Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
This is what I was waiting for. There is always a disclaimer, a catch, a new gate after every iPhone release...especially when new thing are done to it.

Pretty sure it will be permanent eventually. Just like the ridiculous advice they provide customers to use alcohol to wipe their screens. False promises.

I am surprised they not promoting their Ultra Cloth to undo the smudges.

cjgrif

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Salisbury, MD
Man the stainless steel looks more durable. I wonder if this is an issue with the natural titanium as well. Watch ultra owners must have some experience I take it?
I've never noticed any issues on the ultra between sweat, body lotion, or greasy fingers. Then again, it also gets a rinse in the shower once a day.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
hence why the Apple Polishing Cloth compatible devices list now includes the iPhone 15 Pro & Max 😂

If this was a support document updated today... this means it either wasn't noticed during materials and product testing, or that it was noticed but not considered such an issue that they would include it in a support document. Either way, it's either a lack of in depth and rigorous product testing, or them just expecting people not to notice such things. Both bizarre to have been overlooked by such a big and successful company.
Actually they first take your money then warn you about not holding it or else it gets smudged. Why you think this is released after all preorders came in and land right one hour before the customers receive their iPhone in New Zealand?

Last edited:

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Here come AppleGloves. $99 for left, $99 for right.

Band-Costume-Formal-Dress-Parade-Inspection-Honor-Guard-Cotton-White-Gloves-for-Men-Women.webp

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
If this was a support document updated today... this means it either wasn't noticed during materials and product testing, or that it was noticed but not considered such an issue that they would include it in a support document. Either way, it's either a lack of in depth and rigorous product testing, or them just expecting people not to notice such things. Both bizarre to have been overlooked by such a big and successful company.
I've been writing about Apple for over 10 years. Apple updates this iPhone cleaning support document every year right around the time that the phones begin arriving to customers. Respectfully, you're reading into the timing too much.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Man the stainless steel looks more durable. I wonder if this is an issue with the natural titanium as well. Watch ultra owners must have some experience I take it?

It has nothing to do with titanium but the coating. It’s a bit like how the aluminium MacBook Airs in midnight look like crap after a few minutes with all the fingerprints. The lighter the colour the less notable it will be.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Who isn't using a case though. Not excusing the design choice by Apple, but I've dropped enough iPhones over the years to know better than to go in the nude.
iPhone 4 was my fav for durability. I dropped that think so many times and it never once cracked. Every other phone since you could give a slightly-dirty sideways look and you risk cracking the glass.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
If you paid attention during the keynote the baseline was environmental friendly products. Which means the materials are harvested from used products; including landfills full of old refrigerators to harvest the materials.
I don't think you even had to pay attention. It was rammed down our throats due to the lack of anything exciting to announce!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.