Apple Says iOS 9 Installed on More Than 50% of Active Devices, Fastest Adoption Ever

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 21, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has announced that iOS 9 is the fastest adopted software update ever, with more than 50% of active devices running the latest version as measured by the App Store on September 19.
    Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller says that iOS 9 is on pace to be downloaded by more users than any other iOS version ever released. He also said that response to the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus has been "incredibly positive," but no specific sales figures were disclosed.

iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus launch on September 25 in the U.S., Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the U.K. Last week, Apple said pre-orders for the new iPhones are "on pace to beat" last year's record-breaking 10 million iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus launch weekend.

Article Link: Apple Says iOS 9 Installed on More Than 50% of Active Devices, Fastest Adoption Ever

2. JXShine macrumors 6502

JXShine

3. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Yeah, no. I'm staying with iOS 8 on my iPhone.

4. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

I wonder if these ever increasing adoption rates are a sign of better, newer features, or an indication that users are getting tired of their current versions of iOS and want an upgrade sooner?

5. decimortis macrumors 6502a

decimortis

This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with the incessant message that a new iOS update is available popping up every time you wake your phone from sleep, would it?

6. djang0 macrumors member

I wonder how many of them are stuck on the slide-to-upgrade screen :rolleyes:

7. KALLT macrumors 601

Wasn’t that only an issue for people who used the 9.0 GM?

8. JXShine macrumors 6502

JXShine

Why does it matter? Without prompts like these, tech illiterate people would be too scared to even go into anything in the settings app. It is in apple's best interests to have people running the latest OS containing key security updates.

9. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

10. VARTV macrumors member

VARTV

You beat me to it!

11. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

This rollout had been essentially problem free. That's likely had a lot to do with it. I updated my iPhone and iPad and then waited three days. No problems for my devices, no problems reported here or the other news sites I frequent. So this weekend I bit the bullet and rolled it out to four additional systems. Last year I did one and then sat on it for two or three weeks till the bugs got sorted out. Having software that just works is a big incentive to upgrade.

12. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Given how badly iOS 8 performs on older devices , people are upgrading and praying their devices run smoother . iOS 9 was about performance ....

13. iubuntu macrumors newbie

14. odditie macrumors 6502

Could you elaborate why? I'm just curious what issues you see with iOS 9 that I'm not aware of.

15. nanoant macrumors newbie

nanoant

Yeah, thanks to that everyone that upgraded to iOS 9 can no longer use ours apps due SSL validation bug, affected several other companies using certain certificate issuers (CAs). Will see if Apple can act fast issuing patch 9.0.1 release. Note: El Capitan is not affected by this bug.

16. Northgrove macrumors 65816

It's a solid release from what I've experienced. I don't experience slowness or battery life trouble even on my iPhone 5. Living in Sweden and thus not getting Apple News, Apple Maps transit directions, the new Apple Maps PoI experience, etc... on an already largely bug fix-y release, it feels more like an iOS 8.5 than ever though. But such is life as a non-US citizen and Apple products. ;) We at least got Siri in iOS 8!

17. JXShine macrumors 6502

JXShine

You will quickly change your stance when all the apps require iOS 9 to function.

18. aroom macrumors member

aroom

19. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Not surprising, given the relevantly bug-free experience of a x.0 iOS version, the reduced space required to install and the iOS 9 public beta.

20. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So wait, the phones will be available to buy in store 8am on Friday morning? But I thought Angela was killing lines and in store sales and pushing everyone online? At least that's what people here said...

21. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Is that you?

[​IMG]

22. 2457282 Suspended

After participating in the iOS9 beta, I can certainly understand a fast adoption. I think this is a very strong upgrade. And if you have an iPad Air2, you have to upgrade so you can get the dual screen feature. I use that a lot with the few apps that support it. As that one feature gets adopted by other apps it alone makes the upgrade a must.

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Which phone? Certainly not iPhone 6. My mom's running it on an iPhone 5 with no issues.

24. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Posting in the wrong thread? iOS adoption rate .....

25. odditie macrumors 6502

Important to note that they aren't calling it the fastest adoption rate, but most downloads. The number of iOS devices in the wild has increased (plus none were left behind this time) so presumably that means that the adoption rate is possibly not as fast, but the total number of users on the new iOS is higher at the same stage.