Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Honestly this is why having an APPLE silicon Mac is so dangerous or very limiting.
M1 Macs are no faster than an 11th generation i9 Intel processor
In fact an 11th Generation Intel i9 processor BEATS an M1.

So why close yourself off on an M1 Mac that cant run Windows 10 or 11?
Then things like Printing of Faxing or hooking up your iPhone on the windows side would JUST WORK.
Why do you assume this bug is limited to M1 Macs?

I wouldn’t call the M1 dangerous or very limiting, this is a bug with an easy workaround.

And most Mac users don’t care about running Windows. Or using a desktop scanner or fax machine in 2021 for that matter. The future of Macs is Apple Silicon, claiming otherwise is wrong.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Crazy! Apple has great marketing to give the impression the hardware and software are perfect. I already moved on from Apple earlier this year. "Only solution?" Wow.
I haven't wanted to move on, but it's been too much work to keep everything working . . . or trying to. I'm not a developer at all, but I think around Yosemite I opened a free developer account to report bugs that never got fixed. I know nothing about Windows really, but nothing to lose giving it a go. Been using Apple products since the Apple II.

Reactions: Schismz

Wolf1701

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
It would be nice if macrumors or 9to5 were to act like real press and do some follow up on their "bug" articles... not just publish one post with the problem but see how, when and IF Apple is true to his word when they claim to be working on a fix.

Today's Apple need someone that can say "BS!" to improve.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I work for HP to scan you wanna use the app HP Smart not the mac printer settings one
HP Smart is terrible and requires you to make an account. So once you've bought the overpriced printer, not only do you get an ad for HP's ink subscription, then you can't even get the functionality you paid for without forking over information. I use an older HP software for scanning at work and it's far better in function, and doesn't need my personal info, let alone in a govt work environment.

BradMacPro

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I could never understand why I no longer can use the control panel on my HP ENVY printer to scan after I upgraded to Catalina. Apple must be so dumb to force us to use HP app to scan. The HP app is so möther****ïng sloooooooooooooow.

Why? Why? Why?
The printer's control panel would rely on an application always running in the background to wait for a button press. I would imagine that the application available from HP was a 32-bit application and it never got an update or you never updated it if there is an available newer release. Catalina doesn't support the old 32-bit applications.

Reactions: sintra1

BradMacPro

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
Honestly this is why having an APPLE silicon Mac is so dangerous or very limiting.

Then things like Printing of Faxing or hooking up your iPhone on the windows side would JUST WORK.

My M1 Mac mini runs Windows 11 and Outlook 2019. You seem to be misinformed. That said, I would not replace my Mac for a Windows machine even if you gave me a $20,000 workstation.

Reactions: sintra1

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
This is systemwide OS permissions problem, not just an Image Capture.app, Preview.app or HP driver issue. I shouldn't have to approve every little thing. Saving a file to documents? Pop up. Trying to open a downloaded program (not from the App Store?)? Multiple override attempts in System Preferences. It's getting ridiculous.

Big Sur reminds me of when when Microsoft first moved to UAC. Security over the user experience at all costs.

The difference with Microsoft is that Windows still remains an important part of their company strategy. Mac OS is becoming less and less important with every iOS release.

cp1160

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Image Capture/Preview/Photos is why I am moving to Android/Windows. This forum has been my life for the last four years with my iPhones:

I cannot get *any* Mac to see my iPhones, from macOS 10.12 through 11.

I was finally able to get my photos off of my phones using a Chromebook!

Apple's only solution was to use iCloud Photos.
Understand that's a big problem, not belittling it.

But I assure you the grass is not always greener on the other side. My wife has had two Android phones, a LG and Samsung, and she has never been able to plug in the phone to her PC and harvest the photos. Lots of effort into that issue with no solution. It happens, regardless of the platform.

Did you try any of the common backup options? I routinely can use iMazing to harvest about anything I want.

Reactions: JMacHack

MrENGLISH

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
I have never been able to get my Epson scanner to work on my M1 MacBook Pro.

I just tried to use my Epson scanner for the first time since upgrading my MBP to Big Sur and discovered this issue. It took a lot of google searches and trying various different things to finally stumble across the solution that worked for me.

Source: https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...-working-with-image-capture-on-macos-11-5-big

Solution:
Run the following command in the Terminal:
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Library/Image\ Capture/Devices/EPSON\ Scanner.app

Reactions: DeepIn2U

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Dealing with printers and scanners everday, trust me when I said it’s one giant cluster****. Especially between different manufacturers. Pretty muof them have their own apps they want you to use for the scanning/printing and they’re of varying quality. HP is bad, but not as bad as Dell. Toshiba and Epson are top tier.

Now, that said, Apple please give us a reduced security mode or something. I have root access on my machine and know that while my HP drivers are outdated (ancient laser printer that still works) it’s not “going to harm my computer” just because HP stopped signing it. I’m sick of seeing the stupid pop up.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I could never understand why I no longer can use the control panel on my HP ENVY printer to scan after I upgraded to Catalina. Apple must be so dumb to force us to use HP app to scan. The HP app is so möther****ïng sloooooooooooooow.

