combined $58 cost for two replacements would still be cheaper than the standard $79.

Apple reduced the price of iPhone battery replacements as part of its apology over a lack of communication about the power management changes it made starting in iOS 10.2.1. The discount is effective immediately and available worldwide through December 31, 2018. Prices vary outside of the United States.

To initiate the process, read our guide on how to get your iPhone's battery replaced with an appointment at an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or by mailing the device to an Apple Repair Center.

Article Link: Apple Says $29 Battery Replacements Are One-Per-iPhone When Device Passes Diagnostic Test

2. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

So this kicks the can down the road until these devices get older so they hope they won't have to deal with it.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. FeasiblePear macrumors newbie

You must also have an original Apple battery in your phone to get it replaced. Apple will not replace a 3rd party battery for safety issues. They also will not put in a new battery if your phone is missing a battery, but they couldn't give me a reason why not.

5. Tazadrt macrumors newbie

Tazadrt

Someone somewhere will turn this into a lawsuit.

6. recoil80 macrumors 68000

So basically you get the first one with a discount, then you pay the usual price unless the battery is bad.
    Makes sense to me. The important thing is being able to replace the battery for $29 at least once even if their diagnostic test says the battery is fine. I'm planning to change my dad's iPhone 6 battery later this year, it isn't really bad but the phone is more than 3 years old and it ought to have more than 1000 cycles. By replacing the battery the phone will continue to work with a decent battery life for at least another 3 years

7. viperGTS macrumors 68000

I didn't think Apple would find a way to make this worse, yet they did.

8. theheadguy macrumors 65816

What a mess, Apple. Tsk tsk. Should have been transparent from the beginning. You did this to yourself.

9. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Has Apple announced the intent to make the power management options visible, with toggles so users can opt to use them or not? Put in a new battery is nice but if the same stuff comes back into play a little further down the road, wouldn't we rather have the option of flipping a toggle in iOS instead of having to then buy a new battery over and over? I would.

Proactive Note (to the defenders/apologists): such an option forces nothing on you. If Apple has it exactly right "as is" from your perspective, the OPTIONAL toggle(s) for OTHERS to flip or not flip would have zero effect on your experience.

10. Narcaz, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

Narcaz macrumors 6502

This is getting ridiculous. As long as there is a mismatch between the genius diagnostic and the ios data (that causes the throttling) the customer should get a replacement, especially when he is paying for it. I really hope one of the lawsuits reveals Apple throttling mechanism and battery design in detail. There is something fishy about this whole thing. Apple says it's not permanent, but nearly every user report i read so far suggests it is rather permanent and disappears with a new battery.

11. k1121j macrumors 6502a

k1121j

I still don't get why apple gets to choose who can get a battery replaced and who can't. even when it was at full price they would turn people away..... shoot if I'm paying for it just replace it Apple some people don't want to wait for a crap battery to replace it and have the means to do so before then........

12. SoApple macrumors regular

Have people with the iPhone 6, who had the battery swap, notice an improvement in performance? My sister had her battery swapped but still says her phone is slow.

13. rikscha macrumors 6502a

thanks, I was about to ask that. Bummer, just replaced mine 2 months ago with 3rd party.

14. themick4u macrumors 6502

themick4u

Before this story broke the news, I had recently replaced the battery in my 6 plus with a kit you can purchase online here and yes, i can tell you it has improved the speed significantly and, the battery holds up better throughout the day running 11.x.x iOS.... If you have a 6, its time to change the battery (if not already changed).

15. Will do good macrumors 6502a

Will do good

What do you expect them to do, replace discounted batteries forever?

16. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Yes thats because the whole thing became a witch hunt. People are mistakingly thinking that the normal performance drop with every new more demanding iOS update is linked to this.

Your phone will perform overall slower after a few years regardless of your battery health.

iOS itself becomes more demanding and both things are being thrown into the same hat.

You can't expect a three year old phone to run as smoothly as 2-3 iOS versions ago.

17. Act3 macrumors 68000

maybe make the price more reasonable. $79 seems a bit much for a consumable

18. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Out of warranty they're not under any obligation to open up your iPhone, yet they are allowing one battery replacement per device even if it passes their tests. Stop trying to drum up negativity and sensationalism where there really isn't any.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2018 ---
    They're not choosing that at all.

They're choosing whether they (Apple) are willing to change the battery since you know, they're the ones doing the work.

If you so wish you can choose to take your phone to a 3rd party who will replace a battery for you.

19. pran76 macrumors member

Depends on whether the phone was being throttled. If it was getting slower due to the iOS updates and not the throttling, then it would be the same. Does she use anything processor intensive(such as games etc).

Mine jumped dramatically. it was dead slow and everything was lagging. I have very specific examples of not being able to run modes of certain games, and then once the battery was changed, i could finally run them without it lagging extremely.

20. stfat macrumors newbie

stfat

Anyone know if this applies to iPads too? Hands down they do the same thing

21. autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

Dang, at $29 I was going to go in every day to get it replaced.

But seriously, as much as Apple screwed up on this whole thing, I don't think most people would/should expect you could do this more than once a year. Makes sense to me.

22. Fuma419 macrumors newbie

Went to the Apple store for my scheduled battery replacement. My 6S shuts down at about 40% battery consistently. They ran diagnostics and said my battery was still in good shape! Interesting. I kindly asked them to replace it anyways, so I am waiting for them to get more batteries in stock then I will make another appointment and trip to the Apple store. Not sure why they scheduled me for a battery replacement when they didn’t have replacements. Apple sure is going down hill

23. cmaier macrumors G4

Once they are out if warranted they don’t have to deal with it.

24. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

Actually it doesn’t seem too much considering you can buy AppleCare.

25. gnipgnop macrumors 6502a

Most performance issues that occur within 100% charge down to 20% charge are unlikely to be specific to the battery unless it's already at EOL.