Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Live with it.

1695338504717.png

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Seems like the FineWoven case might have the same problem but worse. I had a fabric case on an Android phone several years ago and it’s not as cool as it sounds. There’s a reason most cases are made from non-porous materials.
I have a feeling that FineWoven case will be quietly discontinued by Apple next year. They’re probably already working on a way to minimize this issue on the titanium iPhones for next year’s 16 Pro/Pro Max. I don’t see them going back to stainless steel, but another option could be aluminum to maintain the lighter weight if the stains are irritating enough.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I personally would be fine if the Pro models used aluminum like the non-pro models, nearly everyone uses a case.

I mean it's not like Apple uses titanium on the MacBook Pro and aluminum on the MB Air.
I would be very happy with aluminum on my next Pro. It’s light, high quality and no irritating stains on darker colors as far as I know.

Reactions: klasma

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
M
If this was a support document updated today... this means it either wasn't noticed during materials and product testing, or that it was noticed but not considered such an issue that they would include it in a support document. Either way, it's either a lack of in depth and rigorous product testing, or them just expecting people not to notice such things. Both bizarre to have been overlooked by such a big and successful company.
Maybe by the time they noticed or thought it could be an issue with users, they were too far into development and couldn’t change it. Apple will probably fix this with the 16 Pro/Pro Max. Anyone buying a darker titanium 15 Pro should be fully aware of this in case they’re considering to go naked with their 15 Pro.

dwreck

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
It's not so much that you're holding it wrong, that you're holding it.

Maybe they will update support document to state that iPhone is intended to be used with Apple Watch and AirPods.. where it is necessary to touch iPhone.. please use microfibre cloth...
you’re holding it, wrong

Reactions: ohthehorror

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
If this was a support document updated today... this means it either wasn't noticed during materials and product testing, or that it was noticed but not considered such an issue that they would include it in a support document. Either way, it's either a lack of in depth and rigorous product testing, or them just expecting people not to notice such things. Both bizarre to have been overlooked by such a big and successful company.

Or...they know it will make people freak out, so they announce it as late as possible, just before the phones are in everyone's hands.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Who isn't using a case though. Not excusing the design choice by Apple, but I've dropped enough iPhones over the years to know better than to go in the nude.

I'm running my 15PM naked. Bought AppleCare this time for it

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Who isn't using a case though. Not excusing the design choice by Apple, but I've dropped enough iPhones over the years to know better than to go in the nude.
I have a friend that likes to live dangerously. He dropped his 12 Pro on a restaurant floor and cracked the back. I saw him a couple of weeks later with his repaired or replaced phone… sans case.

He explained that he liked the look and feel so much adding a case does an injustice.

See also the post above mine!

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Yeah, I find it even easier to drop if you go in the nude and covered in baby oil. Oh, wait… rereading that, I think you may have meant the phone itself. Never mind! 😀

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
It has nothing to do with titanium but the coating. It’s a bit like how the aluminium MacBook Airs in midnight look like crap after a few minutes with all the fingerprints. The lighter the colour the less notable it will be.
No they still look freaking great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.