Apple Says Face ID Didn't Fail Onstage During iPhone X Keynote

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

During an iPhone X demo conducted by Craig Federighi in yesterday's keynote, Face ID appeared to fail to recognize his face, leading to doubts about the feature's reliability and accuracy.

There was a lot of speculation about just what went wrong on stage, ranging from a Face ID failure to a passcode lock, and according to Apple, it was the latter issue that caused the device not to work properly on stage. In a statement provided to Yahoo's David Pogue, Apple says the device locked after several people interacted with it ahead of Federighi, causing it to require a passcode to unlock.
    While Touch ID locks the iPhone and requires users to input a passcode after five failed entry attempts, Face ID only allows for two failed recognition attempts before it locks the iPhone and requires a passcode to access the device, according to developer documentation. There were arguments over how many times Federighi attempted to unlock the iPhone X with Face ID while on stage given that two attempt limitation, but Apple's explanation makes sense. A secondary iPhone X unlocked with no issues during the demonstration.

The ins and outs of Face ID and its reliability will remain largely unknown until the iPhone X launches in November and is in the hands of customers. Members of the media received hands-on time with the device following the event, but reviews were somewhat mixed. Most people were generally impressed with Face ID and saw it work seamlessly, but there was also at least one report of a problems with the feature not working until the display was turned on and off.

Face ID uses infrared scanning techniques to create a mathematical model of a user's face, which is compared to a facial scan stored on the device to authenticate. Because it uses infrared, Face ID works in the dark and in low lighting conditions, and Apple says it also works with hats, glasses, and beards, makeup, and other items that might partially obscure the face.

Article Link: Apple Says Face ID Didn't Fail Onstage During iPhone X Keynote

2. pgharavi macrumors regular

pgharavi

3. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Oh ok

First impressions sometimes can be the last tho?

4. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

5. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

6. mi7chy, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Not surprised at the denial. It was clear Craig had to wipe the stage makeup off his face for it to work.

Click to zoom in.
    makeup.png

Fast forward to 0:50.

7. Starfyre, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

So what this means is if I am showing a funny text on my lockscreen to my friends... the phone is going to go into "require a passcode mode" after it gets passed around to 3 of my friends before it gets back to me?

If this were Touch ID, this wouldn't be an issue. I don't think each one of my friends would be "touching the home button" of my phone with each of their fingers. (sounds dirty)

8. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Only if you lock the phone before you pass it to your friends.

9. aidler macrumors member

So in essence if you are the only person that ever comes near your iPhone it workes perfect. If not it's like the old days when there was only the passcode. Perfect - like magic

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Yay and nay. So if someone is admiring my phone etc, faceid will ask for my passcode ..... so always actively trying to unlock

Not a great experience

11. Keymaster macrumors member

Sounds like it keeps it pretty secure, but it does mean you'll be using your passcode more if you have your phone out in a crowd and it starts trying to find faces. I wonder how it decides when you're trying to open it...that logic will determine how often it seems to get it wrong. That's an issue, a lot of people will think it's failing if this happens a lot.

I do like the fact that you can't be forced to open the phone...apparently you just need to close your eyes and it will fail to recognize your face. I can't wait for all the testing where people try to get into it without permission, should be fun to watch.

12. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I hope that's true. So I can buy the X on the first day.

13. Jsameds macrumors 68030

No since you looked at the screen first it would have already unlocked.

14. zhandri macrumors 6502

this is the problem. whatever really caused it but this will alwas be "face id fails on first ever public attempt to unlock the phone". i think it was also bad how craig reacted to it. he obviously shocked and surprised but i also don't understand how they can't make sure everything is working before they start showing the phone

15. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

"People who no longer work at Apple" the representative added.

16. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Tougher than Touch ID.

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

All this over nothing. Beta software on pre-release hardware. So what if it had an issue.

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

That's about right

19. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Yeah he could've explained what happened and reset the clock instead he went with "ho ho ho" like he was Santa
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    You can have my preorder slot

20. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Plausible excuse.

So, people were handling the phone that failed, but no one handled the secondary phone?

Still seems like a huge mistake when you’re showing it off for the first time!

21. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Edited my reply after thinking it through.

22. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

How impressive! A delayed explanation for how much of a fail the demo was...

Perfect!

Don't show, tell!

23. BvizioN, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

As it has been said, it will only try to unlock when eyes are looking at it. I can't think of a scenario where a crowd of people would be looking at my locked phone.

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The demo is not relevant. And even after the event it was only apple employees that were set up for face id.

When it hits the wild we will know if it's just markerting or if the system really works flawlessly. From Touch ID experience , wait for rev b or c

25. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

If apple wants to send me a demo unit, that I will return to them, to turn me from a skeptical naysayer to an evangelist, I'm open to it!

Otherwise I'll go with: meh?