Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RtWrecklezX

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
Thank the gods this was false. Could you imagine dropping your phone once and losing FaceID because the components were too fragile.

AZ63

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Can we all just agree now that 99% of what these so-called "analysts" spout out is complete rubbish?

They're given so much airtime and manage to define the narrative despite being so wrong so often.

For Apple to denounce a story this comprehensively is quite unprecedented.
It is the premiere tech in their premiere phone, they had to come out strong against the story.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
If apple did dumb down face ID, which I very much doubt. We'll know how good it is soon enough and this seems like fake news to try and down play face IDs abilities when it looks totally amazing and has potential to further it's usefulness within apps that use the camera. How you even be down on a product without hands on? it's all baseless speculation.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
We manufacture medical items.
It's possible we may have issues holding a tolerance on a particular aspect of a customers drawing.
Whilst it's not something we often do, it's not totally unheard of to contact a customer and discuss the issue.
Perhaps the area affected is not THAT critical.
One had to remember, not all tolerances and dimension are there because they have to be that exact.
Someone at a CAD design package can just apply a typical tolerance to an aspect of the design.
The important thing is the areas that HAVE to be exact for the device to function are exact.

Silly example. A broom handle has a diameter so it fits in the hole in the broom head.
Perhaps there is a issue with keeping the handle dead size all the way along it's shaft and someone put a +/- 0.5mm on the shaft so it fits in the hole.
So you are having issues with this tolerance all the way along the entire shaft. It's +0.75mm in the middle and -0.75mm at the opposite end.
It's out of tolerance.
However, the customer may say, it's fine, as long as it is no worse that that, and is within original tolerance where it needs to be.

Reactions: Atomic Walrus

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
As long as it work, who cares? It’s still essentially in beta mode as it’s barely going to reach consumers next week.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
It‘s very simple: Gurman used to have sources inside Apple while he was with 9to5mac, which landed him the job at Bloomberg. Now his sources have run dry, which is very obvious because he didn‘t have a „scoop“ in ages, and so in his desperation he pulled this s**t from thin air.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
True or not.. what else would you expect Apple to say in this case?

C'mon Apple isn't Samsung - they're not going to blatantly lie about the specific item detailed here - besides it being wrong, it'd open them up to liability with the courts and their execs are too smart for that.

If they had "no comment" then you'd have some serious traction with the issue being possibly true - but that wasn't the case.

Reactions: CPx

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Can we all just agree now that 99% of what these so-called "analysts" spout out is complete rubbish?

They're given so much airtime and manage to define the narrative despite being so wrong so often.

For Apple to denounce a story this comprehensively is quite unprecedented.

No we can't. The discrepancies most often come between the information from Apple suppliers and Apple itself. You are free to believe what Apple says but keep in mind they have much more incentive to lie in such cases than the suppliers (which hardly have any incentive to do it). In this case, if Sharp says that they are mounting the modules with relaxed margins and Apple says that they did not change anything what exactly makes Apple more believable?
[doublepost=1508958293][/doublepost]
Bloomberg is trying to impact APPL stock price.

And Apple is not? Interesting.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Unless the lowering of the standard materially changes the level of Face-ID's security (1 in 1m) that Apple has already stated there is no reason for Apple to open up a Pandora's box here.

Now I would expect professional reviewer's -- esp. the elite ones that will have the first units -- to ask Apple if their unit has an original sensor or a modified one and to include that info -- or Apple's non-answer -- in the review. That is their job. As a consumer, I'm not phased about this report one way or the other.

Those of us that use Apple products over other makers already put an enormous amount of faith in the company that they will, to the extent the law allows, protect our personal information and security. So if this tweak is true is nothing to me until it's proven to significantly hamper use or security. Barring that it's just another of millions of internal changes that has no real effect on my usage of the product.

Looks like they responded Lol. ;)

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
C'mon Apple isn't Samsung - they're not going to blatantly lie about the specific item detailed here - besides it being wrong, it'd open them up to liability with the courts and their execs are too smart for that.

If they had "no comment" then you'd have some serious traction with the issue being possibly true - but that wasn't the case.

What liability? Did they put any assembly details in the iPhone documentation? I am not saying they are lying. I am just saying there is plenty of wiggle room for them to say whatever they want to say. Did not they claim once that there were no issues with the antenna? Or the case rigidity? Only to go and fix the problems later.

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
So 1st they declined comment, then they come with this rebuttal. Was we expecting them to say..."YEA, we downgraded it, so what" lol!

It's not unusual to decline to comment. PR probably wanted to get with higher ups before they said anything.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
No but it's called Marketing tactics.. they do this all the time. People still believe 5.8" iPhone X has more view-able real estate than iPhone Plus 5.5" screen.. just because Apple claims it does. But just working in X-code will tell you that isn't the case at all... again it's not a lie.. it's a marketing tactic. They have shareholders.

Care to quote where Apple said the iPhone X has “more viewable real estate than iPhone 8 Plus”

Because I’ve never seen Apple make such a claim. In fact quite the opposite. The developer videos posted by Apple in WWDC app reiterate multiple times in a single video that the display has the exact same pt dimensions as a 4.7” iPhone, with additional height. They then compare it to the Plus display, which has more horizontal points.

They can’t lie to developers when it’s KIND OF important for them to get layouts adjusted properly.

You can’t just make things up in your mind to argue something you’ve convinced yourself to be true.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I will admit I was wrong, I felt the other news story reporting that they lowered the accuracy was plausible, its clear that Apple is denying the action - kudos to them.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
True or not.. what else would you expect Apple to say in this case?

Well, if it were true, they'd likely remain silent. Instead, they said something, and they won't be caught lying in public.
[doublepost=1508959981][/doublepost]
I will admit I was wrong, I felt the other news story reporting that they lowered the accuracy was plausible, its clear that Apple is denying the action - kudos to them.

I think it's a far reach to think they would lower the quality. I think they'd remove numbers like "30k dots" from their website first.

They very well may have relaxed some of the tests without lower the quality, so there may still be some truth to this story, rather than it being 100% false. We'll never know, but we do know (as per Apple's response) that the accuracy of the Face ID feature has not been reduced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.