Why? Why? Why?
You need to reinstall the printer/scanner driver.

dancormier

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2006
Now, that said, Apple please give us a reduced security mode or something. I have root access on my machine and know that while my HP drivers are outdated (ancient laser printer that still works) it’s not “going to harm my computer” just because HP stopped signing it. I’m sick of seeing the stupid pop up.
100% this! I paid for my machine, let me ****ing use it however I want. If I want to run old peripherals, let me. If I want to get it repaired at a local computer shop instead of Best Buy or an Apple Store, let me. If I muck something up and need to reinstall, I can do that. I understand locking down iPhones to some extent, but over time using a Mac desktop has gone from being "it just works" to "**** everything about this". Besides, all the security warnings are meaningless when Big Sur crashes far more often than any release since Puma.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Why is something that should be so simple so damn difficult? Apple should talk with these printer manufacturers.

By the way I HATE HP. I shall NEVER buy one of their stupid, infuriating printers with their bloated, bug-ridden, terrible customer support ever again.

Kuckuckstein

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2020
100% this! I paid for my machine, let me ****ing use it however I want. If I want to run old peripherals, let me. If I want to get it repaired at a local computer shop instead of Best Buy or an Apple Store, let me. If I muck something up and need to reinstall, I can do that. I understand locking down iPhones to some extent, but over time using a Mac desktop has gone from being "it just works" to "**** everything about this". Besides, all the security warnings are meaningless when Big Sur crashes far more often than any release since Puma.
Well, Apple is entering the Windows Vista hell of user approval. Whether this is a means to “encourage” users to accept an “App Store only” future or just a bitter realization that as your eco system reaches a certain minimum size, threats get real … one can only speculate.

I use Apple stuff just as much as I do Windows machines. Long ago printing and scanning have lost their punch on my Macs - don’t remember when it derailed, but printer preferences won’t be remembered properly and scanning (Epson) has fallen back from a highly detailed, user configurable implementation to a standard system option. But it works … good enough, though most of what I could do during scanning is now delayed to post processing.

On the Windows side I have my clean, simple yet more than 10 years old stationary, that starts up and is ready to use within 15 seconds, runs super stable and is a joy to use. And then there are my work Windows computers, “state of the art” - one of them an 8 Core Xeon machine with a professional graphics card - which buckle under the ever increasing security walls my company raises. The laptop uses 50% of its power most of the time on scanning for and preventing of threats. But even the workstation has lost its punch.

I think these days Macs owe their stability solely to the underlying Unix system (and yes in comparison the Windows patch work system is more than flawed, to say it nicely), but that may be eaten into too much at one point.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Ok, since the topic of scanners has come up. What are people's recommendations for good MacOS scanners? iOS support is a bonus.

The last one I had used a SCSI port, and now I am getting pressure from the co-inhabitant that we need to declutter our archives. We have boxes of looseleaf documents of many, many sizes.

I would like to avoid a printer, if possible. We have a Brother printer that works well enough and yet I still hate them.

You won't like the printer bit, but I got myself a cheap Canon printer/scanner a few years back. The main reason was the bold label on the box that stated it supports AirPrint. That sold it for me. No drivers or intrusive software required, and it works right out of the box with iDevices and Macs. I shook my head with horror when my friend got a printer without AirPrint support, and he had to install some clunky app on his iPhone to do any printing. Shamefully bad.

It made me shiver when I remember the days of old where you needed a whole CD's worth of utilities to get an HP printer working on Windows, leading to the joy of pop-ups inviting you to re-order cartridges from their online shop.

The scanner function of my printer/scanner works just fine. Given that Apple support AirPrint natively, I suspect this is a key feature you should be looking for too.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Oh. So I guess this wasn’t the new printer’s fault. Who knew.

I’m glad it will be fixed.
Yeah I just came across this the first time last week. I though it was because my Brother laser was getting old. Brother actually had a support doc stating I had to use their Scan & Print app instead, which solved the problem. But good to know this might actually work again some day…I expect that decade-old printer to last at least another decade.

UltimoInfierno

macrumors member
May 13, 2021

Why? Why? Why?
Answer: Apple ;-)

Besides, slow scans are better than no scans, or...?

UltimoInfierno

macrumors member
May 13, 2021
Yes, Apple has turned into Boeing. More emphasis on profit and squeezing suppliers for every penny.

Windows 10 has been fantastic. Office is excellent. OneDrive is excellent. Windows 11 is great. As Steve Jobs said, "they are firing on all cylinders." They have some good leadership in place.
Ahhh.... don't get carried away!

Windows has become better and better compared to Apple over the last few years. This could also just mean, that Apples software has gotten so abysmally badly maintained, that Microsoft just has to sit back and do nothing, to run rings around Apple (sounds weird, is weird, but you get my drift ;-)

Regards

P.S. I also have recent and well maintained Microsoft Windows 10 hardware in daily use. Windows doesn't smell of roses, but Apple smells like overripe... errmmm... results from long time "green approach" to storage instead of just throwing things out.

