Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eggbrother

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Yup. Like my Santa Rosa mbp didn't have a defective nvidia gpu. When every other company that used them said they were bad. Apple would never lie about anything.

Drop test confirms Apple totally lied about the glass back on the iPhone 8
http://bgr.com/2017/09/25/iphone-8-plus-case-needed-drop-test-oof/
This is just one of the unlimited of lies from Apple

Key sentence from the article:
"Apple has been known to bend and stretch the truth from time to time"

Reactions: BaltimoreMediaBlog

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
No one knows that for sure though. This is why I said.. what else can Apple say right now? They have to say it's false.. even if it's true. No way on earth they'll admit an issue. There might not even be one. I've worked hand in hand with many companies who downgrade specifications to make the market. Happens more often than not.. doesn't mean there's a problem with the finished good. Should be interesting once these devices hit the market though.
problem is they are not giving themselves a way out saying "completely false" if there was any doubt, they would have said 'inaccurate' - they are publicly traded company - outright lying and getting caught would be horrible PR

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Props to Apple for quickly setting the record straight. Still a day one buy for me.
Don’t think they had a choice with this one really. Just wish rumor sites didn’t live and die by these stories. Most often it’s just anecdotal or partial data from somewhere in the supply chain and we don’t have the full picture or context. But it drives clicks/page views so it won’t stop.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Drop test confirms Apple totally lied about the glass back on the iPhone 8
http://bgr.com/2017/09/25/iphone-8-plus-case-needed-drop-test-oof/
This is just one of the unlimited of lies from Apple

Key sentence from the article:
"Apple has been known to bend and stretch the truth from time to time"
While I HATE when companies use carefully worded statements to make something seam better than it is, it's entirely possible that some parameter they tested does qualify it as the strongest glass ever on a smartphone. A drop test isn't going to be able to confirm or discredit that.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
problem is they are not giving themselves a way out saying "completely false" if there was any doubt, they would have said 'inaccurate' - they are publicly traded company - outright lying and getting caught would be horrible PR
It's a play on words, they can say whatever they want. Just like the people who claimed there is an issue. Eventually it's either going to matter or it won't once users have time to mess around with their devices.

thornburg

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2017
I don't see anywhere in the Bloomberg article (or anywhere else) which specifications were relaxed, or by how much.

It *does* say that the relaxed specs led to faster testing of completed modules.

As an example of the sort of specification we might be talking about:

If this were a screen, instead of a dot projector, there would a "maximum dead pixels" spec. That spec might be zero, or it might be 10,000. Raising it from, say, 5 to 10 would "relax" the spec and improve yields. If it's a sufficiently high-res display viewed from far enough back, these small numbers of individual dead pixels might not actually be noticeable.

If we translate this to the dot projector, we know it has 30,000 dots. We also know that Face ID works even if you change some things (hairstyle, makeup, hat, etc), so we know that it does not need all 30,000 dots to correctly recognize a face.

So one spec they could have relaxed might be the number of active dots.

I would guess Apple's original spec was "zero inactive dots". They could easily raise this to 20 or more without having a noticeable impact on the function of the product.

Another possibility is simply the thoroughness of testing for defects. They may have originally required multiple checks to pass certain test, and now they are only requiring one (or some other number which is smaller than the original).

I think the Bloomberg article sensationalizes something that probably isn't a big deal.

I also don't think they're lying, or that Apple is.

"Apple relaxed the specs" and "Face ID is just as accurate as we said it is" are not incompatible statements.

You can relax the manufacturing specs without relaxing the functional requirements.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Would I give a flying monkey? Personally of course not. I would take a smaller form factor device with a larger screen to body ration anytime instead of a large brick with a decade old style bezels. Reason I never got the plus version of iPhone is the ridiculous size of the overall device. Far to large to go in a guys pocket!
Some people don't care, some do. I couldn't stand how small the X was compared to the Plus model. Screen size wise I was a bit shocked it didn't show the same amount content. I've been mainly a plus user since they released that size, can't see me downgrading. Next year will have a Plus model for my tastes and then I may or may not jump to get it.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
So you’re suggesting Apple is lying? If the report was true Apple wouldn’t comment.
Nope, not saying they are lying at all. It's all about context and play on words. They know what they are doing, they've been around long enough to play the PR game.

kdarling

macrumors P6
If the report was true Apple wouldn’t comment.

Sometimes I despair at how many people are unable to read a PR statement and determine what was actually said or not.

• In this case, Apple's statement said nothing about whether or not production test specs had changed, which is the supposed info that the original Bloomberg article had been based on.
  • Apple only claimed that the end accuracy had not been changed, which is all that most people care about.

I do think it's quite possible that they lowered some test specs in order to speed up production. I also think it's quite possible that such changes had no effect on the end result.

Too many people & writers are making the assumption that one thing automatically affects the other.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Props to Apple for quickly setting the record straight. Still a day one buy for me.
NO!! NOOOOOO!! Everyone that was going to purchase this phone on early Friday morning should heed this warning that the tech is not ready and don't order!! Especially don't order on early Friday morning! You don't want this boondoggle!

Look into my eyes.... you do not want it...you do not want it....unfavorite it.... unfavorite it....

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I'm sorely tempted by iPhone X, it's my phone update cycle anyway (2 years)... but I'm loathe to get a first generation device.. I was always rewarded by getting the 'S' version, which is what the original version should have been in the first place..

Perhaps I'll wait for 2018.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
i can't imagine apple could make a supply change decision a month before a new product is about to launch - if any changes were made they'd have to be done so months ago.

Not To mention, its suspicious that this article is surfacing just days before the iPhone pre-ordering process. I find It extremely unlikely changes would be made a month prior to the launch come November 3. I'm Glad Apple clarified this and debunked this bogus rumor.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
To degrade the specs at the last minute would have cost more time, not less. Wake up people.

Also, that piece of fake news has been carefully timed to go out when everyone in California was sleeping. Just like you do when you launch an atomic first strike :)
Likewise it wouldn't have done any good to do it a few weeks before pre-sale either. At that point you are super locked in and just the lawyering involved in renegotiating the service level agreements would take time as well. They can't just pick up the phone and say "Hey you can totally relax Q/A on the most important part of this new phone."
[doublepost=1508954164][/doublepost]
Drop tests are completely unscientific drivel.
Speaking of glass backs.. I suppose I could google it but is anyone making/considering a tempered glass protector for the back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.