Last edited:
Reactions: dancormier

UltimoInfierno

macrumors member
May 13, 2021

When I have to move data to/from external USB disks (USB 3.1 gen1 or Gen 2), my old Intel i5 based MacBook Pro 13 2018 (4x Thunderbolt) does that up to around 30+ percent FASTER, than when the same disk is connected to my Mac mini M1 with more "internal umph" moving the same data files in from/out to external disk.

My 2018 model MacBook has dramatically more "external umph" than any M1 I've had the.... errmmmm.... pleasure to use (I own a recent M1 with 10 gigabit connection). Both running the same Big Sur version (both suffering the same bugs).

Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: dancormier

Not Sure ☠️

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
The Ragged Western Edge
Yeah... Apple's offerings have turned to absolute garbage over the years.

Obviously the software Apple acquired from NeXT was great, but I think they also got a lot of great engineers and managers out of that. In the time since, they've lost all the talent. Now it seems like they're run by business people who are more interested in pumping stuff out than actually having it be any good.

Meanwhile, Microsoft had the opposite happen. They had been run by business people, and now they're full of technical leadership. As a result, the quality of Windows has massively improved over the past 5 years.
I would wholeheartedly disagree on the Windows improving bit, as most admins/engineers will tell you that since MS got rid of their QA department, supporting Windows has been an absolutely horrible task.

Fun things like forced updates on 10 that remove applications and licenses, break basic functionality, etc.

So while MacOS certainly has it's issues, after 25+ years of supporting multiple MS networks and many unix based ones, my experience paints a pretty horrid picture of the past 10 years at Microsoft. The Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 base still reigns as the champ for stability.

• Disagree
Reactions: SkyRom and JMacHack

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Well, Apple is entering the Windows Vista hell of user approval. Whether this is a means to “encourage” users to accept an “App Store only” future or just a bitter realization that as your eco system reaches a certain minimum size, threats get real … one can only speculate.
Eh, as someone who used Vista and MacOS. I’d say that Catalina is the only comparable OS. Big Sur has been an improvement. Though n
I use Apple stuff just as much as I do Windows machines. Long ago printing and scanning have lost their punch on my Macs - don’t remember when it derailed, but printer preferences won’t be remembered properly and scanning (Epson) has fallen back from a highly detailed, user configurable implementation to a standard system option. But it works … good enough, though most of what I could do during scanning is now delayed to post processing.
Not sure what’s going on, my printer preferrnces are remembered. Though I hate to answer “works on my machine”.
On the Windows side I have my clean, simple yet more than 10 years old stationary, that starts up and is ready to use within 15 seconds, runs super stable and is a joy to use. And then there are my work Windows computers, “state of the art” - one of them an 8 Core Xeon machine with a professional graphics card - which buckle under the ever increasing security walls my company raises. The laptop uses 50% of its power most of the time on scanning for and preventing of threats. But even the workstation has lost its punch.

I think these days Macs owe their stability solely to the underlying Unix system (and yes in comparison the Windows patch work system is more than flawed, to say it nicely), but that may be eaten into too much at one point.
Maybe. though Apple made a lot of under the hood changes with rewriting for Metal and the like. That’s been pretty stable in my experience.

Last edited:

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
I’ve had far, far more trouble and kps with Catalina than Big Sur.
Still I think it’s hyperbolic to say that it was a perfect system before. Even the most praised version, Snow Leopard had crashes and bugs in my experience, and they weren’t rare.

Still, for ****s sake let me sign my own drivers Apple.

Kuckuckstein

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2020
I would wholeheartedly disagree on the Windows improving bit, as most admins/engineers will tell you that since MS got rid of their QA department, supporting Windows has been an absolutely horrible task.

Fun things like forced updates on 10 that remove applications and licenses, break basic functionality, etc.

So while MacOS certainly has it's issues, after 25+ years of supporting multiple MS networks and many unix based ones, my experience paints a pretty horrid picture of the past 10 years at Microsoft. The Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 base still reigns as the champ for stability.
Oh I agree on that (that’s what I meant with patchwork on the Microsoft end). Unix rules.

I was merely referring to the fact that using my old Windows machine at home, with common sense in place, I live happy. Whereas any machine placed into the world of corporate security nightmare is a mess. And you can add the challenges you describe on top.

Security is well build into Unix, but I feel Apple is adding its own layer of authentication management and verification on top and just wonder whether one day it becomes a similar nightmare as the Microsoft corporate mess of layers?

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
Reformatted the HD on my 2017 MBP about a month ago, (OS had just been upgraded over the years, this was a Big Sur clean install) went to scan some documents and got this error. I knew immediately it had to be a permissions issue, just sucked up 30 mins of my time to fix something that I shouldn't have had to fix in the first place!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.